Re: [Michalak] zip tie stitching

  • Hajo Smulders
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 21, 2012
      I kept breaking zip ties on my mixer2. That boat has a similar hull to
      caroline. But mixer2 is all 1/4" plywood, Caroline has a 1/2" bottom going
      into 3/8" sides (My guess looking at the sheet count).
      I ended up (And suggest it to you as well) using metal ties slowly
      tightened over the lengt of the seams. I then use a small diameter spatula
      to apply fillets in between the ties. (Just smoothed dabs really). Then
      turned the hull, removed ties, applied epoxy goop to the seam, applied
      tape. turn hull again, apply fillet over whole seam with wider spatula,
      tape fiberglass. Worked perfectly.

      Hajo
      --
      "War is only a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."
      (Thomas Mann)

      On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 1:43 PM, okiebobby@... <okiebobby@...>wrote:

      > **
      >

      > I recently ordered the Caroline plans. Haven't received them yet, but this
      > question is on my mind. I did a search and didn't see anything recent on it.
      >
      > In my (unexperienced) mind, zip ties seem like they would work well as
      > stitches in the stitch & glue process.
      >
      > They won't rust. Is there an easy method to avoid having to remove them
      > completely (avoiding filling holes), or will they just be too much in the
      > way?
      >
      > Basically, I'm lazy and don't want to fill a zillion holes. Also, I'm
      > concerned wire is more likely to cut through the wood.
      >
      > And if you didn't pick this up by now, I've never done this before.

    • David Calloway
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 21, 2012
        Yes, you can do it, but my advice is only if you're going to put fiberglass
        on the exterior to cover the holes. The zip ties also may need fairly large
        holes as well.... my laziness led me to use multiple layers of heavy
        masking tape to hole the parts together... I filleted the inside with glass
        tape and epoxy, then turned the boat over and removed the tape, then did
        the outside. Still there were a few places at the bow (where the most bend
        is in the plywood) that I had to use wire. I (heresy) just clipped the soft
        copper wire off and left them in place under the glass. Works great so far,
        no leaks :>)

        dc

        On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 10:43 AM, okiebobby@...
        <okiebobby@...>wrote:

        > **
        >

        > I recently ordered the Caroline plans. Haven't received them yet, but this
        > question is on my mind. I did a search and didn't see anything recent on it.
        >
        > In my (unexperienced) mind, zip ties seem like they would work well as
        > stitches in the stitch & glue process.
        >
        > They won't rust. Is there an easy method to avoid having to remove them
        > completely (avoiding filling holes), or will they just be too much in the
        > way?
        >
        > Basically, I'm lazy and don't want to fill a zillion holes. Also, I'm
        > concerned wire is more likely to cut through the wood.
        >
        > And if you didn't pick this up by now, I've never done this before.

      • ch_bunch
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 21, 2012
          I used the plastic wire ties (same thing?) on a boat with 1/2 " bottom and 3/8 sides without problems. After fiberglassing one side I could pull most out. The ones that wouldn't I just trimmed off as close as I could. -Carl
        • Hajo Smulders
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 21, 2012
            I guess you used heavier zip ties than I tried. But those come with bigger
            holes...

          • Mike
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 21, 2012
              I used the mid size zip ties ( less than 1/4 inch wide )on my piccup and they worked fine. Used a good pair of wire cutters to cut them off very close to plywood. I did the inside seam with fiberglass first then turned it over and sanded the seem on the outside to smooth the resin that came thru the zip tie holes. Didn't take that long and joint is good and tight.
              Regards
              Mike

              --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "okiebobby@..." <okiebobby@...> wrote:

              > I recently ordered the Caroline plans. Haven't received them yet, but this question is on my mind. I did a search and didn't see anything recent on it.
              >
              > In my (unexperienced) mind, zip ties seem like they would work well as stitches in the stitch & glue process.
              >
              > They won't rust. Is there an easy method to avoid having to remove them completely (avoiding filling holes), or will they just be too much in the way?
              >
              > Basically, I'm lazy and don't want to fill a zillion holes. Also, I'm concerned wire is more likely to cut through the wood.
              >
              > And if you didn't pick this up by now, I've never done this before.

