Re: [Michalak] Re: Cheap sail ideas?

  • Hajo Smulders
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 8, 2012
      For a tiny bit more you can get good UV resistant (white) polytarp. That
      stuff will last MUCH longer. (Don't only think of it as money, you invest
      time as well!) Chuck did three "HEAVY" seasons in his Caprice (Second
      largest Michalak boat) with 'good' polytarp sails.
      FWIW: I highly recommend Dave's polysail kits. They cost about the same as
      it would cost me to buy the stuff, you get everything in one go, and you
      get support from a very nice guy. (He actually gives support to people that
      didn't buy from him on various lists as well. Great guy!)

      Hajo
      --
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and
      then beat you with experience" (Mark Twain)

    • jhargrovewright2@juno.com

        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 8, 2012
          The original query was in regard to using something quick and cheap
          until the polysail kit arrives. So I think that was a good question to
          discuss.
          Nels
          --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Hajo Smulders <hajosmulders@...> wrote:

          > For a tiny bit more you can get good UV resistant (white) polytarp.
          That
          > stuff will last MUCH longer. (Don't only think of it as money, you
          invest
          > time as well!) Chuck did three "HEAVY" seasons in his Caprice (Second
          > largest Michalak boat) with 'good' polytarp sails.
          > FWIW: I highly recommend Dave's polysail kits. They cost about the
          same as
          > it would cost me to buy the stuff, you get everything in one go, and
          you
          > get support from a very nice guy. (He actually gives support to people
          that
          > didn't buy from him on various lists as well. Great guy!)
          >
          > Hajo
          > --
          > "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their
          level and
          > then beat you with experience" (Mark Twain)
          >

          > On Sun, Jul 8, 2012 at 9:14 AM, prairiedog2332 nelsarv@... wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > According to Jim a cheap polytarp should last for a season on a sail
          > > this size.

        • Robert
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 10, 2012
            Thanks for the advice re: dirt cheap alternatives. Met Dave at the last EC and have spoken to him by phone. Intend to support him. I am looking for as close to free as possible right now though. If I cannot locate a piece of tyvek free I will find the cheapest tarp possible and use either white duck tape or two sided carpet tape.

            Now I am toying with a quick decision between the piccup spars I've built or a smaller gaff rig I found in a plan from Paul Fisher of Selway Fisher. All spars would easily fit in my canoe and I could probably use it without the 8' ama I am almost done with. 69 sf is a lot for a 14 foot canoe...

            > The original query was in regard to using something quick and cheap
            > until the polysail kit arrives. So I think that was a good question to
            > discuss.
            > Nels
            > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Hajo Smulders <hajosmulders@> wrote:
            > >
            > > For a tiny bit more you can get good UV resistant (white) polytarp.
            > That
            > > stuff will last MUCH longer. (Don't only think of it as money, you
            > invest
            > > time as well!) Chuck did three "HEAVY" seasons in his Caprice (Second
            > > largest Michalak boat) with 'good' polytarp sails.
            > > FWIW: I highly recommend Dave's polysail kits. They cost about the
            > same as
            > > it would cost me to buy the stuff, you get everything in one go, and
            > you
            > > get support from a very nice guy. (He actually gives support to people
            > that
            > > didn't buy from him on various lists as well. Great guy!)
            > >
            > > Hajo
            > > --
            > > "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their
            > level and
            > > then beat you with experience" (Mark Twain)
            > >

            > > On Sun, Jul 8, 2012 at 9:14 AM, prairiedog2332 nelsarv@ wrote:
            > >
            > > > **
            > > >

            > > > According to Jim a cheap polytarp should last for a season on a sail
            > > > this size.

          • Hajo Smulders
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 10, 2012
              My favorite rig for a canoe is the balanced lug. Easy to cut; stores
              easily; can use cheap materials, reefable.
              Above mentioned Dave has very good instructions on how to cut such a sail:
              http://www.polysail.com/lug.htm
              Build your tyvek sail the way Dave describes and you'll have good practice
              for the polytarp. (BTW: On a small canoe sail; you can just use wooden
              poles from the hardware store or bamboo if your other spars don't work.)
              For Tyvek: try going by some building sites; I don't see why they wouldn't
              give you a few feet from a roll when asked nicely. Especially when you
              mention you want to make a sail out of it.

              Hajo
              --

              On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 12:12 PM, Robert <footstepfollower@...> wrote:

              > **
              >

              > Thanks for the advice re: dirt cheap alternatives. Met Dave at the last EC
              > and have spoken to him by phone. Intend to support him. I am looking for as
              > close to free as possible right now though. If I cannot locate a piece of
              > tyvek free I will find the cheapest tarp possible and use either white duck
              > tape or two sided carpet tape.
              >
              > Now I am toying with a quick decision between the piccup spars I've built
              > or a smaller gaff rig I found in a plan from Paul Fisher of Selway Fisher.
              > All spars would easily fit in my canoe and I could probably use it without
              > the 8' ama I am almost done with. 69 sf is a lot for a 14 foot canoe...
              >

              > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "prairiedog2332" <nelsarv@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > The original query was in regard to using something quick and cheap
              > > until the polysail kit arrives. So I think that was a good question to
              > > discuss.
              > > Nels
              > > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Hajo Smulders <hajosmulders@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > For a tiny bit more you can get good UV resistant (white) polytarp.
              > > That
              > > > stuff will last MUCH longer. (Don't only think of it as money, you
              > > invest
              > > > time as well!) Chuck did three "HEAVY" seasons in his Caprice (Second
              > > > largest Michalak boat) with 'good' polytarp sails.
              > > > FWIW: I highly recommend Dave's polysail kits. They cost about the
              > > same as
              > > > it would cost me to buy the stuff, you get everything in one go, and
              > > you
              > > > get support from a very nice guy. (He actually gives support to people
              > > that
              > > > didn't buy from him on various lists as well. Great guy!)
              > > >
              > > > Hajo
              > > > --
              > > > "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their
              > > level and
              > > > then beat you with experience" (Mark Twain)

            • Kenneth
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 10, 2012
                My taped-only Tyvek sail has lasted into its second season on a PDR -- approximately 50 hours of sailing.

                I think you can get away with a cheap tarp if you need to do so; consider it a practice run!

                However, the white Polytarp kit I got from Dave seems to be superior to what I've been able to locally source. We'll see in a year!

                BTW -- Dave gave personal advice when I had trouble deciding what to do about V-darts in constructing the lug for my piccup pram.