RE: [Michalak] Bigornick

  • daniel brown
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 5, 2012
      thanks nels, thats some great photos of a very interesting design. i'm kinda stuck on sharpies. i live where the ability to ground out is a big advantage. interesting to me too that bignorick designs have so much framing.
      i just ordered a set of michalak's normsboat plans. normsboat or electron, so many choices. i sail an oday daysailer now that lives on a salt marsh (no bottom paint, no barnacles ! ) and want something i can use for camping. i think normsboat has a bigger cabin, electron is prettier.

      To: Michalak@yahoogroups.com
      From: nelsarv@...
      Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2012 15:57:35 +0000
      Subject: [Michalak] Bigornick

      There are many photos of Bignorick build here:

      https://picasaweb.google.com/116209811814901622777/ConstructionVoilierBo\
      isSharpie?noredirect=1
      <https://picasaweb.google.com/116209811814901622777/ConstructionVoilierB\
      oisSharpie?noredirect=1>

      I think he considered adding chine runners but realized it would require
      a lot of internal ballast to have them work effectively and he wanted to
      use water ballast since he has limited towing capability with his small
      van. So he added 2 shallow lead keels externally faired in along the
      chines amidships - something "like" chine runners that also added hull
      support when the tide goes out.

      But to insure leeway prevention in deep water he went to what he refers
      to as a "suspenders and belt" solution with the off-centreboard that
      swings up if it encounters a hard object below (My French is very
      limited).

      He also included 2 rudders so he could install a 9.8 hp OB mounted on
      the centre-line. It really is a lovely design but much more complicated
      to build than a Michalak design. Several more bulkheads for example and
      everything epoxied and glassed. More complicated scarfing technique as
      well.

      He has promised to try to translate a lot of the plans details into
      English at some point. I look forward to the roller furling details
      mostly.

      Nels
      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, daniel brown <dannyb9@...> wrote:

      > hi nels heres the page i found
      https://plus.google.com/photos/116209811814901622777/albums?banner=pwa&g\
      psrc=pwrd1#photos/116209811814901622777/albums/5717524717500544273
      > verrry interesting...
      > dan in port royal

    • alan enlow
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 5, 2012
        I wonder how the topping lift  running from the mastop to the boom affects the sail on the "bad tac" It seems it would be worse. The hull  looks nice and a conventional lug would be far less complicated to buils, rig and use,just say'n'.

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 5, 2012
          Alan,
          Yes I think it does a bit as can be seen on some of the photos. Actually
          more it seems on the good tack? The forward topping lift seems to be
          attached to the boom inside the mast so the mast affects the sail more
          than the forward topping lift on the bad tack. The topping lift that is
          attached on the aft end of the boom looks like it is against the sail on
          the good tack and shows up as a crease.

          He does offer a couple of sail plans that would be more efficient upwind
          and Jim's plan is definitely less complicated. I just think the roller
          furling may be more convenient when you want to reef or raise more sail.
          And once reefed it rolls much more neatly around the boom than tying in
          reefs in the conventional way.

          Like everything else it involves some compromises along the way and a
          person chooses which ones decided work best for him or her. The
          designer spent some time on junk rigs as well but once he worked this
          out he lost interest in pursuing the junk altogether.

          Nels

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 5, 2012
            I did the conversion for the Little Bigornick yawl sail plan and it has
            a 116 sq. ft. main and 20.45 sq. ft. mizzen. Normsboat calls for a 114
            sq. ft. main as does Twister. Several others call for almost that
            identical plan, including Caroline, Frolic2, Mikesboat yawl and
            Philsboat. So probably would work on Electron as well.

            I am considering Twister once again. One was built with an extended
            bridge deck to give more sleeping footroom and it looks good. Main
            reason for it though is to use it as motor only fishing boat on the
            river I live beside - more a motor sailor than a straight sailor - so
            sailing performance not as important as overall convenience. And a flat
            cut polytarp sail would probably suffice and simple to make.