Hello all

  • jreed5939
    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 5, 2012
      Been lurking for a couple weeks thought I would finally intoduce my self. I have no experience building boats but have busted my knuckles on lots of other projects. I have been researching for over a year on how and what boat to build and Mr Michalak's designs keept poping up on google. Some of you here I have followed along with in duckworks articles and others like Mr Goodman on youtube.

      I use to sail quite a bit in SoCal out of Newport many years ago unfortunately being on active duty is not conducive to owning a Hunter or Catalina. So after being boatless for many years I got the wild idea to build something small. So I am now the proud owner of a set of Mayfly 14 plans :) . So far I have all of the 1/4 ply and a couple 1x3 still need to get the 1/2 ply and the rest of the lumber. Once all that is bought then I will get Mr Michalak's book and get to butchering good lumber haha.

      I look forward to learning from you all and bugging you all with my stupid questions.

      P.S. I am in Eastern North Carolina if anyone is near by I would love to buy you a cup of coffee and pick your brain.

      Jeremy
    • thinwater2001
      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 6, 2012
        Don't procrastinate, jump in.
        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 6, 2012
          Welcome aboard!

          I think the Mayfly 14 is an ideal size, long enough to be quite
          seaworthy in larger waves that can occur even in "protected water" has
          enough room to lie down inside for the average person, great storage and
          flotation decks at each end and space for two when day-sailing.

          I think Jim really thought that through when he featured it in his build
          book. Plus it includes free plans for several other small designs.

          The only thing to consider it that it really requires a small trailer as
          it is too heavy to easily car-top and of course with a trailer makes it
          possible to carry all the stuff inside the boat and the boat can be
          stored on it as well. So a small boat trailer is almost a must in my
          opinion and should be considered. Try to get one designed for somewhat
          longer hull as well. (See the "bug" comment below) Mayfly 14 should be
          light enough to allow you to invert it when in storage and then cover
          with a good quality UV resistant tarp. Storing upright under a cheap
          tarp is not the way to go - don't ask how I found that out!

          Also be forewarned there is a "bug" in Jim's building book. It is called
          a "boat building bug". If it bites you - you are in trouble.

          Have fun and don't hesitate to ask questions. The only "dumb" question
          is one left unasked.

          Nels

          --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "jreed5939" <e3romeo@...> wrote:

          > Been lurking for a couple weeks thought I would finally intoduce my
          self. I have no experience building boats but have busted my knuckles on
          lots of other projects. I have been researching for over a year on how
          and what boat to build and Mr Michalak's designs keept poping up on
          google. Some of you here I have followed along with in duckworks
          articles and others like Mr Goodman on youtube.

          > I use to sail quite a bit in SoCal out of Newport many years ago
          unfortunately being on active duty is not conducive to owning a Hunter
          or Catalina. So after being boatless for many years I got the wild idea
          to build something small. So I am now the proud owner of a set of Mayfly
          14 plans :) . So far I have all of the 1/4 ply and a couple 1x3 still
          need to get the 1/2 ply and the rest of the lumber. Once all that is
          bought then I will get Mr Michalak's book and get to butchering good
          lumber haha.

          > I look forward to learning from you all and bugging you all with my
          stupid questions.

          > P.S. I am in Eastern North Carolina if anyone is near by I would love
          to buy you a cup of coffee and pick your brain.

          > Jeremy

        • jreed5939
          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 6, 2012
            Think I have been bit fore sure lol. Already thinking about a mellonseed for the next one haha. The only thing that will slow this build is the family budget so have to buy the materials a payday at a time. Still shouldnt take to long.

            Wont need a trailer for this one as it will fit in the back of the van for the one mile trip to the water from my shop. From there I have the whole Neuse river to play in.

