Re: [Michalak] Re: Walk through cabin design question

  • John Boy
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 29, 2012
      I like that idea...

      You can trust me, I have a degree in science...

      Message 2 of 25 , Mar 1, 2012
        I peeled back the tarp enough to take a few photos of my hard top, and posted them in "Jewelbox Jr. slot cover." One shows a front view showing the forward lot cover with edge overlapping the "front door"; 2nd & 3rd show how the covers overlap amidship (oversized lap permits very limited sliding open of one cover independently of the other); 4th shows forward cover lifted and "front door" moved out to show how its frame recesses into the forward companion (screw eye in each side of frame is for bungees that hold door in place); 5th is mast slot; 6th is tinted plexi window in aft cover giving view of sail.

        Some things worth considering: Imagine and plan for rigging the cover underway as well as at anchor. If you put a window in the top (can't see how not to!), then analyze sight lines carefully--simple things like how far up the sail you need to see, where you sit and on what kind of seat, all matter a lot. I've already made several repairs to the covers after leaning on them, etc. without having designed for real use stress.

        The order in which things go into place matters. My forward cover must go on first, and it's a bit tricky getting the slot around the mast (must squeeze around downhaul and snotter). Then aft cover goes on, and fore is lifted a bit to allow overlap. You have to be careful how you present the covers to any wind. Front door goes in place whenever there's more than a few knots wind (for spray), and can go in before or after the slot covers. Back door is seldom used even at anchor (and would interfere with sheet anyway).

        With the covers in place, will you be able to handle ground tackle? I can, but just barely. Will your covers slide in order to let you get in and out of the cabin with covers in place? For me, getting in and out requires opening a couple of feet of the slot, which can be a pain, but covers that slide completely over one another are hard to design.

        Finally, on the one hand, the whole slot must be open to rig and unrig the boat (so rain can get in); on the other hand, it's grand to sail with rain or spray all around, and even green water on deck, and hardly a drop getting in.