Re: Vietnam outboard

  • Dean
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 6, 2011
      What you are asking about is called a GoDevil and is made and sold here in Louisianna also. You should be able to find them on the web under that name.

      Dean

      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Malcolm" <lifewithbob101@...> wrote:

      > Does anyone have any info/resources for one of those outboards with the engine mounted on a long swiveling shaft? I'm not having much luck finding a used cheap outboard, but then I live in the middle of the NM desert.

    • KEN
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 6, 2011
        yep, yahoo-google search longtails, popular in thailand.. couple company's make em in the US outta briggs engines too, maybe spendier. if youre wanting to go small, the biggest of weedeaters (35cc+) can take a prop..  http://youngprops.com/
        and scoot something smallish around pretty darn good.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kItZqxFVLTU&feature=player_embedded#at=66
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xM6bBX4XZcc&feature=player_embedded
        -pretty scootin for tinkering with some common stuff.

        other searches 'mud hog'  'gator tail' .. you'll stumble into more info fer sher.

        in southeast asia they are called longtail boats because of the shaft and they generally use 6 or 8 cylinder car engines.  The engine is mounted on a sea-saw pivot so the operatro can push down on the engine to raise the shaft and prop.  The exposed shafts are prone to hit rocks and things on river bottoms and knock the shaft out of true then they have to be straightened or replaced.  There is an american company who makes smaller similar types for swamp boats.. I will look for the link.. someone sent it to me a long time back.

        Andrew

        Does anyone have any info/resources for one of those outboards with the engine mounted on a long swiveling shaft? I'm not having much luck finding a used cheap outboard, but then I live in the middle of the NM desert.

      • Andres Espino
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 6, 2011
          YES THAT'S THE ONE!

          Thanks i hadn't found it yet.  You wouldn't believe the number of stuff and links I save  LOL

          Andrew

          On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 5:36 PM, Andres Espino <
          ima_very_cool_cowboy@...> wrote:

          > in southeast asia they are called longtail boats because of the shaft and
          > they generally use 6 or 8 cylinder car engines.  The engine is mounted on a
          > sea-saw pivot so the operatro can push down on the engine to raise the shaft
          > and prop.  The exposed shafts are prone to hit rocks and things on river
          > bottoms and knock the shaft out of true then they have to be straightened or
          > replaced.  There is an american company who makes smaller similar types for
          > swamp boats.. I will look for the link.. someone sent it to me a long time
          > back.
          >
          > Andrew

        • stephen pepper
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 7, 2011