Re: Olive Oyl

  • tsgosnell
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 5 11:04 AM
      I like it, Jessica R, purple hull, Now thats an boat that will attract alot of attention!
      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "traidna" <traidna@...> wrote:

      > LOL
      >
      > sweet, I've had in my mind to name my Spartan, white hull, green trim,as I went to Michigan State, and most of the build has been going on during the great football season they have had, that said my daughter has been after me to go more pastel purple, and that could lead to a name like Jessica R. in character of the Toon2 name( R for Rabbit, Raidna.... )
      >
      > hmmm
      >
      > Tom Raidna
      > buildboats.com
      >
      > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "tsgosnell" <tsgosnell@> wrote:
      > >

      > > Tom,
      > >
      > > Yes it came after watching "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" and it was the
      > > second drawing from the original numbers, thus toon 2.
      > >
      > > So, keeping with the theme, I am naming my toon2 "Looney Toon" I
      > > thought of the bridge deck after seeing the twister here, but I am past
      > > that point now. The AF3 lug it is for me, with a 15sqft mizzen off of
      > > Wooboto. I would like an oliveoyl in the future, and why not, I will
      > > already have the sail. I will get you a build update later in the week.
      > >
      > > Scott
      > > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <buildboats@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Scott,
      > > >
      > > > did you get an answer on the toon2 name? I had once asked Jim about
      > > the Toto name I didn't get a response (which is unusual perhaps I went
      > > to spam)
      > > >
      > > > I am seriously considering the bridge deck for my Toon2, to allow
      > > stretch out room in the cabin, and the balanced lug rig as well, so I
      > > might get a set of plane of olive oyl.
      > > >
      > > > Tom
      > > > buildboats.com

      > > inspiration, I wrote and asked Jim how he came up with the design name.
      > > I wonder if the lady who comissioned the design was named Olive?

      > > are not. OliveOyl falls in the latter.http://jimsboats.com/#OliveOylJIB

    • gretchen.graner
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 6 6:57 AM
        Hi, folks-- Why Olive Oyl? Well, okay, when Jim wanted to name the design after me, as he often does for custom boats, I just couldn't get used to the idea. I wanted it to be a fun kind of toy-looking boat, and I figured the design should have a woman's name. Thinking back to my happy childhood days of watching Popeye cartoons, the perfect name seemed to be Olive Oyl. So there you have it! A long way from Roger Rabbit, huh? :-)

        BTW, I have also decided on a royal purple hull--I've never seen one, and I like purple! The only other boat I've built (with much help) was a Tortoise, so OliveOyl will be a leap. Plus my husband The Real Carpenter has decided to replace and reduce size of half the windows in our house next summer, so that will take precedence over building my boat... I'm glad other people like the design as I do! --GigiG in VT

      • jhargrovewright2@juno.com
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 6 7:41 AM
          Thank you Gretchen Graner. Each time I look at Jim's plans I would again wonder why the name Olive Oyl? I also admire your penchant for light hearted whimsy GigiG in VT. May all enjoy the boat...as the name.JIB

          > > > none;"> </span></p> <!--~-|**|PrettyHtmlStartT|**|-~--><div
          > > > id="ygrp-mlmsg" style="position: relative;"><div id="ygrp-msg"
          > > > style="z-index: 1;"><!--~-|**|PrettyHtmlEndT|**|-~--><div
          > > > id="ygrp-text"><p>Just checked out the new design from Jim, OliveOyl.
          > > > Looks like a combination of things that have been mentioned and tried
          > > > here. I like the new design, curious to see how she sails with the extra
          > > > width. Anyone have any
          > > > iv style="color: #fff; height:
          > > > 0;"></div><!--~-|**|PrettyHtmlEnd|**|-~--><!--~-|**|PrettyHtmlStart|**|-\\
          > > > ~--><!--~-|**|PrettyHtmlEnd|**|-~--><!-- end group email --></html>

        • Tom
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 6 9:32 AM
            to heck with the windows I say, then again Winter in VT, one would want good windows to keep the cold out.....

            Definitely looks like a good overnighter design, should be a blast once completed.

