Re: Hapscut-Sailing Review

  • Rob Kellock
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 2, 2012
      Excellent series of videos you've made, John. Thank you. Hapscut has lots of flare which means the lower leeboard guard has to be very broad. Do you think this could be a weakness? How did you secure it to the hull?

      Cheers,

      Rob.

      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "John" <goodman_clan@...> wrote:

      > Posted a video quoting Jim's design concept statement of Hapscut with pictures from our Texas 200 trip. The pictures illustrate his quotes and how successful they were.
      >
      > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pN-Z381oPPA
      >
      > John & Rosa Goodman

    • John
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 2, 2012
        There is no weakness in this attachment method.

        The hulls are 1/4" ply and I have a large 1/2" ply backing plate inside the boat that runs the whole length of the guard. It is screwed/glued together with 3", #10 screws at 6" O.C.

        You can lift the whole boat by the lower guard if needed.

        It is made from a fir 2x10 laminated between 2 layers of 1/4" plywood. I did make the lower guard 12" longer so the leeboard has something to rub against while on the trailer or when the board is swept aft.

        In this video you can see that pretty clearly; http://www.youtube.com/my_videos_edit?ns=1&video_id=jnk8Rst30KM

        Also in this video note the solid piece of wood that is screwed onto the end/face of the guard. This was to adjust the angle of the board to get it more perpendicular and provide a rub rail of sorts.

        JDG

        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Rob Kellock" <creditscorenz@...> wrote:

        > Excellent series of videos you've made, John. Thank you. Hapscut has lots of flare which means the lower leeboard guard has to be very broad. Do you think this could be a weakness? How did you secure it to the hull?
        >
        > Cheers,
        >
        > Rob.
        >
        > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "John" <goodman_clan@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Posted a video quoting Jim's design concept statement of Hapscut with pictures from our Texas 200 trip. The pictures illustrate his quotes and how successful they were.
        > >
        > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pN-Z381oPPA
        > >
        > > John & Rosa Goodman

      • John
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 21, 2012
          Been doing a lot of sailing on our Hapscut and posted more videos. They are not edited so the wind in the microphone is a little loud.

          http://youtu.be/3T4FFDgFByc

          http://youtu.be/913hNrMNYnk

          Happy sailing

          --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "John" <goodman_clan@...> wrote:

          > My wife and I sailed a little over 200 miles with the first Hapscut during the 2012 Texas 200. We sailed from Port Isabel to Seadrift, Texas over a 5day/4night trip.
          >
          > WOW! We had fun!
          >
          > I will post a few pictures and write a much better review later since we are still washing clothes and cleaning the boat up.
          >
          > Would I sail in Hapscut in another TX200? YES!
          >

          > More later.
          >
          > JDG

        • John Boy
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 21, 2012
            Looks like some great sailing!  I've been thinking of building something a little longer than my Toon2.  I've been thinking about either a Normsboat or an AF2.  I might have to reconsider Hapscut.
            John Boy

            I have a blog!  http://toon2sailor.blogspot.com/

            Robert Louis Stevenson, Treasure Island

            ________________________________
            Been doing a lot of sailing on our Hapscut and posted more videos. They are not edited so the wind in the microphone is a little loud.

            http://youtu.be/3T4FFDgFByc

            http://youtu.be/913hNrMNYnk

            Happy sailing

            --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "John" <goodman_clan@...> wrote:

            > My wife and I sailed a little over 200 miles with the first Hapscut during the 2012 Texas 200. We sailed from Port Isabel to Seadrift, Texas over a 5day/4night trip.
            >
            > WOW! We had fun!
            >
            > I will post a few pictures and write a much better review later since we are still washing clothes and cleaning the boat up.
            >
            > Would I sail in Hapscut in another TX200? YES!
            >

            > More later.
            >
            > JDG

          • Rob Kellock
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 21, 2012
              John,

              These are great videos. You've got a clever setup there with your boom camera. Hapscut looks like an excellent family boat. I particularly like the way you and your son can fool about right up the front on the bow. Being on the bow of a boat while it's sailing along is great fun. Looking at your videos reminds me of the way I sail my Philsboat, but yours is bigger and faster with much more room to move about. Nice paint job too.

              Cheers,

              Rob.

              --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "John" <goodman_clan@...> wrote:

              > Been doing a lot of sailing on our Hapscut and posted more videos. They are not edited so the wind in the microphone is a little loud.
              >
              > http://youtu.be/3T4FFDgFByc
              >
              > http://youtu.be/913hNrMNYnk
              >
              > Happy sailing
              >
              > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "John" <goodman_clan@> wrote:
              > >
              > > My wife and I sailed a little over 200 miles with the first Hapscut during the 2012 Texas 200. We sailed from Port Isabel to Seadrift, Texas over a 5day/4night trip.
              > >
              > > WOW! We had fun!
              > >
              > > I will post a few pictures and write a much better review later since we are still washing clothes and cleaning the boat up.
              > >
              > > Would I sail in Hapscut in another TX200? YES!
              > >

              > > More later.
              > >
              > > JDG

            • John
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 22, 2012
                Here is another video of me reboarding Hapscut after a swim. In order to do this I made the lower leeboard guard 8" longer than the plans. This provides a small step to put my feet on as I pull up and into the boat. It's not easy but at least I know it can be done.

                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vy9w_pvAxr8&feature=youtu.be

                JDGoodman