Re: [Michalak] Epoxy over Polyester?

  • Carl
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 31, 2011
      If your going to build your boat out of fiberglass it might work but if wood, poly's not a good adhesive.
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 1 2:54 AM
        if the concern is for hardness-toughness abrasion resistance.. get some graphite powder to mix into one part of the epoxy resin thoroughly before mixing in the other part to harden?
        it'd do a bottom good, possibly better if covered in epoxy and light cloth first, then another layer cloth with the epoxy+graphite mix. the lighter cloth like 6oz isnt all that spendy and comes in like 52-54" width sure is convenient for a 48" wide bottom to overlap up the sides a couple inches.. same for sides overlapping onto the bottom so the chines get double layered over, so if going 2 layers bottom its now 3 at the chines, 4 if the seams are taped first is getting into being darn near bulletproof. after 1/2 sanding and dust cleaning, the last smoothing coats being epoxy with the graphite in it too, to cover-fill any cloth texture before sanding primering sanding and painting.. much as I dislike sanding I do an awful lot of it.. but its nice when its time for washing-waxing etc.

        I've worked polyester and epoxy both, with a preference for the epoxy for it being thinner and runnier. I think it goes further and saturates the cloth better, so it really doesnt come up being more expensive is my opinion, when it comes to covering the sq footage.
        it might be just my opinion again, I'd rather go 2 layers in lighter cloth than one layer of thicker stuff, kinda thinking more control, more laminations, maybe higher thread count too.
        thats how I'd go at it, if wanting to make a wood hull much tougher.

        fiberglasssite.com is pretty reasonable on supplies, cloth and fresh resins as well as the powdered graphite stuff.

        If your going to build your boat out of fiberglass it might work but if wood, poly's not a good adhesive.
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 1 2:58 AM
          When deciding whether to purchase polyester or epoxy for my first build
          (just starting) I found out that the price did not have to be that much
          different for epoxy. I was unable to find $20 polyester locally. It was
          $35 or more. I found this site and the 1 1/2 gallon epoxy kit (slow)
          worked out to $48 a gallon in the gallon and a half kit for the slow
          hardner and less for medium or fast. I got the slow and it is a dream to
          work with in 95 degree Florida weather. Anywhere else, get medium or
          fast!

          http://www.uscomposites.com/epoxy.html

          --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" <billwrin@...> wrote:

          > This is my 16 year old son's idea:
          >
          > I was discussing the pros and cons of both polyester and epoxy resins
          with him.
          > He says "Why don't you just build your boat with polyester then coat
          the whole
          > thing with epoxy?".
          >
          > What say you?

        • Andres Espino
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 1 3:50 AM
            I like epoxy for a building project.

            HOWEVER if you have bought a vintagebefopre the 80's  'plastic classic' to make into your microcruiser.. it was probably built using polyester resin, so in that case polyester is okay to use to patch it.

            I admit that i use far more epoxy than polyester anymore.

            Andrew

            ________________________________
            When deciding whether to purchase polyester or epoxy for my first build
            (just starting) I found out that the price did not have to be that much
            different for epoxy. I was unable to find $20 polyester locally. It was
            $35 or more. I found this site and the 1 1/2 gallon epoxy kit (slow)
            worked out to $48 a gallon in the gallon and a half kit for the slow
            hardner and less for medium or fast. I got the slow and it is a dream to
            work with in 95 degree Florida weather. Anywhere else, get medium or
            fast!

            http://www.uscomposites.com/epoxy.html
            <http://www.uscomposites.com/epoxy.html>

            --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" <billwrin@...> wrote:

            > This is my 16 year old son's idea:
            >
            > I was discussing the pros and cons of both polyester and epoxy resins
            with him.
            > He says "Why don't you just build your boat with polyester then coat
            the whole
            > thing with epoxy?".
            >
            > What say you?

          • Chris
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 1 5:14 AM
              The cost difference between polyester resin and epoxy is not that great. For example

              US Composites pricing
              Epoxy 7.5 gallon kit cost $303.00
              7.5 gallons of polyester resin at $30.00 would cost $225.00

              That's just a $75.00 difference on a fairly large project. This much epoxy would be enough to build a fairly large boat.