            • Tim Anderson
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 21, 2012
              • Hajo Smulders
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 21, 2012
                  Ha! I used those for the safety wires on the bolts of my motorcycle's
                  brakes!
                  But for most of my boats I've used heavier wire and ordinary pliers.
                  But I still have this tool somewhere and will use it next time, thanks for
                  reminding me. (And now I know why I never threw it away...)

                  Hajo
                  --

                • okiebobby@ymail.com
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 21, 2012
                    Tim, that looks very interesting! So what size safety wire? and where from?
                  • john colley
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 22, 2012
                      My 17' pirogue took 210 ties of 50lb mono filament fishing line.NEVER AGAIN!!! stitched every two or three inches.

                      -Sigurd Olson

                      ________________________________

                      <okiebobby@...>wrote:

                      > **
                      >

                      > I recently ordered the Caroline plans. Haven't received them yet, but this
                      > question is on my mind. I did a search and didn't see anything recent on it.
                      >
                      > In my (unexperienced) mind, zip ties seem like they would work well as
                      > stitches in the stitch & glue process.
                      >
                      > They won't rust. Is there an easy method to avoid having to remove them
                      > completely (avoiding filling holes), or will they just be too much in the
                      > way?
                      >
                      > Basically, I'm lazy and don't want to fill a zillion holes. Also, I'm
                      > concerned wire is more likely to cut through the wood.
                      >
                      > And if you didn't pick this up by now, I've never done this before.

                    • noalias999
                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 22, 2012
                        For me, copper wire ties work best. I've tried zip ties by they cannot be released and re tightened very easily. They tighten incrementally, so sometimes they are too tight to re position the edges. I use a two stage gluing process where I leave a small gap at the stitch, pull the wire after it hardens, then fill in the gap.
                        Ron

                        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <rudder59@...> wrote:

                        > I used the mid size zip ties ( less than 1/4 inch wide )on my piccup and they worked fine. Used a good pair of wire cutters to cut them off very close to plywood. I did the inside seam with fiberglass first then turned it over and sanded the seem on the outside to smooth the resin that came thru the zip tie holes. Didn't take that long and joint is good and tight.
                        > Regards
                        > Mike
                        >
                        > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "okiebobby@" <okiebobby@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > I recently ordered the Caroline plans. Haven't received them yet, but this question is on my mind. I did a search and didn't see anything recent on it.
                        > >
                        > > In my (unexperienced) mind, zip ties seem like they would work well as stitches in the stitch & glue process.
                        > >
                        > > They won't rust. Is there an easy method to avoid having to remove them completely (avoiding filling holes), or will they just be too much in the way?
                        > >
                        > > Basically, I'm lazy and don't want to fill a zillion holes. Also, I'm concerned wire is more likely to cut through the wood.
                        > >
                        > > And if you didn't pick this up by now, I've never done this before.

                      • daniel brown
                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 22, 2012
                          copper for me too, i like the adjustability, its easy to sand any wire that gets stuck, not expensive,and user friendly

                          To: Michalak@yahoogroups.com
                          From: frontrower@...
                          Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2012 15:35:42 +0000
                          Subject: [Michalak] Re: zip tie stitching

                          For me, copper wire ties work best. I've tried zip ties by they cannot be released and re tightened very easily. They tighten incrementally, so sometimes they are too tight to re position the edges. I use a two stage gluing process where I leave a small gap at the stitch, pull the wire after it hardens, then fill in the gap.
                          Ron

                          --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <rudder59@...> wrote:

                          > I used the mid size zip ties ( less than 1/4 inch wide )on my piccup and they worked fine. Used a good pair of wire cutters to cut them off very close to plywood. I did the inside seam with fiberglass first then turned it over and sanded the seem on the outside to smooth the resin that came thru the zip tie holes. Didn't take that long and joint is good and tight.
                          > Regards
                          > Mike
                          >
                          > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "okiebobby@" <okiebobby@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > I recently ordered the Caroline plans. Haven't received them yet, but this question is on my mind. I did a search and didn't see anything recent on it.
                          > >
                          > > In my (unexperienced) mind, zip ties seem like they would work well as stitches in the stitch & glue process.
                          > >
                          > > They won't rust. Is there an easy method to avoid having to remove them completely (avoiding filling holes), or will they just be too much in the way?
                          > >
                          > > Basically, I'm lazy and don't want to fill a zillion holes. Also, I'm concerned wire is more likely to cut through the wood.
                          > >
                          > > And if you didn't pick this up by now, I've never done this before.

