Cat Yawls

    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 7, 2012
      For the newbies out there since this subject has be hashed around
      several times already:-)

      Consider adding a mizzen sail to whatever design you are looking at if
      it requires more than one sheet of plywood in length. I think Jim
      considers it a worthwhile addition now as well.

      Reading his sailing instructions and experiences in his book another
      advantage comes to mind. With a mizzen it means the boom on the main can
      be shorter. A long boom can be the main reason why a sudden broach can
      turn an unballasted boat over when sailing off the wind - even if you
      release the main sheet. There is still sufficient windage and momentum
      to keep it going over and the boom may hit waves as well. Same if you
      get into a death roll.
      A cat yawl may not have quite as much overall speed but the ability to
      maintain control may make up for it.

      To me now a cat rig looks kinda bare without a mizzen:-)

    • John Trussell
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 7, 2012
        There may be a little more to broach capsizes than boom length. Typically,
        in a broach, the bow digs in, the stern comes up (with the rudder) and the
        boat rolls (or, if it is ballasted, "spins out"). The mizzen in a yawl rig
        can act as an "air rudder" and, depending on how it is trimmed, can act to
        keep the boat straight when the bow digs in.

        I am very fond of cat yawls for their ability to adjust helm and lie to more
        or less head to wind. If you don't mind building a couple of extra spars,
        paying for another sail and rigging, and trimming another sail, I heartily
        recommend a yawl.

        JohnT

        Toon 19

        _____

[...]

        No virus found in this message.

      • John Boy
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 7, 2012
          John I'm sailing a Toon2 and looking at a longer boat to sleep in.  I'm thinking Normsboat or a Toon19.  Where abouts are you located?
          John Boy

          I have a blog!  http://toon2sailor.blogspot.com/

          Robert Louis Stevenson, Treasure Island

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 8, 2012
            SC

            _____

            John I'm sailing a Toon2 and looking at a longer boat to sleep in. I'm
            thinking Normsboat or a Toon19. Where abouts are you located?
            John Boy

            I have a blog! http://toon2sailor.blogspot.com/

            "Seaward ho! Hang the treasure! It's the glory of the sea that has turned my
            head."

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 8, 2012
              Well, a trip to SC isn't on the horizon for me but one of these days (years), I'd like to sail in company with you.  I'm spoiled with low tidal ranges and warm gin clear water.  Where's a good area to weekend cruise in SC?

              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 8, 2012
                SC has a number of large, man made lakes. Lake Hartwell (close to I-85) and
                Lake Murray (in the center of the state) are pretty good. Lake Moultrie and
                Marion are not ideal-one is flooded timber and the other is in the late
                stages of eutrification-choked with hydrilla and other aquatic weeds. During
                the summer, winds on inland lakes are generally light to non-existent and it
                is hot/humid. Fall and spring are much better.

                On the coast, the area between Georgetown and Charleston-Bulls bay-- and the
                area around Port Royal Sound (near Beaufort) offer a lot of islands and
                anything below mean high tide is, by SC law, public. With sea and land
                breezes, there is always some wind. However, note that SC coast is low lying
                and quite buggy when you get on an island-industrial strength deet is highly
                recommended!

                JohnT

                _____

                From: Michalak@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Michalak%40yahoogroups.com>

                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 8, 2012
                  Thanks. :)  When I was in the AF we'd go up to Shaw AFB sometimes.  We'd buzz Lake Marion and scare the chit out of the fisherman.  You know it's hard to hear a C 130 coming when it's down at 100 feet and doing 250 knots.  :D  Money can't buy that kind of entertainment!

                  From: Michalak@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Michalak%40yahoogroups.com>