Centerboard clearance

  • Dennis Marshall
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 6, 2012
      Question for the builders:  I am building the Skat catboat and have started building the centerboard trunk.  The plans call for an inside width of 1 1/2" and the board itself is to be 3/4".  It seems to me to be excessive clearance.  What say Y'all?

      Dennis

    • joe_mapango
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 6, 2012
        Me thinks it is a bit excessive too. If you glassed the insides of the trunk, and the outside of the board, I could see you eating up 1/4 to 1/2 inch. You may want to drop Jim an email (jim@...) and ask him what he thinks.

        Chris Curtis
        s/v Romany
        curtisfamilyadventures.wordpress.com

        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Dennis Marshall <fiddleguy2@...> wrote:

        > Question for the builders:  I am building the Skat catboat and have started building the centerboard trunk.  The plans call for an inside width of 1 1/2" and the board itself is to be 3/4".  It seems to me to be excessive clearance.  What say Y'all?
        >

        > Dennis

      • tom s
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 7, 2012
          just last night I ground @ 3/8 off my board and repainted. seemed like the fit was perfect, but after a weekend in the water it swelled enough I had to beat it out of the trunk. daggerboard, but still.

          Tom

          Sent from my iPad

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 7, 2012
            Dennis,

            My first thought was the same as yours and Chris' but now I think about
            it more I would build to plan. Three things can happen with a
            centerboard and they are all bad.

            1. It can swell and jam.

            2. It can warp and jam.

            3. It can pick up debris inside the case and jam.

            If #3 happens, it's good to have a thin strip of something (aluminum?)
            to slide down between the board and the case and push the offending
            debris back out the bottom. And you need some clearance to do that, And
            of course the cap on the trunck has to be removeable.

            Not sure what Jim calls for a bearing surface between the board and
            trunk or the pivot bolt design but I think a large washer made from a
            thin cutting board material or delrin on each side would be a good
            choice.

            Still a good idea to mail Jim though. I had plans that called for
            centerboards - Elver and Cartopper - and also some with a daggerboard,
            (Folding Schooner) and I sold them all.

            Nels

            --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "joe_mapango"