            > Welcome aboard!
            >
            > I think the Mayfly 14 is an ideal size, long enough to be quite
            > seaworthy in larger waves that can occur even in "protected water" has
            > enough room to lie down inside for the average person, great storage and
            > flotation decks at each end and space for two when day-sailing.
            >
            > I think Jim really thought that through when he featured it in his build
            > book. Plus it includes free plans for several other small designs.
            >
            > The only thing to consider it that it really requires a small trailer as
            > it is too heavy to easily car-top and of course with a trailer makes it
            > possible to carry all the stuff inside the boat and the boat can be
            > stored on it as well. So a small boat trailer is almost a must in my
            > opinion and should be considered. Try to get one designed for somewhat
            > longer hull as well. (See the "bug" comment below) Mayfly 14 should be
            > light enough to allow you to invert it when in storage and then cover
            > with a good quality UV resistant tarp. Storing upright under a cheap
            > tarp is not the way to go - don't ask how I found that out!
            >
            > Also be forewarned there is a "bug" in Jim's building book. It is called
            > a "boat building bug". If it bites you - you are in trouble.
            >
            > Have fun and don't hesitate to ask questions. The only "dumb" question
            > is one left unasked.
            >
            > Nels
            >

            > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "jreed5939" <e3romeo@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Been lurking for a couple weeks thought I would finally intoduce my
            > self. I have no experience building boats but have busted my knuckles on
            > lots of other projects. I have been researching for over a year on how
            > and what boat to build and Mr Michalak's designs keept poping up on
            > google. Some of you here I have followed along with in duckworks
            > articles and others like Mr Goodman on youtube.
            > >
            > > I use to sail quite a bit in SoCal out of Newport many years ago
            > unfortunately being on active duty is not conducive to owning a Hunter
            > or Catalina. So after being boatless for many years I got the wild idea
            > to build something small. So I am now the proud owner of a set of Mayfly
            > 14 plans :) . So far I have all of the 1/4 ply and a couple 1x3 still
            > need to get the 1/2 ply and the rest of the lumber. Once all that is
            > bought then I will get Mr Michalak's book and get to butchering good
            > lumber haha.
            > >
            > > I look forward to learning from you all and bugging you all with my
            > stupid questions.
            > >
            > > P.S. I am in Eastern North Carolina if anyone is near by I would love
            > to buy you a cup of coffee and pick your brain.
            > >
            > > Jeremy

          • Hajo Smulders
            Message 5 of 21 , Sep 6, 2012
              You're on the Neuse?
              My oldest son is a counselor at Camp Seagull. He teaches keelboat classes
              over there. (Keel boat classes are the one thing that is mixed with the
              girls camp Camp Seafarer...) That is a wonderful area, I'm jealous!
              I LOVE the melonseed. That boat has the nicest ass of any small sail boat.
              Those curves do come with a price: Building time. Having a mayfly while
              working on a melonseed should help with that.
              I buy my materials a little at a time. I do not use credit cards for
              hobbies or beer...

              Hajo
              --
              "I wanna live 'til I die, no more, no less." (Eddie Izzard)

              On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 12:13 PM, jreed5939 <e3romeo@...> wrote:

              > **
              >

              > Think I have been bit fore sure lol. Already thinking about a mellonseed
              > for the next one haha. The only thing that will slow this build is the
              > family budget so have to buy the materials a payday at a time. Still
              > shouldnt take to long.
              >
              > Wont need a trailer for this one as it will fit in the back of the van for
              > the one mile trip to the water from my shop. From there I have the whole
              > Neuse river to play in.

            • jreed5939
              Message 6 of 21 , Sep 6, 2012
                Sure am. Live only about 300 yards from the water. Stationed on MCAS Cherry Point
                It is a nice area lots of crab fishing.
                The melonseed is pretty boat especially from the stern. When ever I get around to it shouldnt take to long. I have two boys to help with the work (got to love child labor lol) . The mayfly will be a fun boat to mess around in and teach the kids a little about boats while building the seed.

                Where are you located?

