Re: [Michalak] Help with rivets?

  • john colley
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 1, 2011
      I have bought "POP" Rivets in all sizes and thicknesses.My only concern is electrolytic reaction with the two common rivet metals,,,steel and alluminium with salt water

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 1, 2011
        I would recommend the stainless steel pop rivets available from West Marine and From Jamestown Distributors and probably most other chandlers.  My local ACE said they could order them but I would have to buy a case LOL  I can order boxes of 100 from jamestown and tacked it onto my last order.  My steel masthead is pop riveted to the hollow mast.
        http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/search.do?freeText=pop%20rivets&resultPref=all&page=GRID&history=

        Andrew

        ________________________________

      • jhargrovewright2@juno.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 1, 2011
          I am suggesting that rivets are a better fix than pop rivets. Of course, in an aluminum boat use aluminum rivets. Alum works well even in salt water..... Some allclad alum was used in the 50's that did not hold up well at all.

          From: KEN <rekkamurd@...>
          To: Michalak@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2011 14:51:54 -0700 (PDT)

        • John and Kathy Trussell
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 1, 2011
            Pop rivets have a hole in the center and are not suitable for hull
            assembly/repair work. I built a couple of masts when I was racing Windmills
            (a long time ago) and attached the hardware to the aluminum masts with
            stainless steel pop rivets. The class did not report any failures due to
            corrosion or electrolysis between the stainless steel rivets (and hardware)
            and the aluminum masts.

            Note that stainless steel pop rivets require significantly more effort to
            install than aluminum pop rivets. If you are messing with stainless steel, a
            bigger rivet gun (or riveter) will be helpful!

            JohnT

            _____

            <mailto:ima_very_cool_cowboy%40yahoo.com> >
            To: "Michalak@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Michalak%40yahoogroups.com> "
            <Michalak@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Michalak%40yahoogroups.com> >
            Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2011 23:36:57 -0700 (PDT)

            jhargrovewright2@... <mailto:jhargrovewright2%40juno.com> "

            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 1, 2011
              you could ask around your local airport, most airplane mechanics have rivet guns and bucking bars, and for a few bucks, or whatever, you might be able to convince them to do the riveting, just don't use the rivets they have in the shop, the alloys used in aircraft hate water and salt, if they have any spare zinc chromate primer to put on the rivet before it is shot, that would be even better, (the stuff in a spray bomb is junk but beats nothing) if you were in central NH I could set you up.