Balanced lugsail halyard placement

  • ash13brook
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 4, 2011
      I drilled a hole in the top of my mast for my halyard. Does it pull the yard/sail up from the front or rear of the mast? I may just put a block there since I have one, but I still need to know if it goes on the front or rear.

      Thanks,
      Matt Ashbrook
    • John and Kathy Trussell
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 4, 2011
        I don't think it matters much, particularly if you have a round mast which
        will rotate. However, I set mine up so that the hole ('dumb sheave') runs
        side to side. Since most of Jim's boats have offset masts, I run the halyard
        down the outside of the mast with the yard going up the inside. Again, I
        wouldn't worry about it. If you don't like how it turns out, change it to
        suit you.

        Have fun.

        JohnT

        _____

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 4, 2011
          I put my halyards to the aft of all of my masts.
          John Boy

          You can trust me, I have a degree in science...