Re: [Michalak] what would you build

  • jhargrovewright2@juno.com
    Message 1 of 25 , Sep 4, 2011
      John Boy,Sorry I have been busy...Half of the county has burnt down this afternoon. There is a 6 x 14 mile area about 1.5 miles from me that has burnt...at least 300-400 homes in just this county and only one fire....and there are at least 6 around Austin... Nothing has been contained....yet and won't be for several days...Worst wind and dry conditions possible....I am fairly sure it jumped the river and got my cabin, john deer diesel, many tools....I will be up all night. If the wind changes East my home will be overdone toast
      Laguna....Mine only has one cockpit...14' long and 4' wide in the middle of the dance floor. JIB
      From: John Huft <t1ro2003@...>
      To: "Michalak@yahoogroups.com" <Michalak@yahoogroups.com>
      From: John Huft <t1ro2003@...>
      To: "Michalak@yahoogroups.com" <Michalak@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [Michalak] what would you build
      Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2011 05:51:31 -0700 (PDT)

      height: 0;"></div><!--~-|**|PrettyHtmlEnd|**|-~--><!--~-|**|PrettyHtmlStart|**|-~--><!--~-|**|PrettyHtmlEnd|**|-~--><!-- end group email --></html>

    • John Huft
      Message 2 of 25 , Sep 4, 2011
        Be careful, take no chances, God Bless.
        John Boy

        Happy sails to you, until we sail again
        Happy sails to you, keep sailing until then...

        ________________________________
        From: John Huft <t1ro2003@...>
        To: "Michalak@yahoogroups.com" <Michalak@yahoogroups.com>
        John BoyLaguna, Laguna, Laguna, Laguna, Laguna, are my suggestions in the order listed.JIB

        height: 0;"></div><!--~-|**|PrettyHtmlEnd|**|-~--><!--~-|**|PrettyHtmlStart|**|-~--><!--~-|**|PrettyHtmlEnd|**|-~--><!-- end group email --></html>

      • Monies
        Message 3 of 25 , Sep 4, 2011
          We are all worried for you and family, John. Get out if you can with wife and dogs, Laguna. If not, with wife and dogs. Praying for you all. Love, Jackie and Mike

          --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, John Huft <t1ro2003@...> wrote:

          > Be careful, take no chances, God Bless.
          > John Boy
          >

          > Happy sails to you, until we sail again
          > Happy sails to you, keep sailing until then...
          >

          > ________________________________

        • Robert
          Message 4 of 25 , Sep 5, 2011
            I am looking for similarly large capacity. but also want to single hand
            and camp cruise the south Florida Gulf coast. I really like Laguna and
            have plans. I do like Mike's boat, but wanted greater capacity and a
            longer waterline length, 20 feet or more.

            What about about Dani Jay, modified with a closed in stern (no outboard
            well) and sail rig? It looks to me like a fat Frolic2, which I like but
            is too small. It has a large rear deck for the aforementioned ability to
            sun and swim from, and a smaller but useful front deck. It has benches
            on both sides useable for storage/flotation which are 10 feet long and 2
            feet at their widest. It seems the frolic like hullform would be better
            in chop? With raised floorboards you could hold the highschool prom, or
            at least two tents. Versatile no?

            You mentioned later that you like AF2. The cuddy would be great to have,
            but seems it would seriously limit cockpit/deck/sprawling space. What
            about one of the open boat designs you are considering with a bimini?

            Gators over sharks? No way! I canoe down Myakka river within 5 feet of
            dozens of gators. Nary a peep from them. Something unsettling about
            swimming with the sharks though...
            --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, John Huft <t1ro2003@...> wrote:

            > Here's my situation. Between my bio kid and rental kids (foster) I
            have between none and five kids at a time, all under 12. I'm sailing a
            Toon2 and while its a fantastic boat, it can be a little tight with a
            bunch of kidlets. I want a daysailer and it doesn't have to have a
            cuddy cabin. If you had a choice, which Michalak boat would you build?
            > Thanks,
            > John Boy
            >

            > Happy sails to you, until we sail again
            > Happy sails to you, keep sailing until then...

          • John Huft

              I am looking for similarly large capacity. but also want to single hand
              and camp cruise the south Florida Gulf coast. I really like Laguna and
              have plans. I do like Mike's boat, but wanted greater capacity and a
              longer waterline length, 20 feet or more.

              What about about Dani Jay, modified with a closed in stern (no outboard
              well) and sail rig? It looks to me like a fat Frolic2, which I like but
              is too small. It has a large rear deck for the aforementioned ability to
              sun and swim from, and a smaller but useful front deck. It has benches
              on both sides useable for storage/flotation which are 10 feet long and 2
              feet at their widest. It seems the frolic like hullform would be better
              in chop? With raised floorboards you could hold the highschool prom, or
              at least two tents. Versatile no?

              You mentioned later that you like AF2. The cuddy would be great to have,
              but seems it would seriously limit cockpit/deck/sprawling space. What
              about one of the open boat designs you are considering with a bimini?

