Re: [Michalak] Re: Graphite/epoxy bottom covering vs. Florida sun

  • KEN
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 31, 2012
      I dont know.. paint will protect from the UV, shows ya real quick where scratches are, and can be stripped out of the way one way or another pretty quickly if needed too, is my thinking on it, especially if its outdoors bottom up getting blasted by the sun, paint it white!
      heck, it mightta spared you the damage youre needing to redo, I'd think so anyhow.
      I'd much rather do a quick sanding and a coat of paint than have to really re-do.

      for all the reading (and seeing some too) graphite is great stuff for a river dory thats gonna get scraped against rocks, its tough, doesnt snag for being slippery etc.. I wouldnt think a coat of paint would stop that action at all, maybe leave some of itself on rocks sure..
      but thats about a boat thats GONNA get hammered, where after a trip flipping it upside down attackin it with a belt sander real quick and throwing down some paint, would just be a typical maintenance thing. small dories roll over pretty easily too.