                        • Andres Espino
                          Message 12 of 15 , Nov 22, 2012
                            I have made a couple small S&G projects and I used copper ground wire from ACE and liked it.  It twists easily even by hand and can be nipped out.. tho it is more costly than plastic zip ties.  I had trouble with cable ties breaking.

                            Andrew

                            ________________________________
                            For me, copper wire ties work best. I've tried zip ties by they cannot be released and re tightened very easily. They tighten incrementally, so sometimes they are too tight to re position the edges. I use a two stage gluing process where I leave a small gap at the stitch, pull the wire after it hardens, then fill in the gap.
                            Ron

                            --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <rudder59@...> wrote:

                            > I used the mid size zip ties ( less than 1/4 inch wide )on my piccup and they worked fine. Used a good pair of wire cutters to cut them off very close to plywood. I did the inside seam with fiberglass first then turned it over and sanded the seem on the outside to smooth the resin that came thru the zip tie holes. Didn't take that long and joint is good and tight.
                            > Regards
                            > Mike
                            >
                            > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "okiebobby@" <okiebobby@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > I recently ordered the Caroline plans. Haven't received them yet, but this question is on my mind. I did a search and didn't see anything recent on it.
                            > >
                            > > In my (unexperienced) mind, zip ties seem like they would work well as stitches in the stitch & glue process.
                            > >
                            > > They won't rust. Is there an easy method to avoid having to remove them completely (avoiding filling holes), or will they just be too much in the way?
                            > >
                            > > Basically, I'm lazy and don't want to fill a zillion holes. Also, I'm concerned wire is more likely to cut through the wood.
                            > >
                            > > And if you didn't pick this up by now, I've never done this before.

                          • alan enlow
                            Message 13 of 15 , Nov 22, 2012
                              Throw the copper wire clippings in a coffee can and when you get enough, take them to the reccycling centre with your cans and you recoup some of your costs.
                              I have made a couple small S&G projects and I used copper ground wire from ACE and liked it.  It twists easily even by hand and can be nipped out.. tho it is more costly than plastic zip ties.  I had trouble with cable ties breaking.

                              Andrew

                              ________________________________
                              For me, copper wire ties work best. I've tried zip ties by they cannot be released and re tightened very easily. They tighten incrementally, so sometimes they are too tight to re position the edges. I use a two stage gluing process where I leave a small gap at the stitch, pull the wire after it hardens, then fill in the gap.
                              Ron

                              --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <rudder59@...> wrote:

                              > I used the mid size zip ties ( less than 1/4 inch wide )on my piccup and they worked fine. Used a good pair of wire cutters to cut them off very close to plywood. I did the inside seam with fiberglass first then turned it over and sanded the seem on the outside to smooth the resin that came thru the zip tie holes. Didn't take that long and joint is good and tight.
                              > Regards
                              > Mike
                              >
                              > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "okiebobby@" <okiebobby@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > I recently ordered the Caroline plans. Haven't received them yet, but this question is on my mind. I did a search and didn't see anything recent on it.
                              > >
                              > > In my (unexperienced) mind, zip ties seem like they would work well as stitches in the stitch & glue process.
                              > >
                              > > They won't rust. Is there an easy method to avoid having to remove them completely (avoiding filling holes), or will they just be too much in the way?
                              > >
                              > > Basically, I'm lazy and don't want to fill a zillion holes. Also, I'm concerned wire is more likely to cut through the wood.
                              > >
                              > > And if you didn't pick this up by now, I've never done this before.

                            • Carl Volkwein
                              Message 14 of 15 , Nov 24, 2012
                                Do you mean like electrical ground wire? 12 gage?