Piccup Square

  • dccrew581
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 22, 2012
      I just got my plans and have been studying them. I wonder if anyone who has made any of the Piccups would share any additions or options they they have added to their boats.

      thanks
      Dave
    • Carl Volkwein
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 23, 2012
        Are the Box top plans still 35$

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 24, 2012
          Larger sail. Jim sold me the plans for the Ladybug sail which is 76 square feet. I added two sets of reef points and jiffy reefing and the sail works reasonably well in all 3 modes. I used the larger mast and leeboard that is included in the plans.

          The only other thing I can think of right now is a longer tiller than the plans show because I read where someone suggested this to keep your weight more in the center of the boat for better trim. It's really in the way, though, when sailing with crew. Thinking about shortening it and making a removeable extension.

          --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Carl Volkwein <carlvolkwein@...> wrote:

          > Are the Box top plans still 35$
          >

          > ________________________________

        • John Trussell
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 24, 2012
            A short ‘hiking stick’ attached to the end of a shorter tiller will increase
            seating flexibility. You can spring for a universal joint, but a hole in the
            end of the tiller and another in the end of the stick, with a short piece of
            line connecting the two works pretty well. A piece of Velcro on the tiller
            and a matching piece on the stick will keep the two together if you are
            sitting aft and using the shorter tiller.

            JohnT

            _____

            --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Michalak%40yahoogroups.com> , Carl
            Volkwein <carlvolkwein@...> wrote:

            > Are the Box top plans still 35$
            >

            > ________________________________

          • David Bremer
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 24, 2012
              Thank you for your thoughts.  I hope to gleem off the experience and knowledge of others that will help.  I saw a post where slpash guards were added forward and aft the keep things drier.
              It's these little things I appreciate.
              Thanks again
              Dave

              --- In mailto:Michalak%40yahoogroups.com, Carl Volkwein <carlvolkwein@...> wrote:

              > Are the Box top plans still 35$
              >

              > ________________________________

            • john colley
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 25, 2012
                Re.long tiller.Why not make/fit a flexible extension to the tiller like on many yachts?

                -Sigurd Olson

                ________________________________
                Larger sail. Jim sold me the plans for the Ladybug sail which is 76 square feet. I added two sets of reef points and jiffy reefing and the sail works reasonably well in all 3 modes. I used the larger mast and leeboard that is included in the plans.

                The only other thing I can think of right now is a longer tiller than the plans show because I read where someone suggested this to keep your weight more in the center of the boat for better trim. It's really in the way, though, when sailing with crew. Thinking about shortening it and making a removeable extension.

                --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Carl Volkwein <carlvolkwein@...> wrote:

                > Are the Box top plans still 35$
                >

                > ________________________________

              • David Bremer
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 25, 2012
                  I appreciate all your suggestions.
                  Thanks
                  Dave

                  Re.long tiller.Why not make/fit a flexible extension to the tiller like on many yachts?

                  -Sigurd Olson

                  ________________________________
                  Larger sail. Jim sold me the plans for the Ladybug sail which is 76 square feet. I added two sets of reef points and jiffy reefing and the sail works reasonably well in all 3 modes. I used the larger mast and leeboard that is included in the plans.

                  The only other thing I can think of right now is a longer tiller than the plans show because I read where someone suggested this to keep your weight more in the center of the boat for better trim. It's really in the way, though, when sailing with crew. Thinking about shortening it and making a removeable extension.

                  --- In mailto:Michalak%40yahoogroups.com, Carl Volkwein <carlvolkwein@...> wrote:

                  > Are the Box top plans still 35$
                  >

                  > ________________________________

                • pd_89415
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 25, 2012
                    I think hiking sticks work well for...well, hiking out, but not so well for moving forward in the boat. I was thinking a sleeve type extension so it's rigid as if it were one long piece.

                    Matt

                    --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, john colley <Helliconia54@...> wrote:

                    > Re.long tiller.Why not make/fit a flexible extension to the tiller like on many yachts?
                    >

                    > "There is magic in the feel of a paddle and the movement of a canoe, a magic compounded of distance, adventure, solitude, and peace."
                    > -Sigurd Olson
                    >

                    > ________________________________

                  • John Trussell
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 25, 2012
                      I have found a short ‘hiking stick’ works quite well as a tiller extension
                      and I’ve used them successfully on a Mixer and Toon 19. And I don’t do much
                      hiking.

                      JohnT

                      _____

                      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Michalak%40yahoogroups.com> , john
                      colley <Helliconia54@...> wrote:

                      > Re.long tiller.Why not make/fit a flexible extension to the tiller like on
                      many yachts?

                      > "There is magic in the feel of a paddle and the movement of a canoe, a
                      magic compounded of distance, adventure, solitude, and peace."
                      > -Sigurd Olson
                      >

                      > ________________________________

                    • Mike
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 25, 2012
                        Dave,
                        I have been working on my piccup pram since about last December. Life got in the way so didn't get it done for this summer but have really enjoyed working on it. Hope to at least get it in the water even just to row by Thanksgiving. I would recommend looking in the files section of the site for additional info on mounting the mast step and also for locating the mounts etc for the Leeboard.
                        I made the mistake of going with a plywood that was slightly less then a 1/4 inch but thru feedback from the group compensated for that by going with a heavier fiberglass cloth on the bottom.
                        I went with the butt joints using fiberglass cloth and epoxy resin instead of the plywood and they came out very strong.
                        Don't be afraid to jump into it and make mistakes and correct them that's how we learn. Feedback from the group has been tremendous . Even when I am not working on it I am thinking about the next think I want to get done on it.
                        I'm going with the larger LeeBoard and balanced lug sail.One lesson that I got from the forum and also from talking to people is that when fiberglassing the strength is in the cloth not the epoxy so focus on saturating the cloth and making sure there are no air bubbles rather than loading on the epoxy. Plan each phase of your build out in detail so that you can capitalize on your time. For example schedule your time to put on the epoxy so that you have time later on when it it is still somewhat tacky you can add additional coats of epoxy .That has two benefits: it enables it to create a chemical bond which is stronger and saves you hours of sanding between coats if you let it cure hard before putting another coat on.
                        Take your time, plan it out wisely and above all enjoy building it. I hope to put photos up soon of my build in progress.Good luck with your build.
                        Regards,
                        Mike
                        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "dccrew581" <dccrew581@...> wrote:

                        > I just got my plans and have been studying them. I wonder if anyone who has made any of the Piccups would share any additions or options they they have added to their boats.
                        >
                        > thanks
                        > Dave

                      • David Bremer
                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 26, 2012
                          Mike,
                          thanks for the words and advise, it will be nice to see photos of your boat when you're done.