            Enjoy

            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 28 7:07 AM
              I want to clarify Olive Oyl's dimensions. She's described with a 6' beam, but that is on deck. The bottom is actually 5', so her waterline is not as fat as you'd think. In fact I thought Jim had drawn AF3's bottom in the layout by mistake! I should have known he is light years ahead of me with the numbers thing... (sheepish grimace). Bottom line: maybe she won't be too much of a water slug! Just so she doesn't make me spill me wine...

              I got my sail supplies today, and hope to use President's Day weekend to disrupt the house with sailmaking! Wish me luck-- Gigi

              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 28 8:44 AM
                What sail material are you using? I am going to be making the same sail in a few weeks for my toon 2. Keep us posted with the results.
                Scott

                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 28 11:10 AM
                  I decided for all the work I might as well make it last and use sailcloth. I got 4 oz Dacron from Duckworks, along with thread and seam tape. I've onle made one tiny sail out of a dropcloth, so broadseaming will be an adventure!

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 28 4:56 PM
                    Gretchen,

                    Good for you. I think Jim would agree that a sail in this size range is
                    better made with Dacron. You might find all the reinforcing patches and
                    grommet installations to be more of a challenge than the broad seaming.
                    But you do have "windows" of opportunity so take your time:-)

                    While you are at it may as well make the spars as well.

                    I notice there seems to be no motor well shown on the plans. Is this by
                    design or just not shown in the cartoons and card model?

                    Nels

                    wrote:

                    > I decided for all the work I might as well make it last and use
                    sailcloth. I got 4 oz Dacron from Duckworks, along with thread and seam
                    tape. I've onle made one tiny sail out of a dropcloth, so broadseaming
                    will be an adventure!

                    > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "tsgosnell" tsgosnell@ wrote:
                    > >
                    > > What sail material are you using? I am going to be making the same
                    sail in a few weeks for my toon 2. Keep us posted with the results.
                    > > Scott
                    > >
                    > > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "gretchen.graner" <gm.graner@>
                    wrote:

                    > > > I want to clarify Olive Oyl's dimensions. She's described with a
                    6' beam, but that is on deck. The bottom is actually 5', so her
                    waterline is not as fat as you'd think. In fact I thought Jim had drawn
                    AF3's bottom in the layout by mistake! I should have known he is light
                    years ahead of me with the numbers thing... (sheepish grimace). Bottom
                    line: maybe she won't be too much of a water slug! Just so she doesn't
                    make me spill me wine...

                    > > > I got my sail supplies today, and hope to use President's Day
                    weekend to disrupt the house with sailmaking! Wish me luck-- Gigi

                  • Steven D'Antonio
                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 30, 2013
                      Hi All,

                       I asked this as part of another thread and then realized that it would probably get lost in that thread, so I'm starting it as a new one.

                      I have just about completed my first boat, (just in time to put it to bed for he winter) and am looking forward to starting a second build.  The planned building curve is a 12ft sailing dingy (basically complete at this time), the Olive Oyl, then a Caprice.  I have also looked at Norms Boat and could easily be convinced to combine the Olive and Caprice into one (Norms) boat instead of building a total of 3.

                      My original intent for the Caprice was that it would give me the ability to do some light coastal sailing (MMassachusetts to Maine summer vacation trips, stuff like that).  Also I can use if for boat diving.  If Norms Boat fits the bill for a light coastal sailor then all the better.  I spoke to Jim and he agreed the Caprice would be a good boat for my plans (as long as I don't get wild and crazy and try to sail across the Atlantic), but we never discussed the possibility of Norms Boat as an alternative.

                      Anyone ever build an Olive Oyl and if so how well does she sail (for the beginner). I know she is an updated AF3 (or a chopped off Norms Boat), and the AF3 has a long and good sailing and build history. So I assume they sail pretty much the same.  Of course making assumptions like that has always gotten me into trouble in the past.

                      So, your comments please.

                      Thanks
                      Steven
                    • tsgosnell

                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 31, 2013
                          Still thinking about Tween, I found a couple of more done ones.

                          ( Neo won't let me in again, caught in a log in loop for days, so here they are from my dropbox.)

                          Richard Poletti

                          Joe Millard

                          Funny, the one seems smaller than the other.
                          marka