Twister Questions

  • jyurasit
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 14 7:49 PM
      I have been watching the latest Twister build with interest. It looks like it might be my next boat. I only have access to protected lakes that do not have reliable wind, but I love to sail. I have spent many days on the water, bobbing in the hot sun, with no wind to speak of. On those days it would have been great to be able to motor around and enjoy the view. I also like to fish. Twister seems like it would be the perfect boat to do all of that.

      I read that the builder of the Twister shown on Jim's site moved the cabin bulkhead aft to enlarge the cabin. Did he alter its dimensions to fit that new location? How far aft did he go with that? What was the resulting length of the cockpit?

      I also saw pictures of Twister sailing and motoring. How did it perform during each activity? Sorry for all of the questions, but I am a newbie builder!
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 14 9:56 PM
        The only build I know of was the one in the photos section,

        ode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&dir=asc
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Michalak/photos/album/396809197/pic/list?\
        mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&dir=asc>

        The main bulkhead was not moved but a bridge deck was installed further
        aft to give more sleeping foot room under the bulkhead. The tops of the
        bridge deck provide seats in the cockpit so no room lost there.

        I thought it was a very smart solution and I think it is a really nice
        design to use for motoring when there is not enough wind or for fishing
        or picnicing. Yet a nice camper for two close friends. Jim suggested a
        4-5 hp OB is about all it will handle. One nice thing is small kids can
        fish from the safety of the slot top and there is a space forward for a
        porta-potti.

        Nels

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 15 1:29 PM
          Nels,

          Thanks for the reply. That is good news. From the pictures it looks like that cabin length is just right. It looks to be the same one that is currently pictured under the Prototype News section of Jim Michalak's website. Have you heard how it performs while sailing? I wonder if it would motor any better than a Mikesboat. I also like the Mikesboat design, but I know my daughters would appreciate the cuddy for the occasional bathroom break. I own Fatcat 2 plans, but that cockpit might be a little crowded.

          Jim

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 15 2:06 PM
            Jim,

            I dropped a line to the builder that there was interest here about his
            boat. So maybe he will check in?

            I had the plans for awhile and they got stolen along with some other
            things. I wrote a couple mails to Jim Michalak about it to see if it
            could be built with a straighter run aft so maybe plane a bit. He was
            strictly against that, as it would spoil the sailing ability too much. I
            think it would motor a bit better than sail - compared to Fatcat2 or
            Mikesboat - because of it's broad stern and flat bottom. The others have
            more rocker and a narrower stern, although Fatcat2 is close. Pat says
            there is lots of room in Fatcat2's cockpit and the plans have a slot top
            option. Fatcat2 is far and away nicer looking but also the sail rig is
            more complicated in my view.

            Hopefully Owen will share how he likes his Twister.