Re: [Michalak] Re: Boat Building Cost

  • Mark Albanese
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 22 2:26 PM
      On Nov 22, 2012, at 8:10 AM, Martin Houston wrote:

      > No matter what formula you use it always costs more & takes longer
      > than you think it will. We all know this going in. There are no
      > cheap boats. If you want it bad enough, you do whatever it takes.
      > Then you will have a boat.
      >
      > _.

      Just so!

    • Donald Greer
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 22 3:36 PM
        Hmmm... Hadn't thought of that. Thanks.
        On Nov 22, 2012 4:24 PM, "Mark Albanese" <marka97203@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Actually, nice materials can accelerate your learning curve, less
        > time and money spent making up for deficiencies in the cheap stuff.
        >
        > On Nov 22, 2012, at 6:07 AM, Donald Greer wrote:
        >
        > > Tim,
        > > I'm discounting my time, but I haven't yet put it in the time to
        > > master the
        > > craft, so marine ply may be wasted on my skills. After a couple of
        > > smaller
        > > boats work out for me, then they investment makes sense, at least
        > > that's
        > > how I've been looking at it.

      • Hajo Smulders
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 22 3:42 PM
          Everybody I know that has been building boats for a while graduates to
          marine plywoods. I build my last boat in underlayment. And like all
          those other builders, I wish I had switched at least one boat
          earlier...

          Hajo Smulders
          Sent from my mobile

          On Nov 22, 2012, at 6:36 PM, Donald Greer <dgreer@...> wrote:

          > Hmmm... Hadn't thought of that. Thanks.
          > On Nov 22, 2012 4:24 PM, "Mark Albanese" <marka97203@...> wrote:
          >
          >> **
          >>

          >> Actually, nice materials can accelerate your learning curve, less
          >> time and money spent making up for deficiencies in the cheap stuff.
          >>
          >> On Nov 22, 2012, at 6:07 AM, Donald Greer wrote:
          >>
          >>> Tim,
          >>> I'm discounting my time, but I haven't yet put it in the time to
          >>> master the
          >>> craft, so marine ply may be wasted on my skills. After a couple of
          >>> smaller
          >>> boats work out for me, then they investment makes sense, at least
          >>> that's
          >>> how I've been looking at it.

        • Donald Greer
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 22 3:50 PM
            Well, you guys aren't being kind to the bank account ;) but looks like I'll
            switch to marine with #2 (#1 will be a puddle duck to get my feet wet and
            because it's.small enough to use in the tank).

            Thanks for all the advise!

            And happy Thanksgiving!

            Don
            On Nov 22, 2012 5:42 PM, "Hajo Smulders" <hajosmulders@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Everybody I know that has been building boats for a while graduates to
            > marine plywoods. I build my last boat in underlayment. And like all
            > those other builders, I wish I had switched at least one boat
            > earlier...
            >
            > Hajo Smulders
            > Sent from my mobile
            >
            > On Nov 22, 2012, at 6:36 PM, Donald Greer <dgreer@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Hmmm... Hadn't thought of that. Thanks.
            > > On Nov 22, 2012 4:24 PM, "Mark Albanese" <marka97203@...> wrote:
            > >
            > >> **
            > >>

            > >> Actually, nice materials can accelerate your learning curve, less
            > >> time and money spent making up for deficiencies in the cheap stuff.

          • Mark Albanese
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 22 4:04 PM
              My favorite for cheaper ply is the radiata pine, Arauco, which Roddis
              appears to carry. It cuts and planes without splintering and finishes
              well. Some batches have a tendency to curl, so pick you sheets
              carefully, or follow Payson's method of wetting, then drying in the sun.

              Just Tofurkey for me today, but I like it! Cheers

              On Nov 22, 2012, at 3:50 PM, Donald Greer wrote:

              > Well, you guys aren't being kind to the bank account ;) but looks
              > like I'll
              > switch to marine with #2 (#1 will be a puddle duck to get my feet
              > wet and
              > because it's.small enough to use in the tank).
              >
              > Thanks for all the advise!
              >
              > And happy Thanksgiving!

            • joe_mapango
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 22 4:17 PM
                Boat building or buying has always tended to cost me whatever money I had or could blow on it at any given time.

                I'm a vegetarian so I'm going turkey less also. Here were eating Jimmy "bean" sausage, UMMMM, better than the "real" stuff anyday!

                Chris Curtis
                S/V Romany
                curtisfamilyadventures.wordpress.com

                --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Mark Albanese <marka97203@...> wrote:

                > My favorite for cheaper ply is the radiata pine, Arauco, which Roddis
                > appears to carry. It cuts and planes without splintering and finishes
                > well. Some batches have a tendency to curl, so pick you sheets
                > carefully, or follow Payson's method of wetting, then drying in the sun.
                >
                > Just Tofurkey for me today, but I like it! Cheers
                >
                > On Nov 22, 2012, at 3:50 PM, Donald Greer wrote:
                >
                > > Well, you guys aren't being kind to the bank account ;) but looks
                > > like I'll
                > > switch to marine with #2 (#1 will be a puddle duck to get my feet
                > > wet and
                > > because it's.small enough to use in the tank).
                > >
                > > Thanks for all the advise!
                > >
                > > And happy Thanksgiving!

              • john colley
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 23 12:15 AM
                  Hmmm,don't know about that.I'll bet when you finish your first boat ,you'll be so proud of your self that you'll regret not using good stuff..There is no mistake so big that you cannot fix with enough epoxy.I built my first boat straight from my head,no plans.Used marine ply and stitch and glue techniques i picked from John Welsfords excelent book Back yard boat builder. .

                  -Sigurd Olson

                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 23 12:28 AM
                    I agree with you.Minecost me as much as a fibreglass production canoe,But it has WAY more character.

                    -Sigurd Olson