Piccup

  • thatmoffitt
    Message 1 of 8 , May 20, 2011
      Hi
      Bottom of the piccup just finished. in the home stretch now. the sails are almost done too but I havent taken any pictures of them yet. (I am building a small mizzen like on my brothers piccup squared. here is a picture of seans boat. http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/09/gatherings/obx2/index.htm)

      here are my pictures
      https://picasaweb.google.com/thatmoffitt/Piccup?authkey=Gv1sRgCP-xteqe1bax3AE#

      Paul Moffitt
      Message 2 of 8 , May 20, 2011
        Hey Paul,

        Thanks for the updates, article link and photos. It will be interesting
        to see how the two versions of Piccup compare. You may have an unfair
        advantage with the "shark skin" finish on the bottom. There is one
        theory says that makes a boat faster as it breaks up the surface tension
        between the hull and the water and lowers resistance.

        Are you making the main the same as Sean's? And how big is the mizzen?
        I was just thinking yesterday about the advantages of a mizzen on even a
        small boat. Besides making it easier to reef I think you can tweak it to
        adjust balance, which decreases the amount of rudder adjustment needed
        to stay the course and results in a faster boat. I notice Sean also
        adjusts the balance by shifting his weight forward or aft.

        Piccup Squared was the first plan I ever bought. Saw them in a small ad
        in WB mag. $12 at the time. Never built one as I thought "Too plain -
        too simple - probably not that good." But little did I know...

        6.4 knots in slightly streamlined box is pretty darned impressive!

        Nels

      • jhargrovewright2@juno.com
        Message 3 of 8 , May 20, 2011
          We have a number of good small sail boat designers....but....none that has so many simple to build and high performing boats. I have a Laguna that is just sweet, fast, simple to build and super fast. I did not recognize or understand Jim's designs for what they are....truly beautiful in design and function...and faster than one can understand. I did not appreciate the elegance of the clunky looking leeboard that is typical of his boats.....until I built it....and used it. Beauty "is" in the eye (brain) of the beholder. I have copied his rudder several times because that was what Shorty Routh put it on his "loaner" PDR plan and I learned to love t. Chuck Lineweber is responsible for my enlightenment. I have seen the light....I believe.... JIB

        • thatmoffitt
          Message 4 of 8 , May 20, 2011
            Hi Nels

            I agree it will be interesting. Mainly when the water is really smooth. any kind of chop and I anticipate that i will have the advantage. The sharkstooth bottom is I guess technically a mistake now some of that will be gone do to a few more layers of paint. I guess I should have smoothed it out with some slightly thickened epoxy. But I went with the theory that a golf ball goes fast and farther with the dimples and the myth busters once made a care with dimples and it got better gas mileage with the dimples. So I Figure it can not hurt. I am making the main the same. two reefs at the same height as his reefs. Sean camped once or twice while anchored and the mizzen helps with that too. It is mainly for reefing but he also found it useful for balancing the helm.
            The Roonio Catamaran, serendipity, (articles can be found on DWM) which I Built features Jims rudder's and I too believe that his boats are beautiful. And now that I have seen the Martha Jane designed by bolger my entire concept of a great boat has been re invented since I was a teen. My boats keep getting more practical and smaller. I doubt I will ever own a boat over 16 feet.
            thanks
            Paul

            > Hey Paul,
            >
            > Thanks for the updates, article link and photos. It will be interesting
            > to see how the two versions of Piccup compare. You may have an unfair
            > advantage with the "shark skin" finish on the bottom. There is one
            > theory says that makes a boat faster as it breaks up the surface tension
            > between the hull and the water and lowers resistance.
            >
            > Are you making the main the same as Sean's? And how big is the mizzen?
            > I was just thinking yesterday about the advantages of a mizzen on even a
            > small boat. Besides making it easier to reef I think you can tweak it to
            > adjust balance, which decreases the amount of rudder adjustment needed
            > to stay the course and results in a faster boat. I notice Sean also
            > adjusts the balance by shifting his weight forward or aft.
            >
            > Piccup Squared was the first plan I ever bought. Saw them in a small ad
            > in WB mag. $12 at the time. Never built one as I thought "Too plain -
            > too simple - probably not that good." But little did I know...
            >
            > 6.4 knots in slightly streamlined box is pretty darned impressive!
            >
            > Nels
            >

            > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "thatmoffitt" <thatmoffitt@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi
            > > Bottom of the piccup just finished. in the home stretch now. the
            > sails are almost done too but I havent taken any pictures of them yet.
            > (I am building a small mizzen like on my brothers piccup squared. here
            > is a picture of seans boat.
            > http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/09/gatherings/obx2/index.htm)
            > >
            > > here are my pictures
            > >
            > https://picasaweb.google.com/thatmoffitt/Piccup?authkey=Gv1sRgCP-xteqe1b\
            > ax3AE#
            > >
            > > Paul Moffitt

          • scr243
            Message 5 of 8 , May 23, 2011
              It is surprising how well Michalak designs sail and handle since they are so unconventional in looks and features. Definitely a case of form following function. The Piccup Pram should handle rough weather better than the Piccup Squared but they both have the limitation of getting spray inside when sailing into a chop. This at times requires a little bailing while sailing, no big deal. Glad to see you are going with two reefs, I only have one and that is too much a limitation.

              Stan

> [...]
              > > adjust balance, which decreases the amount of rudder adjustment needed
              > > to stay the course and results in a faster boat. I notice Sean also
              > > adjusts the balance by shifting his weight forward or aft.
              > >
              > > Piccup Squared was the first plan I ever bought. Saw them in a small ad
              > > in WB mag. $12 at the time. Never built one as I thought "Too plain -
              > > too simple - probably not that good." But little did I know...
              > >
              > > 6.4 knots in slightly streamlined box is pretty darned impressive!
              > >
              > > Nels
              > >

              > > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "thatmoffitt" <thatmoffitt@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Hi
              > > > Bottom of the piccup just finished. in the home stretch now. the
              > > sails are almost done too but I havent taken any pictures of them yet.
              > > (I am building a small mizzen like on my brothers piccup squared. here

            • Andre
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 10, 2013
                Scott,

                I'm trying not to paint the walls too. But my working tshirt is hard of resin and green. Hehehehehe.

                Thank you for the words. I'll show your message to my wife hoping to get a bigger place next time.

                Andre.

                souderscott997@... escreveu:

                Andre, I think you should get some sort of an award for the tightest build area. It looks almost like a hallway you built that boat in. The boat looks very nice. I'm feeling like a spoiled brat with all the griping I did building in my garage now. I will never show your pictures to my wife! I'd be kicked out of the garage for sure:)

                ---In michalak@yahoogroups.com, <basso.asb@...> wrote:

                Hi All,

                Blog updated.

                Andre
                Sao Paulo - Brasil

                http://umveleirosimples.blogspot.com.br
              • souderscott997

                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 10, 2013
                    Great looking boat,great pics too.EVEN the spider!

                    -Sigurd Olson