Jim's LFH17 build skin on frame

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 27, 2011
      Using Jim's plans of the Herreshoff/Gardner 17' rowboat, I build it skin on frame. The frames are 1/2" 9 ply Meranti, stringers are 9/16" x 1" Doug Fir, and wales are 9/16" x 1 1/2" D F w/ 5/8's thick spacers. All the connections are either screwed and/or lashed. Only epoxy was used in the scarf joints to get lumber length. Skin is 8 oz. polyester w/ three coats of white tinted varnish. Oar lock sockets are set into brackets which fit between the wales are are adjustable. Floorboard is 1/4" D F ply.

      It all weighs around 61 lbs. and is a dream to row. Building time was around 6 weeks or so. Maybe 8? She rows better w/ a bit of water ballast in the stern. There are 8 pics posted under LFH17 on this site.

      Steve Chambers
    • Michael Walther
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 28, 2011
        Hi Steve & Group, I Had to respond, it is truly beautiful. The different colors of the wood were a great idea. Makes for elegant experiences.   Thanks,  Mike

        ________________________________
        Using Jim's plans of the Herreshoff/Gardner 17' rowboat, I build it skin on frame. The frames are 1/2" 9 ply Meranti, stringers are 9/16" x 1" Doug Fir, and wales are 9/16" x 1 1/2" D F w/ 5/8's thick spacers. All the connections are either screwed and/or lashed. Only epoxy was used in the scarf joints to get lumber length. Skin is 8 oz. polyester w/ three coats of white tinted varnish. Oar lock sockets are set into brackets which fit between the wales are are adjustable.  Floorboard is 1/4" D F ply.

        It all weighs around 61 lbs. and is a dream to row. Building time was around 6 weeks or so. Maybe 8? She rows better w/ a bit of water ballast in the stern. There are 8 pics posted under LFH17 on this site.

        Steve Chambers

      • John Boy
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 28, 2011
          It sure it.  A SOF boat is on my bucket list.
          John Boy

          You can trust me, I have a degree in science...

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 28, 2011
            Beautiful work Steve.

            Any chance of posting a photo that shows the full length of the hull on
            the water? Or better yet - a few! Bet a lot people would be surprised
            whose plans it was built from.

            Nels

            --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Michael Walther <michawalth3@...>

            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 28, 2011
              All, Thanks for the good thoughts. I'll try to get some in the water pics posted. I want/need to thank Dave Gentry for his support, ideas, assistance on adapting sof methods to rowboat construction. His "Whitehall" was the first sof I built a few months ago. Thanks also to Jeff at Kudzu Craft for his lashing videos and his new book "Fuselage Frame Boats".

              And thanks again to Jim for his great small boat plans.

              Steve C.
            • Steve
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 28, 2011
                I just posted the only two full hull pics I have of recent LFH17 launch. Hope they help. Same LFH17 file in the Photos section.

                > Steve Chambers

              • Steve
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 31, 2012
                  Jim has posted a pic of the bare frame of this LHF17 at the top of his Feb. 1st newsletter. Surprise for me. After 10 or more time out in sheltered water I'm finding it is much more stable w/ 20-40 lbs. of water ballast. Carried in collapsable plastic water jugs. Also the designed weight is/was around 100#, and my build is 60# so the ballast figures.

                  Also seem best trimmed w/ stern down a bit, but w/ see through skin, checking the water line is easy.

                  And again, I've posted a few pics under LFH 17 in the photo section of this site.

                  Steve C.