Paulsboat, new michalak design

  • thatmoffitt
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 6, 2012
      Hi
      You can follow the prototype build of the jim michalak designed "paulsboat" at
      http://paulsboats.wordpress.com/
      plans won't be available until the prototype is no longer a prototype. I hope to have it at the eastern messabout June1-3. Please do not write jim to try to get him to sell you plans because they are still being worked on.
      Paul
    • Robert
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 7, 2012
        Awesome design! I'll follow closely as you finish this design. I look forward to you publishing your design parameters and other info regarding the design. I was about to order Larsboat plans but am going to wait until you get a bit further along. How versatile will this hull be with rig down, and where will it stow?

        As to capacity, I wonder as to the 250 limit but trust JM's math. I believe you built a Larsboat? Is the capacity similar? I ask because I weigh in at 250 already. The length and beam are limited by the 18" width across the first chine I suppose. My 32" beam 13.5' square sterm canoe has a capacity of over 600 pounds...

        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "thatmoffitt" <thatmoffitt@...> wrote:

        > Hi
        > You can follow the prototype build of the jim michalak designed "paulsboat" at
        > http://paulsboats.wordpress.com/
        > plans won't be available until the prototype is no longer a prototype. I hope to have it at the eastern messabout June1-3. Please do not write jim to try to get him to sell you plans because they are still being worked on.
        > Paul

      • thatmoffitt
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 7, 2012
          Hi
          That capacity is at something like 3 inches. Another inch and you add 100 pounds. The paulsboat is based on the larsboat lines but slightly widened and the center cockpit is straight. The capacity has everything to do with submersion. there is plenty of freeboard left on the paulsboat. I dont know how to do the math by at 5 inches I am sure it is close to 6oo lbs of weight.
          I have a boat house so I will fly the boat over my head for storage. I will use my truck to take it around and doubt a trailer will be needed. I take my 16' catamaran in my truck and this is a lot lighter and less volume.
          paul

          --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Robert" <footstepfollower@...> wrote:

          > Awesome design! I'll follow closely as you finish this design. I look forward to you publishing your design parameters and other info regarding the design. I was about to order Larsboat plans but am going to wait until you get a bit further along. How versatile will this hull be with rig down, and where will it stow?
          >
          > As to capacity, I wonder as to the 250 limit but trust JM's math. I believe you built a Larsboat? Is the capacity similar? I ask because I weigh in at 250 already. The length and beam are limited by the 18" width across the first chine I suppose. My 32" beam 13.5' square sterm canoe has a capacity of over 600 pounds...
          >
          > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "thatmoffitt" <thatmoffitt@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi
          > > You can follow the prototype build of the jim michalak designed "paulsboat" at
          > > http://paulsboats.wordpress.com/
          > > plans won't be available until the prototype is no longer a prototype. I hope to have it at the eastern messabout June1-3. Please do not write jim to try to get him to sell you plans because they are still being worked on.
          > > Paul

        • KEN
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 7, 2012
            math estimating draft.. figger about 62 lbs per cubic foot..
            then the square footage of the floor, as example..
            if its 21 square feet (7x3)
            62x21=1302 at 12" draft depth
            half that 651 lbs at 6"
            half again 325 lbs for 3"
            or 1302 divide by 3 = 434 lbs for 4"
            (this isnt including the weight of the hull subtracted from it)

            gets more complicated with adding rectangle and triangle (half width x length) sections,
            and a little more complicated with estimating angled chines..
            ( ignoring chine of 1 side to ballpark estimate works kinda )
            same for a boat with rocker in its bottom, difficult to estimate accurately,
            but you can get a fair idea with ballpark figgerin anyhow

            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 7, 2012
              Looking at Jim's scribbles up in the right corner of the sketch, looks
              to me like 550 lb at the 6" draft line. Jim tends to be rather
              conservative in his calculations since he has no real idea what the the
              final hull weight will be depending on materials used and how much extra
              stuff the builder adds.

