AF4

    Message 1 of 54 , Oct 1, 2012
      Couple great videos of the AF4 for those interested. First a walkaround
      of Joe's with some very interesting details shown. Like the Bimini
      details and the storage ideas.

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xbm3OvqRfQw
      <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xbm3OvqRfQw>

      Then an overnighter near Sorel PQ on the St. Lawrence river east of
      Montreal. Can't recall the fellow's name now.

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=f8OPUr7AZAo
      <http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=f8OPUr7AZAo>

    • Joseph Stromski
      Message 54 of 54 , Jan 5 9:31 AM
        The 18 foot version is pretty "small" for an 18 footer. The Breve is even smaller and can really only be considered a 2 person boat. Kind of depends upon what capacity you want, and usage scenarios.
        Best,
        Joe

        On Tuesday, January 5, 2016 11:09 AM, "tom sorensen tdsoren@... [Michalak]" <Michalak@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        Paul,

        Provided it doesn’t add difficulty to handling the boat on land or sea, longer boats are usually better boats.  More room and load capacity, and generally a bit faster on the same horsepower if the beam remains the same, and generally ride nicer.

        Tom

        tom sorensen

        On Jan 4, 2016, at 5:23 PM, 'Paul Breeding' pbreedingco2@... [Michalak] <Michalak@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        Forum members,

        I guess what I was asking is there any downside to building the AF4 (18’) vs. building the AF4 Breve (15.5’). As neither storage space or towing ability are a problem it appears to me that I would get a more serviceable boat with the 18’ AF4. The additional materials and time involved in building seems relatively minor while I think the longer of two would perhaps give a slightly better ride and of course more room on those rare occasions when there could be more than two in the boat.

        Yes, I have followed Rene Vidmer’s journeys both in North America and in Europe. These are quite inspirational for either armchair or on-the-water cruising wannbee’s . Jim gives the same horsepower recommendations for both craft. Actually I believe the Breve is a cut down version of the original AF4. I would like as many to chime in here as possible. I currently have the plans for the Breve, however on the musing that often takes place during the cold Winter months I’m thinking the 18’ AF4 may be the better craft.

        I wonder what Rene Vidmer’s take would be on this question?

        Paul Breeding
        Broomfield CO
        SCAMP and a couple home built paddle boats

        Sent: Monday, January 04, 2016 11:47 AM
        Subject: [Michalak] Re: AF4

        Depends how much interior space you need? You are probably aware of Rene Vidmer's journeys in an AF4 Breve? Duckworks - A Trip in Canada - Part One