RE: [Michalak] Re: Good bright work finish

  • daniel brown
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 9, 2011
      thanks robert you are kind. i did find that i could not add another coat of cetol after the 3 week window, it wouldnt stick even after some light sanding. see the directions. ha! however, after a year or two, the cetol gets sandably hard and easy to refurbish, without the flaking and brittleness associated with traditional varnish.

      To: Michalak@yahoogroups.com
      From: footstepfollower@...
      Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2011 17:08:50 +0000
      Subject: [Michalak] Re: Good bright work finish

      After seeing the photos of Dan's sailing canoes and based on his recommendation, I went for cetol as well. So far I've finished my SYP/white pine/oak rowing seat with it and LOVE it. Flows on easily. Good coverage, and no sanding between coats. Three coats was adequate. I used cetol natural teak to avoid the orangeish tint some complain of with plain cetol. There is a cetol "light" that has less of an orange cast also. I was pleased with the color of the teak finish, and the finish looks even despite the combination of southern yellow pine, white pine and oak used to complete the seat. Very happy with the product...