Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: Modified Vole

Expand Messages
  • AJ
    Thank you all for your kind words and encouragement. Some photos of the launch party are up in the Modified vole album here:
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 15, 2011
    • 0 Attachment
      Thank you all for your kind words and encouragement. Some photos of the launch party are up in the "Modified vole" album here:

      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Michalak/photos/album/673820309/pic/list?mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=21&count=20&dir=asc

      If anyone is interested in any specific photos, I would be happy to take them.
      AJ


      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "AJ" <andrew.j.lea@...> wrote:
      >
      > We launched my Vole "Sparrow" yesterday. It sails better than it rows or motors. It feels like it just slowly plows under motor, but Jim never intended to put one on it, and you can see the rocker would prevent particularly fast motoring, so that is to be expected. Under oars it didn't track as well as I would have liked, but I have some work to do, I could row very well because the oars hit the gunwales before they touch the water, so my lock was coming up an inch in the sockets with every stroke. Made a terrible racket and was difficult to move the oars. Luckily I realized what was happening before I destroyed the gunwale edges. I'll have to put the sockets on some riser blocks, which I would prefer anyway so that the oar handles can clear my long legs on the back stroke.
      > As for sailing though (!!) with only about 3 MPH of wind, the sail could fill and move her along very nicely, even to windward. There is supposed to be 8knot winds on the lake today, so I'm going to find out how she can move in actual sailing conditions. When I get back to FL I want to see if I can hike out in 15-20 knots of wind and get her surfing... I doubt the bottom rocker will allow it, but it is worth a try. I built a tiller extension just in case... ;)
      >
      > As for the interior: it is a great shape, and extremely useful and comfortable. If I had to do it again, I may raise the aft seats up a bit to better follow the gunwale instead of the waterline, and maybe taper them inward with the sides, both would provide them with more internal volume as well. My original intent with the parallel seat edges was to have a movable cross thwart between the two aft side seats, but that proved unnecessary. The major problem I noticed though was that I am going to have to drill drain holes in quite a few spots as I just created a boat with an interior that can not be poured out. No mater which direction you turn the boat (even upside down) there is a cistern built in somewhere just waiting to catch at least a pint of water. I couldn't empty the boat afterwards. I ended up standing it straight up on the transom and using a towel to absorb the water sitting in the pockets between the transom reinforcements... Whoops. Lots of hole-drilling in the next couple of days. Glad I identified all the problems before it rotted away on the deck of the big boat though.
      >
      > Pictures coming soon, as well as more pics and updates of the fixes... nothing is perfect on the first try.
      > AJ
      >
      >
      >
      >
      > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "AJ" <andrew.j.lea@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I just wanted everyone to know that I just joined the group and uploaded pictures of my modified Vole, named Sparrow to the group pics page here:
      > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Michalak/photos/album/673820309/pic/list
      > >
      > > It was built at my parent's house and childhood home with my wife Sarah and my father, Phillip Lea, who will hopefully be joint re-launching in his highly modified Toon-2 after some mast partner repairs when I launch this weekend. It will be a yacht tender for our floating home, a 1969 36 foot Cheoy Lee Luders 36, so we made some modifications to suit our needs.
      > > First, the 16 foot mast on the 55 square foot sprit-boomed leg-o-mutton as Vole was designed is unwieldy on deck, so I substituted Slam Dink's 50 square foot sprit rig. The spars are solid southern yellow pine, and are finished slightly under dimensions to either the Vole or the Slam Dink plans.
      > > The hull and interior boxes are built of 5.5mm Superply XL exterior underlayment, and we chose to fiberglass the entire exterior ending under the gunwales in hopes of extending the life of a dinghy that will spend a good potion of its life in the water and being lifted (and undoubtedly bashed around) on and off deck in slings. The seat tops are 1/4" a/c southern yellow pine exterior plywood for stiffness.
      > >
      > > All the framing is done with southern yellow pine, and the mast step, mast partner, the aft knees, and the skeg are red oak. I found that the red oak vented air and caused bubbles in the epoxy and ended up needing a sanding and a second coat to fill all the pores.
      > > Also, at dinghy docks, inflatables are the norm, and other yachties aren't keen on seeing external leeboard hardware grinding against their silly rubber ballons, so I put in a daggerboard case instead of the leeboard as drawn.
      > >
      > > I wanted it to have positive flotation and dry storage, so I put in a large up-swept box forward for a rowing seat and two enclosed box seats aft for sailing or motoring. There is also a center thwart that supports the daggerboard case and connects the three boxes.
      > >
      > > Hope you like it!
      > > More pics after it is finished and assembled and launched this weekend.
      > > Andrew Lea
      > >
      >
    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.