AF4

    Message 1 of 39 , Oct 1, 2012
      Couple great videos of the AF4 for those interested. First a walkaround
      of Joe's with some very interesting details shown. Like the Bimini
      details and the storage ideas.

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xbm3OvqRfQw
      <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xbm3OvqRfQw>

      Then an overnighter near Sorel PQ on the St. Lawrence river east of
      Montreal. Can't recall the fellow's name now.

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=f8OPUr7AZAo
      <http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=f8OPUr7AZAo>

      Message 39 of 39 , Oct 1, 2012
        Just to let you know - for some reason a lot of the postings are being
        blocked as spam as was this one as well as Curran's. I am busy on the
        computer today and noticing this as I get a message in that regard. So
        if your post gets delayed that is what is happening.

        Great update from Joe. I was wondering if you also coated with epoxy
        prior to painting. Exterior grade glue is very important but I have to
        mention that all Sureplys are not equal even those with exterior glues.
        I have tested some from China that have glue-starved joinery and will
        delaminate when tested. I don't boil-test but run a piece through
        several dish-wash cycles. I have found that if the plywood has a darker
        middle ply then beware of it. It is some kind of softer wood and maybe
        soaks up the glue and a starved join might happen. If all the plies have
        the same light colour then more likely they will not delaminate. I have
        some undergarment that passed the test.

        My challenge is I don't want to encapsulate with epoxy as it is really
        expensive up here in Canada. And I would have to store a boat that size
        outdoors. However there are much better polytarps out there than there
        used to be.

        I also agree that oil-based paints are the way to go and some Penetrol
        as a conditioner makes sense to get a nice smooth finish. And a couple
        thin coats better than thicker ones. May take longer to fully harden
        but still faster than water-based.

        Nels

        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Stromski <j.stromski@...> wrote:

        > To be clear:
        > * The "baltic birch" I used was a type of premium underlayment being
        sold by my
        > local big box store (Menard's) and not the cabinet grade stuff I see
        in various
        > woodworking magazines. IIRC it was called Sureply, and the store
        signing touted
        > it as having exterior glue. Unfortunately they stopped carrying 4x8
        sheets, but
        > still sell 4x5 sheets. Darn. No signs of rot at all after 3 and half
        seasons.
        > * The entire boat had a coat of epoxy resin applied before being
        painted. The
        > bottom has a layer of FG cloth, with a double layer at the chines.
        Paint
        > schedule was Bennie Moore oil primer followed by True Value house
        brand gloss
        > porch and floor enamel.
        > * The boat is stored indoors, and I keep it touched up.
        > * The primary use of Penetrol (as far as I know) is as a paint
        additive. Helps
        > level out brush stokes,roller laps, etc. Probably retards drying time.
        Lots of
        > people swear by it. BTW- it worked really well mixed with Rustoleum on
        my skin
        > on frame canoe. There's a similar product for water base paint called
        Floetrol.