              So it looks to me like ample capacity for a couple and their gear for a
              week or two cruise considering if you can replenish your water supply.

              With those parallel sides it would be easy to lengthen the hull to add
              another crew member or shorten it for one smaller person. Longer hull
              might also go fast with two rowers. Looks like an ideal "Raid" design.

              Nels

              --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, KEN <rekkamurd@...> wrote:

              > math estimating draft.. figger about 62 lbs per cubic foot..
              > then the square footage of the floor, as example..
              > if its 21 square feet (7x3)
              > 62x21=1302 at 12" draft depth
              > half that 651 lbs at 6"
              > half again 325 lbs for 3"
              > or 1302 divide by 3 = 434 lbs for 4"
              > (this isnt including the weight of the hull subtracted from it)
              > gets more complicated with adding rectangle and triangle (half
              width x length) sections,
              > and a little more complicated with estimating angled chines..
              > ( ignoring chine of 1 side to ballpark estimate works kinda )
              > same for a boat with rocker in its bottom, difficult to estimate
              accurately,
              > but you can get a fair idea with ballpark figgerin anyhow

            • Mark
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 8, 2012
                --- I like it! Now I have to hurry up and finish my 11.5ft shantyboat,
                so I can be ready when the plans come out this summer.
                Mark
                Cape Coral, FL

                http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j190/benkhanobi/shantyboat.jpg
              • daniel brown
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 18, 2012
                  wonderful that michalak -and you- are doing a sailing canoe. how many pieces of ply are needed? what kind of ply are you using? looks like you are making great progress. keep the photos coming, thanks paul
                  dan in port royal

                  To: Michalak@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 20, 2012
                    Dan,
                    I am using home depot exterior BC. it takes 6 sheets of 1/4" ply. should way 100-120 LBS when done. I am shooting for a may launch. I have the first week of april off so I should be able to get the hull all glassed to the point were I will have to start worrying about the steering system. Combination hand line/ foot pedal steering.
                    thanks
                    Paul

                    --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, daniel brown <dannyb9@...> wrote:

                    > wonderful that michalak -and you- are doing a sailing canoe. how many pieces of ply are needed? what kind of ply are you using? looks like you are making great progress. keep the photos coming, thanks paul
                    > dan in port royal
                    >

                    > To: Michalak@yahoogroups.com
                    > From: thatmoffitt@...
                    > Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2012 19:40:36 +0000
                    > Subject: [Michalak] Paulsboat, new michalak design
                    >

                    > Hi
                    > You can follow the prototype build of the jim michalak designed "paulsboat" at
                    > http://paulsboats.wordpress.com/
                    > plans won't be available until the prototype is no longer a prototype. I hope to have it at the eastern messabout June1-3. Please do not write jim to try to get him to sell you plans because they are still being worked on.
                    > Paul

                  • daniel brown
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 21, 2012
                      thanks paul, that design is a very interesting and creative interpretation of 'sailing canoe'. i'm building another, different interpretation, 11'8"x 42" vee bottom hull. about 38" on the waterline.
                      i really dont know how i will furnish the interior, maybe just thwarts and breast plates. http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2176163410053419764HkYBYz

                      To: Michalak@yahoogroups.com
                      From: thatmoffitt@...
                      Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 16:02:15 +0000

                    • okiebobby@ymail.com
                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 31, 2013
                        I feel like such a boat slut, and I blame Paul Moffitt & Jim Michalak.

                        Three months ago I was on track and dedicated to a relationship building a Caroline. I switched jobs and have had to put the build on hold. Occasionally I get a chance to boat dream while waiting for enough free time to get building.

                        Yesterday I strayed, and ordered plans for Paulsboat. Caroline, please forgive me. It's not you, it's me.

                        signed, sleepless in OKC.

