Re: Fwd: [bolger] Dry Bilges

    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 30, 2011
      Bill,

      Great suggestion about building a model first. Especially with Michalak
      and Bolger designs as they often share characteristics that seem odd at
      first and even counter-intuitive but in use are very practical.

      I don't have Picara plans but looking at Dave's photos of "Mattie
      Cooper" it looks like there are a lot of water drains (scuppers) along
      the topsides. Two in the forward well and two in the stern that also
      serve as hawes pipes for anchor lines and three scuppers each side
      along the aft deck. The deck scuppers explain why there is the slot
      under the backrests so that water goes out through the scuppers. I don't
      quite like that set-up as leaves and other crap can accumulate under
      there so one has to keep an eye on that.

      I would spend a lot of time building watertight slot and companionway
      covers so little if any water gets inside the sleeping space and then
      gets mopped up as soon as noticed. Dave seems to have hard slot covers
      on his build or maybe has closed the slot and has sliding hatches and
      drop boards instead. Hard to tell. Would be a great idea to contact him.

      Another factor is ventilation, especially in a wooden boat. You need
      flow-through ventilation that allows air movment yet keeps out water.
      The Wiley-type port is what Bolger uses. There is a folder in files with
      one way to make them but they can be simplified.

      %20Hatch/

      The other thing is never trust a poly tarp to last for long as a boat
      cover! Don't ask how I learned that lesson. THe best solution for a
      wooden hull is canvas that breathes and a proper frame under that does
      not allow water to stand on it.

      Picara in my view is one of Jim's best efforts so taking the extra time
      to do it right will result in a boat that will last a very long time and
      handle some big weather with ease.

      Nels