                --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Hajo Smulders <hajosmulders@...> wrote:

                > You're on the Neuse?
                > My oldest son is a counselor at Camp Seagull. He teaches keelboat classes
                > over there. (Keel boat classes are the one thing that is mixed with the
                > girls camp Camp Seafarer...) That is a wonderful area, I'm jealous!
                > I LOVE the melonseed. That boat has the nicest ass of any small sail boat.
                > Those curves do come with a price: Building time. Having a mayfly while
                > working on a melonseed should help with that.
                > I buy my materials a little at a time. I do not use credit cards for
                > hobbies or beer...
                >
                > Hajo
                > --
                > "I wanna live 'til I die, no more, no less." (Eddie Izzard)
                >

                > On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 12:13 PM, jreed5939 <e3romeo@...> wrote:
                >
                > > **
                > >

                > > Think I have been bit fore sure lol. Already thinking about a mellonseed
                > > for the next one haha. The only thing that will slow this build is the
                > > family budget so have to buy the materials a payday at a time. Still
                > > shouldnt take to long.
                > >
                > > Wont need a trailer for this one as it will fit in the back of the van for
                > > the one mile trip to the water from my shop. From there I have the whole
                > > Neuse river to play in.

              • Hajo Smulders
                Message 7 of 21 , Sep 6, 2012
                  Located in Atlanta, GA which stinks for sailing.
                  We have two lakes around here and they're really not all that great. I do
                  most of my sailing in Charleston, SC where my in-laws live.
                  In 5 years I'm moving.

                  Hajo
                  --

                  On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 6:42 PM, jreed5939 <e3romeo@...> wrote:

                  > **
                  >

                  > Sure am. Live only about 300 yards from the water. Stationed on MCAS
                  > Cherry Point
                  > It is a nice area lots of crab fishing.
                  > The melonseed is pretty boat especially from the stern. When ever I get
                  > around to it shouldnt take to long. I have two boys to help with the work
                  > (got to love child labor lol) . The mayfly will be a fun boat to mess
                  > around in and teach the kids a little about boats while building the seed.
                  >
                  > Where are you located?

                • jreed5939
                  Message 8 of 21 , Sep 6, 2012
                    Charleston is beautiful lot better sailing then Atlanta for sure. Does your Son work up here year round?

                    --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Hajo Smulders <hajosmulders@...> wrote:

                    > Located in Atlanta, GA which stinks for sailing.
                    > We have two lakes around here and they're really not all that great. I do
                    > most of my sailing in Charleston, SC where my in-laws live.
                    > In 5 years I'm moving.
                    >
                    > Hajo
                    > --
                    > "I wanna live 'til I die, no more, no less." (Eddie Izzard)
                    >

                    > On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 6:42 PM, jreed5939 <e3romeo@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > **
                    > >

                    > > Sure am. Live only about 300 yards from the water. Stationed on MCAS
                    > > Cherry Point
                    > > It is a nice area lots of crab fishing.
                    > > The melonseed is pretty boat especially from the stern. When ever I get
                    > > around to it shouldnt take to long. I have two boys to help with the work
                    > > (got to love child labor lol) . The mayfly will be a fun boat to mess
                    > > around in and teach the kids a little about boats while building the seed.
                    > >
                    > > Where are you located?

                  • Hajo Smulders
                    Message 9 of 21 , Sep 6, 2012
                      No, he's still in high school. Ready for his six pack on his 18th birthday.
                      He doesn't know where he'll go to college yet, aiming for hard science /
                      engineering. He intends to do deliveries as his side job.
                      It's hard for me to find employment in Charleston as the two main software
                      companies are Microsoft based and the government stuff tends to be defense.
                      (I will not work for defense contractors).
                      I'll figure it out...

