Re: [Michalak] Homemade Wood Stove For a Small Boat

  • Andres Espino
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 2, 2012
      Ahhhh  ok.  Yes Win came up and said it could not identify the application and then displayed that phrase that the application/octet-stream (8.3 KB) type file

      I had to save it and add the .txt then it opened it.  It needs to be in the group copy so someone would not need to download it to open and see it.

      Thanks!
      Andrew

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 2, 2012
        Andres,
        Dang! Your post got identified as spam as well. So that is the 3rd
        regular member that had that happen to today. Yahoo is doing something
        that is really dumb. And I am going to be away for a couple weeks soon
        so hope it gets straightened out. Maybe need you guys as co-moderators?
        Any volunteers?

        Somewhere in the files or backup in my old computer I am sure I have the
        sketch and instructions for the Lenihan heater. It was offered freely by
        Peter at one time, so no real need to buy a plan for it.

        Our leader Chris Curtis also has the plan and how to secure it to a
        bulkhead with muffler clamps I think. Peter used to just feed the stove
        pipe out through the partially open sliding hatch so fresh air was also
        allowed to come inside at the same time to prevent CO and damp air to
        exit.

        It is mainly meant to take off the morning chill and dampness prior to
        getting under way. Should be combined with a fresh air inlet as well in
        the bow to get a flow going and remove damp air from you breathing while
        sleeping. Dry air = warmth.

        Nels

        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Andres Espino
        <ima_very_cool_cowboy@...> wrote:

        > Ahhhh ok. Yes Win came up and said it could not identify the
        application and then displayed that phrase that the
        application/octet-stream (8.3 KB) type file

        > I had to save it and add the .txt then it opened it. It needs to
        be in the group copy so someone would not need to download it to open
        and see it.

        > Thanks!
        > Andrew

      • john colley
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 3, 2012
          Very cozy.It has all the usual short comings of a combustion stove tho.Carbon monoxide.So should anyone build and use this stove onboard,keep adequate ventilation.

          -Sigurd Olson

          ________________________________
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 3, 2012
            Yes Chris is the one who sent me the tube heater with the muffler clamps that I settled on.  I used a piece of 3in semi truck muffler pipe.  I pasted his email directions into a recent post.  I didn't know he was aleader in this group.. I got it in lowcostvoyaging.  A lot of us belong to multiple groups.  Chris was right about that thing cranking out the heat!  It can drive me out of the cabin on my 24 footer.  it will certainly serve to dry the cabin out which is why I wanted it.

            Andrew

            ________________________________

            <ima_very_cool_cowboy@...> wrote:

            > Ahhhh ok. Yes Win came up and said it could not identify the
            application and then displayed that phrase that the
            application/octet-stream (8.3 KB) type file

            > I had to save it and add the .txt then it opened it. It needs to
            be in the group copy so someone would not need to download it to open
            and see it.

            > Thanks!
            > Andrew

          • Andres Espino
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 3, 2012
              These stoves are vented through the cabin roof with a pipe and so there are very few if any fumes in the cabin.  The pipe is capped with a weatherproof "H" cap vent.  It is not like burning a charcoal brazier to heat the boat  lol  More like the old home wood stoves with a chimney.  they do use of oxygen tho so vent is needed.

              Andrew

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 3, 2012
                I have heard of a way to convert a one-burner back-packing stove to
                produce heat but have no experience in trying it. You take one of those
                red clay flower pots with the hole in the bottom and insert a copper
                pipe with a flared end up through the hole and suspend it somehow out
                through the cabin top. Then place the stove under it. The fumes go out
                the pipe and as the pot heats up it radiates warmth outwards.

                Combustion does not necessarily give off much carbon monoxide but
                combustion without an adequate source of fresh air does. So it is
                important to have a fresh air inlet both in the bottom of the stove and
                preferably lower than the level of the stove from outside, and an outlet
                in the roof to exhaust moisture and any stray fumes. Otherwise you might
                end up in a stinky eye-watering sauna.

                Yes Chris Curtis aka Joe Mopango is the owner of this group. It was
                passed onto him by Max Wawrzyniak the outboard motor guru.
                So a plug goes out to Max!
                http://www.duckworksbbs.com/media/books/cheap/index.htm

                <ima_very_cool_cowboy@...> wrote:

                > These stoves are vented through the cabin roof with a pipe and so
                there are very few if any fumes in the cabin. The pipe is capped
                with a weatherproof "H" cap vent. It is not like burning a charcoal
                brazier to heat the boat lol More like the old home wood
                stoves with a chimney. they do use of oxygen tho so vent is needed.

                > Andrew

                magic compounded of distance, adventure, solitude, and peace."
                > -Sigurd Olson

              • john colley
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 4, 2012
                  I have read of this being used by fellow trailersailors in this group.      http://www.trailersailerplace.com.au/%c2%a0%c2%a0%c2%a0%c2%a0 There are many different cabin heaters out there.I really do like that tiny "pot belly stove"/

                  -Sigurd Olson