Toon 2

  • tsgosnell
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2010
      Looks like the toon 2 race was won, good looking toon2 pic posted at Jims website. There will soon be at least 3 of us with toons, maybe we can get together at one the events next year.
      Scott
    • Tom
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 2, 2010
        Yes nice looking example of the Toon2.

        For anyone interested I've been keeping a log of my Toon2 build at www.buildboats.com - Scott is also going to forward some pictures of his as well which I will post. (Scott and I have both posted phots here as well)

        As far as events there is a new yahoo group putting together an Eastern Messabout but likely to far North (Eastern PA, Delaware NJ could be the likely venues) for the Toon2 gathering.

        Tom
        Buildboats.com

        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "tsgosnell" <tsgosnell@...> wrote:

        > Looks like the toon 2 race was won, good looking toon2 pic posted at Jims website. There will soon be at least 3 of us with toons, maybe we can get together at one the events next year.
        > Scott

      • nurse.josh
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 3, 2010
          Scott,

          I don't know if you included my build of a toon2 in Longmont, CO, but I've just started. Have the mast, spars, and sail built, ready to finish, working on the rudder, and just cut out bulkhead 2 this week.

          Josh

          --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "tsgosnell" <tsgosnell@...> wrote:

          > Looks like the toon 2 race was won, good looking toon2 pic posted at Jims website. There will soon be at least 3 of us with toons, maybe we can get together at one the events next year.
          > Scott

        • tsgosnell
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 3, 2010
            Josh,
            I knew there was another. Good to hear youve got you sail finished. Did you make the sprit or lug sail? From poly or dacron? I ask because I have the hull alomost ready but not he sail.
            Thats 4 Toons! Toontastic!
            Scott

            --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "nurse.josh" <nursejosh@...> wrote:

            > Scott,
            >
            > I don't know if you included my build of a toon2 in Longmont, CO, but I've just started. Have the mast, spars, and sail built, ready to finish, working on the rudder, and just cut out bulkhead 2 this week.
            >
            > Josh
            >
            > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "tsgosnell" <tsgosnell@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Looks like the toon 2 race was won, good looking toon2 pic posted at Jims website. There will soon be at least 3 of us with toons, maybe we can get together at one the events next year.
            > > Scott

          • nurse.josh
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 4, 2010
              Hey Scott,

              I made the sprit sail out of green poly tarp as designed, but I'm rigging it as a gunter. I made a hollow 14' 8 sided bird's mouth about 3 1/4" inches in diameter and two octaganol solid laminate spars about 1 3/8" x 1 3/4" in cross section. I tapered the last 4 feet of each, and it got a little too thin at the tip of the 16-footer, but that seems to work out allright. I lashed the sail to the bottom 15' of the 16' gunter, leaving about 3' of reefable area under it and made a snotter for the 14' spar to use as the sprit. I might have to experiment a little bit with shaping the bottom 3 feet once I get it permanently rigged as it seemed to overlap the mast a little bit.

              I've set it up once using my black and decker workmate to hold the mast and it about blew into the neighbor's car with a 5-10 mph breeze, despite me sitting on the workmate and not having the bottom 3 feet attached to the mast at all!

              I'd like to experiment with a rig similar to that on "elver" by Steve Redmond: http://www.sredmond.com/elver.htm loose footed sprit (not sprit-boomed), possible bowsprit and jib and mizzen. I sketched the main up on the toon2 in proportion to the spars that I've made already and think it could be done with the main mast moved a bit forward, almost putting the step at bulkhead 2 and freeing up cabin space.

              Josh