                      Hajo Smulders
                      Sent from my mobile

                    • chuckpierce@sbcglobal.net
                      Message 10 of 21 , Sep 7, 2012
                        Jeremy-don't buy a trailer, build a boat dolly so she is easy to load into the van. Mine travels in the back of a Toyota pickup-she has seen about 2500 miles back there :)

                        Chuck P

                      • jreed5939
                        Message 11 of 21 , Sep 7, 2012
                          Will do Chuck. Was just watching you youtube videos from this years Texas 200 looks like she made it thru in fine fashion again this year. Thinking about doing the NC Challenge in mine next year we shall see.
                          Jeremy

                          --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "chuckpierce@..." <chuckpierce@...> wrote:

> [...]
                          > > > self. I have no experience building boats but have busted my knuckles on
                          > > > lots of other projects. I have been researching for over a year on how
                          > > > and what boat to build and Mr Michalak's designs keept poping up on
                          > > > google. Some of you here I have followed along with in duckworks
                          > > > articles and others like Mr Goodman on youtube.

                          > > > unfortunately being on active duty is not conducive to owning a Hunter
                          > > > or Catalina. So after being boatless for many years I got the wild idea
                          > > > to build something small. So I am now the proud owner of a set of Mayfly
                          > > > 14 plans :) . So far I have all of the 1/4 ply and a couple 1x3 still
                          > > > need to get the 1/2 ply and the rest of the lumber. Once all that is
                          > > > bought then I will get Mr Michalak's book and get to butchering good
                          > > > lumber haha.

                          > > > stupid questions.

                          > > > to buy you a cup of coffee and pick your brain.

                        • jreed5939
                          Message 12 of 21 , Sep 7, 2012
                            Ah yes to be that age again lol. Lots of good schools out there for him. Contractor jobs can be good money. I take it you prefer Unix base?
                            --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Hajo Smulders <hajosmulders@...> wrote:

                            > No, he's still in high school. Ready for his six pack on his 18th birthday.
                            > He doesn't know where he'll go to college yet, aiming for hard science /
                            > engineering. He intends to do deliveries as his side job.
                            > It's hard for me to find employment in Charleston as the two main software
                            > companies are Microsoft based and the government stuff tends to be defense.
                            > (I will not work for defense contractors).
                            > I'll figure it out...
                            >
                            > Hajo Smulders
                            > Sent from my mobile
                            >
                            > On Sep 6, 2012, at 9:03 PM, jreed5939 <e3romeo@...> wrote:
                            >

                            > Charleston is beautiful lot better sailing then Atlanta for sure. Does your
                            > Son work up here year round?
                            >
                            > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Hajo Smulders <hajosmulders@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Located in Atlanta, GA which stinks for sailing.
                            > > We have two lakes around here and they're really not all that great. I do
                            > > most of my sailing in Charleston, SC where my in-laws live.
                            > > In 5 years I'm moving.
                            > >
                            > > Hajo
                            > > --
                            > > "I wanna live 'til I die, no more, no less." (Eddie Izzard)
                            > >

                            > > On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 6:42 PM, jreed5939 <e3romeo@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > > **
                            > > >

                            > > > Sure am. Live only about 300 yards from the water. Stationed on MCAS
                            > > > Cherry Point
                            > > > It is a nice area lots of crab fishing.
                            > > > The melonseed is pretty boat especially from the stern. When ever I get
                            > > > around to it shouldnt take to long. I have two boys to help with the
                            > work
                            > > > (got to love child labor lol) . The mayfly will be a fun boat to mess
                            > > > around in and teach the kids a little about boats while building the
                            > seed.
                            > > >
                            > > > Where are you located?

                          • CHARLES
                            Message 13 of 21 , Sep 8, 2012
                              It would be great to see another Mayfly on the 200 next year :)

                              Chuck P

                            • Hajo Smulders
                              Message 14 of 21 , Sep 8, 2012
                                yep, unix guy. I come from phone companies. Now mostly in publishing. And
                                while contracting pays well, my experience is that companies don't hire
                                people like me anymore. We just get hired per project...

