Steve's Mayfly 14 Build

  • scast101
    Message 1 of 97 , Nov 1 4:20 AM
      I've started to build a Mayfly 14 from Jim Michalak's book. I've started a blog about the process here and welcome your comments.

      Question: I just drew the side panel lines onto plywood, but the sheer isn't fair on either panel. It reverses direction slightly 6 feet back from the bow, causing the sheer to have a bit of an "S" in it when I lay a batten along the nails I installed at the measured locations. Checked my measurements 3x and now am wondering if there is a typo on the dimensions in the plans in the book. Checked the message board, but did not see this come up. Any advice most appreciated.

      Thanks.

      Steve
    • a5eptfyqmknybj3jibe7uwk5g55zy4zjkp7nlte7
      Message 97 of 97 , Oct 13
        Hi Steve,

        Its been a few months since I cut out my side panels but I had some issues (maybe similar) as well.  Turns out that I missed a note on the plans about the placement of the line that meets the transom.  Something like most stations were 24" apart except that transom station that was shorter, perhaps 20".  Unfortunately don't have the plans in front of me so I can't tell you exactly.

        Of course this might be unrelated to your situation.  I did not find my mistake until I began measuring to see if I had enough space to draw out the aft bulkhead and transom as shown on the plywood cut out diagram. Luckily I didn't cut out the side panels yet so I was able to correct.  I learned a lesson from this.

        Best of luck.