                        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "thatmoffitt" <thatmoffitt@...> wrote:

                        > Hi
                        > You can follow the prototype build of the jim michalak designed "paulsboat" at
                        > http://paulsboats.wordpress.com/
                        > plans won't be available until the prototype is no longer a prototype. I hope to have it at the eastern messabout June1-3. Please do not write jim to try to get him to sell you plans because they are still being worked on.
                        > Paul

                      • CHARLES
                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 2, 2013
                          Shame!

                        • okiebobby@ymail.com
                          Message 12 of 14 , May 11, 2013
                            Well I strayed, but I'm back to Caroline again.

                            I'm taking measurements to determine if an 18' boat will sit on the 17.5' trailer I recently acquired, and still fit in my 20' garage without too many modifications to the boat, trailer, or garage. Amazingly it all fits, but with no room for error.

                            I'm prone to error, and I really think an 18' boat is too much for me; so I'm trying to determine how much smaller to go. Jim Michalak was generous enough to reply to an email I sent him a few months back. In that email I mentioned building at 95%. He didn't foresee much of a problem building the boat at 95%. If I recall correctly, he mentioned I may need to watch a little more carefully how the chines line up.

                            Well 95% should just fit on the trailer and in the garage with a small, but reasonable margin of error to spare. Now I still need to determine how much boat I really want.

                            P.S. Oh I really do love the plans for Caroline. Not just the boat, but the plans as plans go, are superb. Very easy for a chump like myself to comprehend from multiple planning perspectives.

                            --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "CHARLES" <chuckpierce@...> wrote:

                            > Shame!
                            >
                            > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "okiebobby@" <okiebobby@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > I feel like such a boat slut, and I blame Paul Moffitt & Jim Michalak.
                            > >
                            > > Three months ago I was on track and dedicated to a relationship building a Caroline. I switched jobs and have had to put the build on hold. Occasionally I get a chance to boat dream while waiting for enough free time to get building.
                            > >
                            > > Yesterday I strayed, and ordered plans for Paulsboat. Caroline, please forgive me. It's not you, it's me.
                            > >
                            > > signed, sleepless in OKC.
                            > >

                            > > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "thatmoffitt" <thatmoffitt@> wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > Hi
                            > > > You can follow the prototype build of the jim michalak designed "paulsboat" at
                            > > > http://paulsboats.wordpress.com/
                            > > > plans won't be available until the prototype is no longer a prototype. I hope to have it at the eastern messabout June1-3. Please do not write jim to try to get him to sell you plans because they are still being worked on.
                            > > > Paul

                          • Rob Kellock
                            Message 13 of 14 , May 12, 2013
                              My Philsboat is 14'5" and it should be 15'. This came about because I couldn't find 8ft 1/2 inch plywood, so I bought 2.4m 12mm instead. The sides specify 8ft 1/4 inch plywood and that was available. It was only when I began to scarf the plywood together that I realised the bottom plywood sheet wasn't going to be long enough. What to do?

                              I chopped the central part of the boat out on the plans lengthwise, but kept the width and height dimensions the same. The end result is that my Philsboat is slightly fatter than it should be for its length and has a bit more rocker too. The only impact on the build was the bilge panels. I cut them to the plan measurements, but because I had changed the boat's rocker, they were now too flat. If I had read Jim's book before the build rather than after it, I would have known to overcut them anyway and I wouldn't have had a problem!

                              The end result is a boat I'm quite happy with. It still sails pretty well, but, the only way I would know for sure that my changes have had no impact would be to sail in another Philsboat, built exactly to plan.

                              So anyway, what I'm trying to say is that I reckon you'll be fine going 95%, just beware the bilge panels.

                              Cheers,

                              Rob.

                              Message 14 of 14 , May 17, 2013
                                Rob, thanks for the tip. I really like your Lovely Duckling and your youtube videos. I've been watching them a lot lately to get some perspective on coach space. Curious what the interior L x W x H dimensions are on your boat. I also am wondering what type of slot top cover to go with.