              Gators over sharks? No way! I canoe down Myakka river within 5 feet of
              dozens of gators. Nary a peep from them. Something unsettling about
              swimming with the sharks though...
              --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, John Huft <t1ro2003@...> wrote:

              > Here's my situation. Between my bio kid and rental kids (foster) I
              have between none and five kids at a time, all under 12. I'm sailing a
              Toon2 and while its a fantastic boat, it can be a little tight with a
              bunch of kidlets. I want a daysailer and it doesn't have to have a
              cuddy cabin. If you had a choice, which Michalak boat would you build?
              > Thanks,
              > John Boy
              >

              > Happy sails to you, until we sail again
              > Happy sails to you, keep sailing until then...

            • daschultz2000
              Message 6 of 25 , Sep 6, 2011
                --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Robert" <footstepfollower@...> wrote:

                > I am looking for similarly large capacity. but also want to single
                > hand and camp cruise the south Florida Gulf coast....

                Laguna is designed with mast location so the boat can have a single rig. This makes it attractive to me as a learning tool. Build one boat, single handed sailing while gaining skills, more fun with a crew and more performance later. It also should occasionally save a day of sailing when the winds are a bit high for the full 2 masted rig.

                Don
              • Monies
                Message 7 of 25 , Sep 6, 2011
                  I honestly do not think Mike has sailed his Laguna Dos with a single mast up. I do know he has sailed it reefed down to minimal sails with both masts.

                  Will ask him about this and post later today. The three masts enable the Laguna to be sailed in many configerations and I think he has sailed his with foremast totally down, rear still up.

                  Jackie Monies

                  --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "daschultz2000" <daschultz8275@...> wrote:

                  > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Robert" <footstepfollower@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I am looking for similarly large capacity. but also want to single
                  > > hand and camp cruise the south Florida Gulf coast....
                  >
                  > Laguna is designed with mast location so the boat can have a single rig. This makes it attractive to me as a learning tool. Build one boat, single handed sailing while gaining skills, more fun with a crew and more performance later. It also should occasionally save a day of sailing when the winds are a bit high for the full 2 masted rig.
                  >

                  > Don

                • Monies
                  Message 8 of 25 , Sep 6, 2011
                    Mike says that Chuck Leinweber and Jim Michalak sailed Laguna Tres in the Texas 200 with the center mast position only. She sailed fine he says.

                    During this year's Texas 200 the two Geese blew out their sails Mike said and Gordo Barcomb loaned one of his Laguna Uno sails, St John loaned one of his Laguna Seis sails and everyone had one sail apiece, which they used in the aft mast position.

                    Mike said with just one sail reefed down on Laguna Seis, John Hargrove Wright sailed circles around him in Tx 200 in 2011.

                    Jackie Monies

                    --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Monies" <m_monies@...> wrote:

                    > I honestly do not think Mike has sailed his Laguna Dos with a single mast up. I do know he has sailed it reefed down to minimal sails with both masts.
                    >
                    > Will ask him about this and post later today. The three masts enable the Laguna to be sailed in many configerations and I think he has sailed his with foremast totally down, rear still up.
                    >
                    > Jackie Monies
                    >
                    > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "daschultz2000" <daschultz8275@> wrote:
                    > >

                    > > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Robert" <footstepfollower@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > I am looking for similarly large capacity. but also want to single
                    > > > hand and camp cruise the south Florida Gulf coast....
                    > >
                    > > Laguna is designed with mast location so the boat can have a single rig. This makes it attractive to me as a learning tool. Build one boat, single handed sailing while gaining skills, more fun with a crew and more performance later. It also should occasionally save a day of sailing when the winds are a bit high for the full 2 masted rig.
                    > >

                    > > Don

                  • Robert
                    Message 9 of 25 , Sep 7, 2011
                      Don't think anyone has. I would definitely omit the outboard slot, and add a mizzen. I'm torn between the utter simplicity of Laguna and the versatility of the toto/frolic2 hullshape in the 20x5 size of the Dani Jay. Precious little written about it. I know vwey little about the way beam to length ratios affect speed and handling, but caprice/cormorant/frolic2 seem to perform well for owners of those boats. Don't hear them crying FAST like Laguna owners do, or 4" draft, etc.

                      I may have to purchase Dani Jay plans and make cardstock mockups... then decide whether speed and ultra shoal draft might win out over the rough water capability and possibly easier singlehanding ability of the Dani Jay...

                      Message 10 of 25 , Sep 7, 2011
                        Heard this morning that 30,000 plus acres and 600+ homes have been claimed. How have you made out??? Prayers go out to you and everyone affected...

                        Message 11 of 25 , Sep 7, 2011
                          Not sure JohnHWright, JIB, StJohn is monitoring forums. He had to evacuate with wife, dogs and his cats. They are in Austin, safe, but he left the boats and house. The street he lives on has burned, a few houses were spared but he is afraid his was not. He has probably lost house, shop, tools, boats.

                          Last contact I had from John was not too hopeful, but we can wish for a miracle. Chuck Leinweber of Duckworks had a daughter in Bastrop, TX whose home burned also. She and family are safe.
                          Last statistics on fire was 700 homes in Bastrop, four victims dead, about 40 miles wide and as long.

                          This is a horrible tragedy, the town was about 6000 people, lovely historic town.

                          Jackie Monies

                          Message 12 of 25 , Sep 8, 2011
                            Thanks for the update Jackie. Glad his clan all made it away safely. What a tragedy for so many though. My heart and prayers go out to them...