Cat Box build started

  • Dean Herring
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 3, 2011
      got the build started - very simple plans - going to go fast. 10 hours in and I've got the rudder, cheeks, tiller, dagger board, and sides cut out.

      going to use the spars and sail from another boat - a 65 sqft sprit sail

      Dean
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 3, 2011
        Dean,

        Thanks for sharing some photos. That daggerboard looks pretty big when
        viewed in "real" life size. When raised all the way it might potentially
        interfere with the boom of the lateen sail by the looks of it. Does your
        sprit sail have enough clearance do you think? Or is it boomless?

        Nels

        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Dean Herring" <dfharing@...> wrote:

        > got the build started - very simple plans - going to go fast. 10 hours
        in and I've got the rudder, cheeks, tiller, dagger board, and sides cut
        out.

        > going to use the spars and sail from another boat - a 65 sqft sprit
        sail

        > Dean

      • Dean Herring
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 3, 2011
          Nels - got to look at that - sprit sail has a boom - when raised all the way one will be going down wind so no interference. I plan to use the same foils and daggerboard on a PDGoose and a SF Hobo as well - I made the rudder 40 inches long - - 10 inches more than the plan for the Cat Box but the length that the Hobo calls out for. I had a 39 incher on the Dave Gray Z-Duck and it turned on a dime - If it's too long I can always shorten it. Yeah a 4 foot dagger board is quite a sight on a small boat! Dean

          > Dean,
          >
          > Thanks for sharing some photos. That daggerboard looks pretty big when
          > viewed in "real" life size. When raised all the way it might potentially
          > interfere with the boom of the lateen sail by the looks of it. Does your
          > sprit sail have enough clearance do you think? Or is it boomless?
          >
          > Nels
          >

          > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Dean Herring" <dfharing@> wrote:
          > >
          > > got the build started - very simple plans - going to go fast. 10 hours
          > in and I've got the rudder, cheeks, tiller, dagger board, and sides cut
          > out.
          > >
          > > going to use the spars and sail from another boat - a 65 sqft sprit
          > sail
          > >
          > > Dean

        • John Huft
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 3, 2011
            Dean are you going to build the 12 ft or 14 ft version of the Hobo?
            John Boy
            If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble,
            you wouldn't sit for a month.
            Theodore Roosevelt

            ________________________________
            Nels - got to look at that - sprit sail has a boom - when raised all the way one
            will be going down wind so no interference. I plan to use the same foils and
            daggerboard on a PDGoose and a SF Hobo as well - I made the rudder 40 inches
            long - - 10 inches more than the plan for the Cat Box but the length that the
            Hobo calls out for. I had a 39 incher on the Dave Gray Z-Duck and it turned on a
            dime - If it's too long I can always shorten it. Yeah a 4 foot dagger board is
            quite a sight on a small boat! Dean

            > Dean,
            >
            > Thanks for sharing some photos. That daggerboard looks pretty big when
            > viewed in "real" life size. When raised all the way it might potentially
            > interfere with the boom of the lateen sail by the looks of it. Does your
            > sprit sail have enough clearance do you think? Or is it boomless?
            >
            > Nels
            >

            > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Dean Herring" <dfharing@> wrote:
            > >
            > > got the build started - very simple plans - going to go fast. 10 hours
            > in and I've got the rudder, cheeks, tiller, dagger board, and sides cut
            > out.
            > >
            > > going to use the spars and sail from another boat - a 65 sqft sprit
            > sail
            > >
            > > Dean

          • Dean Herring
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 4, 2011
              hey john - i'm going to build the 14 foot version with a 100 sqft high aspect balanced lug by poly sail - Dave Gray already sent me the sail - going to use this sail on a PDGose as well and i'm going to give the cat box two sail positions one for the 65 sprit and one for the 100 sqft monster for light winds. Sprit sail is 33 inches from leech to COE, lug is around 27 inches (looks like original plans Lateen has COE same as my sprit sail). I've got the COE of the sails lined up 9 inches aft of leading edge of the foot wide dagger board. Cat Box should be be ready for 3D this weekend - stay tuned... Dean

              --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, John Huft <t1ro2003@...> wrote:

              > Dean are you going to build the 12 ft or 14 ft version of the Hobo?
              > John Boy
              > If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble,
              > you wouldn't sit for a month.
              > Theodore Roosevelt
              >

              > ________________________________

            • John Huft

                hey john - i'm going to build the 14 foot version with a 100 sqft high aspect
                balanced lug by poly sail - Dave Gray already sent me the sail - going to use
                this sail on a PDGose as well and i'm going to give the cat box two sail
                positions one for the 65 sprit and one for the 100 sqft monster for light winds.
                Sprit sail is 33 inches from leech to COE, lug is around 27 inches (looks like
                original plans Lateen has COE same as my sprit sail). I've got the COE of the
                sails lined up 9 inches aft of leading edge of the foot wide dagger board. Cat
                Box should be be ready for 3D this weekend - stay tuned... Dean

                --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, John Huft <t1ro2003@...> wrote:

                > Dean are you going to build the 12 ft or 14 ft version of the Hobo?
                > John Boy
                > If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your
                >trouble,
                >
                > you wouldn't sit for a month.
                > Theodore Roosevelt
                >

                > ________________________________

              • Andres Espino
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 4, 2011
                  Has anyone built any of JM's boats around 20ft  that have the mizzen mast?  Can someone tell me whether the mast is sold or hollow and what the dimensions are?  i am considering whether to add a mizzen to my boat to improve weather helm.

                  An drew

                • John and Kathy Trussell
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 4, 2011
                    I have a Toon 19; mizzen mast is solid.

                    JohnT

                    _____

                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 4, 2011
                      Hi  Andrew
                        Am starting build on JM's Jukebox3 [ 18'8"]
                        My # key sheet  list some info for Ketchhhooner rig.
                      " KE Mast same for both main and mizzen. Solid from two lamination's of 1 1/2".           square-cross section with 1/4 " radius corners.
                        this for 2  lug sails bot my plan's only included info for single lug sail.
                      You might try JM  direct.
                       Eugene
                      Port of Catoosa

                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 4, 2011
                          Okay cool so it is not a trimmed down 4x4 then...  I really like Musicbox but there is no mizzen...

                          I am considering adding a mizzen to my plastic classic because it does wonders making the long micro self steer with little correction.  See this cool video...
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD5BKu9634Y

                          I think JM's boats are very Bolger-like.

                          Message 12 of 12 , May 8, 2011
                            say - i didn't realize that i had not been updating the pic's here - I put the last pic's up for now and will fill in the rest.

                            Have been posting the pic's on the PDRacer Yahoo group - the whole set is there.

                            sprit sail looks like it belongs on the Cat Box - original plan is for a Lateen.

                            DEan