Re: [Michalak] Small curiosity

  • John Kohnen
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 1, 2011
      Do you mean the little rounded "ear" with a hole in it for the lanyards,
      that sits (or sat <g>) on top of the lever at the top of the leeboard, or
      do you mean that lever itself? A photo giving the Big Picture might help
      us get an idea of what to do. I added that little rounded ear to give
      better leverage for the hold-down lanyard when the board is all the way
      down. I think I stuck a piece of brass all-thread in an epoxy filled
      oversize hole to help hold it on. But I don't recognize anything in the
      pictures, and I don't think there was any plywood where I stuck the ear
      on...

      Whatever part it was, it should be repaired strong enough so it'll survive
      at least a few injudicious kicks. ;o) A bit of all-thread in a slightly
      oversize hole full of epoxy is good reinforcement. Fiberglass wrapped
      around the joint is maybe even better. Metal plates or straps really won't
      work as well as fiberglass and epoxy, since they depend on fasteners
      (boatbuilding epoxy doesn't do a very good job of sticking metal to wood).

      On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 17:04:22 -0700, Mark A wrote:

      > Please don't ask how, but I managed to get my leeboard jammed in the
      > down position yesterday. With ill-considered haste I proceeded to
      > give a couple of kicks to free it up. Alas, the little ear came
      > flying off. The curios part is that, surprising as it may be, it
      > looks to me like it may have been only glued on on the first place
      > with thin outer laminations extending over it, rather than the board
      > trimmed to leave it proud.
      >
      > See how cleanly it broke? The ear itself shows a thick spread of epoxy.

      John (jkohnen@...)
      His heart was bound in oak and triple brass who first committed
      a fragile bark to the raging sea... (Horace)
    • Mark Albanese
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 1, 2011
        John,

        Yes, the ear with the hole for the lanyards. I didn't find the piece
        of all-thread, though that might be the way to fix it. Thinking about
        screws, I worried about the poor holding in plywood edges. The lever
        itself is plywood. Filling a hole drilled down from the top with
        epoxy and metal should do. The ear fits back in quite firmly.

        Another pic here.

        I won't kick it again until I get another bit of the loose uphaul
        wedged in between the board and the slot with truly amazing force. <g>

        Thanks to all who helped here.
        Mark

        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 1, 2011
          OK, I see it now... That's the lever itself that broke. My little "ear"
          with the all-thread reinforcement survived your kick just fine, but the
          plywood lever broke. I'll bet the the lever and board laminations were cut
          as one piece, that's the only reason I can think of to use plywood there.

          Grind the paint off both sides of the top of the leeboard for 4" or so
          from the break, and grind it off the full length of the lever. Glue the
          lever back into the break, then put a layer or two of fiberglass on each
          side. That should do it. A length of all-thread in the middle off
          everything wouldn't hurt. Belt and braces. <g>

          On Thu, 01 Sep 2011 11:03:41 -0700, Mark Awrote:

          > John,
          >
          > Yes, the ear with the hole for the lanyards. I didn't find the piece
          > of all-thread, though that might be the way to fix it. Thinking about
          > screws, I worried about the poor holding in plywood edges. The lever
          > itself is plywood. Filling a hole drilled down from the top with
          > epoxy and metal should do. The ear fits back in quite firmly.
          >
          > Another pic here.
          >
          > I won't kick it again until I get another bit of the loose uphaul
          > wedged in between the board and the slot with truly amazing force. <g>

          --
          John (jkohnen@...)
          Nobody ought to wear a Greek fisherman's hat unless they meet
          two conditions: 1. He is a Greek; 2. He is a Fisherman (Roy
          Blount Jr.)