                                Hajo Smulders
                                Sent from my mobile

                                On Sep 7, 2012, at 10:55 PM, jreed5939 <e3romeo@...> wrote:

                                Ah yes to be that age again lol. Lots of good schools out there for him.
                                Contractor jobs can be good money. I take it you prefer Unix base?
                                --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Hajo Smulders <hajosmulders@...> wrote:

                                > No, he's still in high school. Ready for his six pack on his 18th
                                birthday.
                                > He doesn't know where he'll go to college yet, aiming for hard science /
                                > engineering. He intends to do deliveries as his side job.
                                > It's hard for me to find employment in Charleston as the two main software
                                > companies are Microsoft based and the government stuff tends to be
                                defense.
                                > (I will not work for defense contractors).
                                > I'll figure it out...
                                >
                                > Hajo

                              • bbrucebrb2002
                                Message 15 of 21 , Sep 8, 2012
                                  Hajo, I do agree that Charleston is a great place to sail, as is the whole Georgia coast, BUT, lake sailing here is not that bad. I also live in Atlanta. Tomorrow, (sunday the 9th), is supposed to be windy, clear, and in the low 70s with warm water. How much better does it get? I am going out, and you have an open invitation:) I expect to see at least 12kts and maybe 15 on a very wooden boat. I sail where ever I am anytime I can. Come on out! Bruce

                                  --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Hajo Smulders <hajosmulders@...> wrote:

                                  > Located in Atlanta, GA which stinks for sailing.
                                  > We have two lakes around here and they're really not all that great. I do
                                  > most of my sailing in Charleston, SC where my in-laws live.
                                  > In 5 years I'm moving.
                                  >
                                  > Hajo
                                  > --
                                  > "I wanna live 'til I die, no more, no less." (Eddie Izzard)
                                  >

                                  > On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 6:42 PM, jreed5939 <e3romeo@...> wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > **
                                  > >

                                  > > Sure am. Live only about 300 yards from the water. Stationed on MCAS
                                  > > Cherry Point
                                  > > It is a nice area lots of crab fishing.
                                  > > The melonseed is pretty boat especially from the stern. When ever I get
                                  > > around to it shouldnt take to long. I have two boys to help with the work
                                  > > (got to love child labor lol) . The mayfly will be a fun boat to mess
                                  > > around in and teach the kids a little about boats while building the seed.
                                  > >
                                  > > Where are you located?

                                • Hajo Smulders
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Sep 8, 2012
                                    I'd gladly discuss that of group: hajosmulders AT gmail dot com
                                    And I do sail / windsurf / kitesurf Allatoona as well as Lanier sometimes.
                                    Stinks might be too strong a word, having grown up in Holland it's just not
                                    ideal...
                                    My next boat is going to be a sailing canoe. That would be a better boat
                                    for this city.

                                    Hajo
                                    --

                                    On Sat, Sep 8, 2012 at 11:54 AM, bbrucebrb2002 <Bbrucebrb@...> wrote:

                                    > **
                                    >

                                    > Hajo, I do agree that Charleston is a great place to sail, as is the whole
                                    > Georgia coast, BUT, lake sailing here is not that bad. I also live in
                                    > Atlanta. Tomorrow, (sunday the 9th), is supposed to be windy, clear, and in
                                    > the low 70s with warm water. How much better does it get? I am going out,
                                    > and you have an open invitation:) I expect to see at least 12kts and maybe
                                    > 15 on a very wooden boat. I sail where ever I am anytime I can. Come on
                                    > out! Bruce
                                    >
                                    > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Hajo Smulders <hajosmulders@...> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > Located in Atlanta, GA which stinks for sailing.
                                    > > We have two lakes around here and they're really not all that great. I do
                                    > > most of my sailing in Charleston, SC where my in-laws live.
                                    > > In 5 years I'm moving.
                                    > >
                                    > > Hajo

                                  • jreed5939
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Sep 8, 2012
                                      Dont know about that. Long drive and a lot of logistics to pull that of. I would love to do it but alot would have to happen between now and then.

