Re: Jim Michalak Boat Thread on Wooden Boat Forum

    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 29, 2012
      Here is a link to the thread:
      http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?153195-Jim-Michalak-s-boat-pl\
      ans
      <http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?153195-Jim-Michalak-s-boat-p\
      lans>
      Lot of nice comments about Jim and his designs.
      Nels

      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Monies" <m_monies@...> wrote:

      > There is an interesting thread going on over on Wooden Boat Forum
      about Jim's boats. This is not a common occurence to have Michalak
      boats being discussed on Wooden Boat Forum.

      > If you are a member, perhaps you might like to add a comment or two.
      If not a member, you can at least read the comments.

      > We lent our support as Michalak builders of the Laguna. Jim certainly
      is deserving of any support we can give!

      > Jackie and Mike Monies, The Blue Laguna, Laguna Dos
      >
      > P.S. It is under Designs category

    • Brian
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 1, 2012
        I commented a couple of days ago, and now I see Paul Moffit has made a very nice statement about Michalak designs, speaking from the huge amount of experience he and his family have accumulated. The WoodenBoat forum can be a rather unfriendly place for those who build or consider the kinds of boats that Jim Michalak designs. There's an incredible amount of knowledge and experience to be mined there, but there is a lot of boat snobbery as well. The Michalak thread is nice to see. Pile on in!

        > Here is a link to the thread:
        > http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?153195-Jim-Michalak-s-boat-pl\
        > ans
        > <http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?153195-Jim-Michalak-s-boat-p\
        > lans>
        > Lot of nice comments about Jim and his designs.
        > Nels
        >
        > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Monies" <m_monies@> wrote:
        > >
        > > There is an interesting thread going on over on Wooden Boat Forum
        > about Jim's boats. This is not a common occurence to have Michalak
        > boats being discussed on Wooden Boat Forum.
        > >
        > > If you are a member, perhaps you might like to add a comment or two.
        > If not a member, you can at least read the comments.
        > >
        > > We lent our support as Michalak builders of the Laguna. Jim certainly
        > is deserving of any support we can give!
        > >
        > > Jackie and Mike Monies, The Blue Laguna, Laguna Dos
        > >
        > > P.S. It is under Designs category

      • Tom
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 1, 2012
          Start a rant about the snobbery in the bilge :-)

          Tom

          Sent from my iPhone

          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 1, 2012
            Just to add to my comments, Jackie and Mike Monies are are turning into a major force in what I call the "Boating for the Masses" movement. Keep up the good work, organizing and writing guys! Your event in Oklahoma sounds like a lot of fun!

            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 1, 2012
              I would avoid the Bilge - that is a pretty stinky place:-)

              That forum as mentioned is a useful source of information. I regularly
              purchase WB magazine - mainly because it provides a lot of interesting
              reading about traditional wooden boat building, and some engaging boat
              porn - but it does reinforce the snobbery aspects and is often a source
              of humour about how to do things the complicated way:-)

              I recall one time a yacht owner invited on board a guy when his tiny
              home built yawl created interest in what it was and how performed. It
              was mentioned after the visit that one of the winches on the yacht was
              more expensive than he spent on his boat build.

              Obviously polytarp sails and Home Depot lumber don't really "connect"
              with this crowd let alone not having at least ten coats on varnish on
              the bright work:-)

              Nels

              --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Tom <tdsoren@...> wrote:

              > Start a rant about the snobbery in the bilge :-)
              >
              > Tom
              >
              > Sent from my iPhone

            • daniel brown
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 1, 2012
                woodenboat i think focuses on boats as art, they should last as long as possible. a lot of jim's boats are being built of 'temporary' materials, too bad for that. i build on the cheap too, but i'm willing to get marine fir, cypress, southern pine etc as appropriate. i can't see spending many hours building some beautiful object just to see it dissolve in the yard because of poor material selection. i've done that.
                my boats live outdoors, 'may they live long and prosper : ) nanu nanu

                To: Michalak@yahoogroups.com
                From: brianincorv@...
                Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2012 20:55:24 +0000
                Subject: [Michalak] Re: Jim Michalak Boat Thread on Wooden Boat Forum

                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 1, 2012
                  Totally agree Daniel,

                  It is well worth considering upgrading the build materials with
                  Michalak or Bolger designs, reading his book and Payson's closely and
                  taking some time to get it right when finishing and it will last a long
                  time. Not only that but they will be easier to repair and maintain than
                  the more complicated builds.

                  If you amortize that over an extended time period the better quality
                  materials will end up cheaper as the price of materials go up over time.

                  The biggest drawback is that they do not hold re-sale value very well,
                  no matter how well they are built. So plan on keeping one in the family.

                  Nels

                  --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, daniel brown <dannyb9@...> wrote:

                  > woodenboat i think focuses on boats as art, they should last as long
                  as possible. a lot of jim's boats are being built of 'temporary'
                  materials, too bad for that. i build on the cheap too, but i'm willing
                  to get marine fir, cypress, southern pine etc as appropriate. i can't
                  see spending many hours building some beautiful object just to see it
                  dissolve in the yard because of poor material selection. i've done that.
                  > my boats live outdoors, 'may they live long and prosper : ) nanu nanu

                • Hajo Smulders
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 2, 2012
                    The snobs are a (sometimes loud) minority. Frankly if you build any type of
                    wooden boat you have more in common with the (mostly nice) people on WB
                    than most of the population.

                    Hajo
                    --
                    "I don't know why I did it, but to this day I do not regret it." (Eli
                    Zborowski, holocaust survivor, on giving water to captured German soldiers