Re: Cheap sail ideas?

    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 8, 2012
      According to Jim a cheap polytarp should last for a season on a sail
      this size.
      http://www.duckworksbbs.com/sails/jim/piccup_pram/index.htm
      <http://www.duckworksbbs.com/sails/jim/piccup_pram/index.htm>
      He doesn't even bother with darts when using light tarp as the material
      will stretch a bit with usage giving some added shape. Just a bit of
      fullness added when cutting it out. 2-3" of convex curve on the outer
      edges except for the luff which has a bit of hollow to prevent flutter.
      St. John says you can crimp it a bit when applying the duck tape to a
      straight cut luff and I also agree with him to obtain the white tape if
      possible.
      Also agree with the other John about using a mallet, although I burnish
      the tape down using the rounded end of a screwdriver handle to rub the
      tape into the tarp.
      Good grommets are a challenge if you don't have time to order from
      Duckworks.
      Have a great vacation!
      Nels
      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Robert" <footstepfollower@...> wrote:

      > I have made spars from Piccup plans and intend to get a polysail kit
      > make my lugsail. Broke right now and heading to a two week vacation on
      > the beach. What have you used for bare bones budget sails? I am
      looking
      > for a local source for a piece of Tyvek. Would a basic box store
      > polytarp be fine for something to last a couple weeks? What about
      > sources for cheap grommets locally?

    • Hajo Smulders
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 8, 2012
        For a tiny bit more you can get good UV resistant (white) polytarp. That
        stuff will last MUCH longer. (Don't only think of it as money, you invest
        time as well!) Chuck did three "HEAVY" seasons in his Caprice (Second
        largest Michalak boat) with 'good' polytarp sails.
        FWIW: I highly recommend Dave's polysail kits. They cost about the same as
        it would cost me to buy the stuff, you get everything in one go, and you
        get support from a very nice guy. (He actually gives support to people that
        didn't buy from him on various lists as well. Great guy!)

        Hajo
        --
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and
        then beat you with experience" (Mark Twain)

      • jhargrovewright2@juno.com

          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 8, 2012
            The original query was in regard to using something quick and cheap
            until the polysail kit arrives. So I think that was a good question to
            discuss.
            Nels
            --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Hajo Smulders <hajosmulders@...> wrote:

            > For a tiny bit more you can get good UV resistant (white) polytarp.
            That
            > stuff will last MUCH longer. (Don't only think of it as money, you
            invest
            > time as well!) Chuck did three "HEAVY" seasons in his Caprice (Second
            > largest Michalak boat) with 'good' polytarp sails.
            > FWIW: I highly recommend Dave's polysail kits. They cost about the
            same as
            > it would cost me to buy the stuff, you get everything in one go, and
            you
            > get support from a very nice guy. (He actually gives support to people
            that
            > didn't buy from him on various lists as well. Great guy!)
            >
            > Hajo
            > --
            > "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their
            level and
            > then beat you with experience" (Mark Twain)
            >

            > On Sun, Jul 8, 2012 at 9:14 AM, prairiedog2332 nelsarv@... wrote:
            >
            > > **
            > >

            > > According to Jim a cheap polytarp should last for a season on a sail
            > > this size.

          • Robert
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 10, 2012
              Thanks for the advice re: dirt cheap alternatives. Met Dave at the last EC and have spoken to him by phone. Intend to support him. I am looking for as close to free as possible right now though. If I cannot locate a piece of tyvek free I will find the cheapest tarp possible and use either white duck tape or two sided carpet tape.

              Now I am toying with a quick decision between the piccup spars I've built or a smaller gaff rig I found in a plan from Paul Fisher of Selway Fisher. All spars would easily fit in my canoe and I could probably use it without the 8' ama I am almost done with. 69 sf is a lot for a 14 foot canoe...