                                      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "CHARLES" <chuckpierce@...> wrote:

                                      > It would be great to see another Mayfly on the 200 next year :)
                                      >
                                      > Chuck P
                                      >
                                      > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "jreed5939" <e3romeo@> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > Will do Chuck. Was just watching you youtube videos from this years Texas 200 looks like she made it thru in fine fashion again this year. Thinking about doing the NC Challenge in mine next year we shall see.
                                      > > Jeremy
                                      > >

                                      > > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "chuckpierce@" <chuckpierce@> wrote:
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Jeremy-don't buy a trailer, build a boat dolly so she is easy to load into the van. Mine travels in the back of a Toyota pickup-she has seen about 2500 miles back there :)
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Chuck P

                                    • jreed5939
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Sep 8, 2012
                                        We did get the mast glued up today and the port side drawn out on the ply. Tomorrow we start cutting plywood and putting together the temp frames and bulkheads. Waiting on the tablesaw I ordered for the shop to show up next week so I can really get to work. :-)

                                      • john colley
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Sep 10, 2012
                                          I envy you with your off shore sailing .My nearest off shore venue is Bass Straight,probably one of the most treacherous pieces of water in the world.

                                          -Sigurd Olson

                                          ________________________________
                                          Hajo, I do agree that Charleston is a great place to sail, as is the whole Georgia coast, BUT, lake sailing here is not that bad. I also live in Atlanta. Tomorrow, (sunday the 9th), is supposed to be windy, clear, and in the low 70s with warm water. How much better does it get? I am going out, and you have an open invitation:) I expect to see at least 12kts and maybe 15 on a very wooden boat. I sail where ever I am anytime I can. Come on out! Bruce

                                          --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Hajo Smulders <hajosmulders@...> wrote:

                                          > Located in Atlanta, GA which stinks for sailing.
                                          > We have two lakes around here and they're really not all that great. I do
                                          > most of my sailing in Charleston, SC where my in-laws live.
                                          > In 5 years I'm moving.
                                          >
                                          > Hajo
                                          > --
                                          > "I wanna live 'til I die, no more, no less." (Eddie Izzard)
                                          >

                                          > On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 6:42 PM, jreed5939 <e3romeo@...> wrote:
                                          >
                                          > > **
                                          > >

                                          > > Sure am. Live only about 300 yards from the water. Stationed on MCAS
                                          > > Cherry Point
                                          > > It is a nice area lots of crab fishing.
                                          > > The melonseed is pretty boat especially from the stern. When ever I get
                                          > > around to it shouldnt take to long. I have two boys to help with the work
                                          > > (got to love child labor lol) . The mayfly will be a fun boat to mess
                                          > > around in and teach the kids a little about boats while building the seed.
                                          > >
                                          > > Where are you located?

                                        • FRANK COLETTA
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Sep 10, 2012
                                            Chuck does your Toyota have the 5 or 6 foot bed?

                                            To: Michalak@yahoogroups.com
                                            From: chuckpierce@...
                                            Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2012 21:06:41 +0000

> [...]

                                            > > google. Some of you here I have followed along with in duckworks
                                            > > articles and others like Mr Goodman on youtube.
                                            > > >
                                            > > > I use to sail quite a bit in SoCal out of Newport many years ago
                                            > > unfortunately being on active duty is not conducive to owning a Hunter
                                            > > or Catalina. So after being boatless for many years I got the wild idea
                                            > > to build something small. So I am now the proud owner of a set of Mayfly
                                            > > 14 plans :) . So far I have all of the 1/4 ply and a couple 1x3 still
                                            > > need to get the 1/2 ply and the rest of the lumber. Once all that is
                                            > > bought then I will get Mr Michalak's book and get to butchering good
                                            > > lumber haha.
                                            > > >
                                            > > > I look forward to learning from you all and bugging you all with my
                                            > > stupid questions.
                                            > > >
                                            > > > P.S. I am in Eastern North Carolina if anyone is near by I would love
                                            > > to buy you a cup of coffee and pick your brain.

                                          • CHARLES
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Sep 10, 2012
                                              It's the extended cab with the 6 foot bed. With the tailgate down, there is 7'9" front of bed to end of tailgate. The stern is much heavier than the bow, so this works out. When she is tied down, you can shake the bow of the boat and the whole truck moves :) When I get some time, I'll put some pics up of the dolly and roller system....

                                              Chuck P