Re: Mayfly14

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 1, 2012
      I loved those videos in that they illustrated to me a more "relaxed"
      form of sailing - lounging back and enjoying the moment and the dolphins
      swimming along with you etc. I have been on canoe trips were some of the
      group can't seem to wait to get to the destination and miss a lot
      instead of just enjoying and relishing the moment. And getting impatient
      with those you lag behind. So often, my wife and I preferred to go out
      alone.

      There is a type of tape that doesn't require sewing it down on a
      polytarp sail. Wish I could find a source for it.

      You can spend a fair amount of bucks on a high quality sail and rigging
      it for best performance, but what to do when the wind dies? I think
      Jim's philosophy is to invest some of the bucks in a small reliable
      outboard instead, especially if you are a novice sailor. Even a small 2
      hp OB will drive a lot of Jim's designs at hull speed against a light
      head wind better than a costly sail.

      But you are lucky getting a good new sail like you did. Then tweaks
      sound reasonable cost-wise for sure.

      Nels

      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "CHARLES" <chuckpierce@...> wrote:

      > Hi, Nels, that is my Mayfly in the 2011 Texas200. At that time, she
      had the original setup that Jim specifies and the polytarp sail that I
      built per Jim's instructions in his book, and she did well on that trip.
      In Seadrift after the 200, a friend noticed that the taped (not sewn)
      polytarp sail was falling apart, so he sent me a Dacron sail that he had
      made for a boat that he had never built. I was inspired with the new
      sail to try some of Michael Storer and Brian Pearson's recommendations
      for better balanced lug performance.

      > Chuck Leinweber's pump up shower made huge contributions to
      performance both years. :)

      > Chuck P
      >
      > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "prairiedog2332" nelsarv@ wrote:
      > >
      > > I think this one is set-up pretty close to what Jim writes in his
      build
      > > book with a good view of the so-called "tack line".
      > >

      > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgPWwbATdw4&feature=relmfu
      > >

      > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yD0HVh7BEfk&feature=relmfu
      > >

      > > I notice there is one of Chuck's portable showers on board as
      well:-)

      > > Nels

    • jreed5939
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 5, 2012
        Chuck

        Reading your adventures with GAMARAY is what convinced me to buy the plans for the Mayfly 14. I just went and bought all the 1/4 ply this evening (building on a budget) . I hope that my boys and I enjoy it as much as you have.

        > I loved those videos in that they illustrated to me a more "relaxed"
        > form of sailing - lounging back and enjoying the moment and the dolphins
        > swimming along with you etc. I have been on canoe trips were some of the
        > group can't seem to wait to get to the destination and miss a lot
        > instead of just enjoying and relishing the moment. And getting impatient
        > with those you lag behind. So often, my wife and I preferred to go out
        > alone.
        >

        > There is a type of tape that doesn't require sewing it down on a
        > polytarp sail. Wish I could find a source for it.
        >

        > You can spend a fair amount of bucks on a high quality sail and rigging
        > it for best performance, but what to do when the wind dies? I think
        > Jim's philosophy is to invest some of the bucks in a small reliable
        > outboard instead, especially if you are a novice sailor. Even a small 2
        > hp OB will drive a lot of Jim's designs at hull speed against a light
        > head wind better than a costly sail.
        >

        > But you are lucky getting a good new sail like you did. Then tweaks
        > sound reasonable cost-wise for sure.
        >

        > Nels
        >

        > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "CHARLES" <chuckpierce@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi, Nels, that is my Mayfly in the 2011 Texas200. At that time, she
        > had the original setup that Jim specifies and the polytarp sail that I
        > built per Jim's instructions in his book, and she did well on that trip.
        > In Seadrift after the 200, a friend noticed that the taped (not sewn)
        > polytarp sail was falling apart, so he sent me a Dacron sail that he had
        > made for a boat that he had never built. I was inspired with the new
        > sail to try some of Michael Storer and Brian Pearson's recommendations
        > for better balanced lug performance.
        > >
        > > Chuck Leinweber's pump up shower made huge contributions to
        > performance both years. :)
        > >
        > > Chuck P
        > >
        > > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "prairiedog2332" nelsarv@ wrote:
        > > >
        > > > I think this one is set-up pretty close to what Jim writes in his
        > build
        > > > book with a good view of the so-called "tack line".
        > > >

        > > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgPWwbATdw4&feature=relmfu
        > > >

        > > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yD0HVh7BEfk&feature=relmfu
        > > >

        > > > I notice there is one of Chuck's portable showers on board as
        > well:-)
        > > >

        > > > Nels

      • CHARLES
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 7, 2012
          The Mayfly 14 is a fine little boat-big enough hold supplies for a singlehander on a pretty good trip, or 2 or 3 kids/adults in calm waters for daysailing. We have had a lot of fun with her, and she was cheap and quick to build. Good luck with the build!

          Chuck P

          --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "jreed5939" <e3romeo@...> wrote:

          > Chuck
          >
          > Reading your adventures with GAMARAY is what convinced me to buy the plans for the Mayfly 14. I just went and bought all the 1/4 ply this evening (building on a budget) . I hope that my boys and I enjoy it as much as you have.
          >
          > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "prairiedog2332" <nelsarv@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I loved those videos in that they illustrated to me a more "relaxed"
          > > form of sailing - lounging back and enjoying the moment and the dolphins
          > > swimming along with you etc. I have been on canoe trips were some of the
          > > group can't seem to wait to get to the destination and miss a lot
          > > instead of just enjoying and relishing the moment. And getting impatient
          > > with those you lag behind. So often, my wife and I preferred to go out
          > > alone.
          > >

          > > There is a type of tape that doesn't require sewing it down on a
          > > polytarp sail. Wish I could find a source for it.
          > >

          > > You can spend a fair amount of bucks on a high quality sail and rigging
          > > it for best performance, but what to do when the wind dies? I think
          > > Jim's philosophy is to invest some of the bucks in a small reliable
          > > outboard instead, especially if you are a novice sailor. Even a small 2
          > > hp OB will drive a lot of Jim's designs at hull speed against a light
          > > head wind better than a costly sail.
          > >

          > > But you are lucky getting a good new sail like you did. Then tweaks
          > > sound reasonable cost-wise for sure.
          > >

          > > Nels
          > >

          > > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "CHARLES" <chuckpierce@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Hi, Nels, that is my Mayfly in the 2011 Texas200. At that time, she
          > > had the original setup that Jim specifies and the polytarp sail that I
          > > built per Jim's instructions in his book, and she did well on that trip.
          > > In Seadrift after the 200, a friend noticed that the taped (not sewn)
          > > polytarp sail was falling apart, so he sent me a Dacron sail that he had
          > > made for a boat that he had never built. I was inspired with the new
          > > sail to try some of Michael Storer and Brian Pearson's recommendations
          > > for better balanced lug performance.
          > > >
          > > > Chuck Leinweber's pump up shower made huge contributions to
          > > performance both years. :)
          > > >
          > > > Chuck P

          > > build

          > > well:-)

        • Andres Espino
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 7, 2012
            JM does not say so in the descriptions, but to me the Mayfly 14 and mayfly 16 look very much to be a sharpie.. and some people do call small sharpies skiffs.  That extra 2 feet on the 16 makes a huge difference I think.

            They are fine looking and should be stable in all kinds of conditions and the balanced lug rig is easy-peasey to sail.

            The Mayfly 14 might be a nice large dingy to tow behind a larger sailboat where one needs to carry several people and gear to and from shore and sometimes beach it.  One could make covers that wingnut down tight to tow her at sea without it filling with water from the spray.

            I like the looks of her.

            Andrew