              > The original query was in regard to using something quick and cheap
              > until the polysail kit arrives. So I think that was a good question to
              > discuss.
              > Nels
              > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Hajo Smulders <hajosmulders@> wrote:
              > >
              > > For a tiny bit more you can get good UV resistant (white) polytarp.
              > That
              > > stuff will last MUCH longer. (Don't only think of it as money, you
              > invest
              > > time as well!) Chuck did three "HEAVY" seasons in his Caprice (Second
              > > largest Michalak boat) with 'good' polytarp sails.
              > > FWIW: I highly recommend Dave's polysail kits. They cost about the
              > same as
              > > it would cost me to buy the stuff, you get everything in one go, and
              > you
              > > get support from a very nice guy. (He actually gives support to people
              > that
              > > didn't buy from him on various lists as well. Great guy!)
              > >
              > > Hajo
              > > --
              > > "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their
              > level and
              > > then beat you with experience" (Mark Twain)
              > >

              > > On Sun, Jul 8, 2012 at 9:14 AM, prairiedog2332 nelsarv@ wrote:
              > >
              > > > **
              > > >

              > > > According to Jim a cheap polytarp should last for a season on a sail
              > > > this size.

            • Hajo Smulders
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 10, 2012
                My favorite rig for a canoe is the balanced lug. Easy to cut; stores
                easily; can use cheap materials, reefable.
                Above mentioned Dave has very good instructions on how to cut such a sail:
                http://www.polysail.com/lug.htm
                Build your tyvek sail the way Dave describes and you'll have good practice
                for the polytarp. (BTW: On a small canoe sail; you can just use wooden
                poles from the hardware store or bamboo if your other spars don't work.)
                For Tyvek: try going by some building sites; I don't see why they wouldn't
                give you a few feet from a roll when asked nicely. Especially when you
                mention you want to make a sail out of it.

                Hajo
                --

                On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 12:12 PM, Robert <footstepfollower@...> wrote:

                > **
                >

                > Thanks for the advice re: dirt cheap alternatives. Met Dave at the last EC
                > and have spoken to him by phone. Intend to support him. I am looking for as
                > close to free as possible right now though. If I cannot locate a piece of
                > tyvek free I will find the cheapest tarp possible and use either white duck
                > tape or two sided carpet tape.
                >
                > Now I am toying with a quick decision between the piccup spars I've built
                > or a smaller gaff rig I found in a plan from Paul Fisher of Selway Fisher.
                > All spars would easily fit in my canoe and I could probably use it without
                > the 8' ama I am almost done with. 69 sf is a lot for a 14 foot canoe...
                >

                > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "prairiedog2332" <nelsarv@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > The original query was in regard to using something quick and cheap
                > > until the polysail kit arrives. So I think that was a good question to
                > > discuss.
                > > Nels
                > > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Hajo Smulders <hajosmulders@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > For a tiny bit more you can get good UV resistant (white) polytarp.
                > > That
                > > > stuff will last MUCH longer. (Don't only think of it as money, you
                > > invest
                > > > time as well!) Chuck did three "HEAVY" seasons in his Caprice (Second
                > > > largest Michalak boat) with 'good' polytarp sails.
                > > > FWIW: I highly recommend Dave's polysail kits. They cost about the
                > > same as
                > > > it would cost me to buy the stuff, you get everything in one go, and
                > > you
                > > > get support from a very nice guy. (He actually gives support to people
                > > that
                > > > didn't buy from him on various lists as well. Great guy!)
                > > >
                > > > Hajo
                > > > --
                > > > "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their
                > > level and
                > > > then beat you with experience" (Mark Twain)

              • Kenneth
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 10, 2012
                  My taped-only Tyvek sail has lasted into its second season on a PDR -- approximately 50 hours of sailing.

                  I think you can get away with a cheap tarp if you need to do so; consider it a practice run!

                  However, the white Polytarp kit I got from Dave seems to be superior to what I've been able to locally source. We'll see in a year!

                  BTW -- Dave gave personal advice when I had trouble deciding what to do about V-darts in constructing the lug for my piccup pram.