Black streaks in wood...

  • Robert
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2011
      Bought a 16 foot southern yellow pine board to rip for gunwales. It was straight and almost knot free, but had faint black streaks in it. I thought it was perhaps surface mold? However, it was present throughout the board as I ripped it. Now that the wales are glued and screwed it is more evident as I epoxied a small section. Is this mold? Can it be bleached out? Will it affect the life of the wood?
    • daniel brown
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2011
        dont know if its mold but i doubt that it will affect the life of the boat parts. syp is durable and relatively rot resistant. i wouldn't be concerned. the stuff we build is pretty much overbuilt and should last a long time. excluding luan and similar interior type stuff(what a waste of good wood : ( ) i'm refinishing a little pram dinghy i built for my daughter 20 years ago and i'm surprised at how well it has held up. http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2569744430053419764bJbzan
        it has been stored outside with minimal maintenance.

        To: Michalak@yahoogroups.com
        From: footstepfollower@...
        Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2011 10:52:31 +0000
        Subject: [Michalak] Black streaks in wood...

        Bought a 16 foot southern yellow pine board to rip for gunwales. It was straight and almost knot free, but had faint black streaks in it. I thought it was perhaps surface mold? However, it was present throughout the board as I ripped it. Now that the wales are glued and screwed it is more evident as I epoxied a small section. Is this mold? Can it be bleached out? Will it affect the life of the wood?

      • KEN
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 1, 2011
          pine gets blue streaks in it for parasitic worms below in the tree.
          blue pine became fashionable, it used to be rejected as defective.
          it isnt weaker for having the blue streaks in it, but the wood of the lower part of the affected tree will be for worm bore holes..
          -anyhow, thats what comes to my mind about "streaks".

          I doubt it being mold too.

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 1, 2011
            There has been scientific research carried out up in B.C. They found
            that the dark streaking is caused by a fungus carried on the bodies of
            the little worms that are the grub form of the pine beetle. It tends to
            dissicate the tree causing it to dry out in areas already stressed by
            prolonged drought. It has been found to not weaken the wood though -
            actually pre-seasoning it in a way only.

            Yes, the lumber with the blue streaks is highly prized for funiture and
            turning as it creates and interesting pattern. Referred to as "denim"
            wood.

            http://denimpine.com/ <http://denimpine.com/>

            Nels

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 2, 2011
              Guys, thanks for putting my mind at rest. Those photos look a lot like the streaking I have. There was also evidence at one end of the board of some worm bore holes in the board. All to one side and one end though. Pretty amazing piece of lumber for under $12 at Lowe's. I might choose to use ash if doing this again due to the amount of work involved, but I'm really satisfied with the way the syp worked out on a tight budget. I am totally amazed at the stiffness my canoe has now versus its condition with the old aluminum gunwales. Good learning experience for future builds...