Eastern Messabout IDEAS PLEASE !

  • Bob
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2010
      Declared yesterdays sail on the Delaware the "last sail of the season" and now it's time to think about the 2011 season.

      Got a PDracer, a Michalak Laguna, Welsford or Storer design, canoe or kayak, a traditional classic, Potter, a design of your own ???

      HOW ABOUT AN "EASTERN MESSABOUT" in 2011.

      We (Steve Bosquette and Bob Throne) need your input .. we'd like to see your boat, sail with you - and maybe swap tillers, and swap ideas, stories, and boating yarns .. preferably over a good meal (potluck) by the water.

      So we've started a Yahoo Group hoping we can put together a good time in 2011. It is described as:

      "Information about and for people who want to gather to "mess about" in boats .. sailboats, powerboats, canoe & kayak .. home built or manufactured .. 6' to 25 -35'.

      Two were held in 08' and 09' at Hawk Island Marina, on the Rancocas just off the Delaware River north of Philadelphia. We had a great time and there are write-ups on Duckworks magazine online.

      http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/index.cfm

      But there was no beach and limited camping, and we couldn't find a better location for 2010. ... SO ...

      1 - do you know of a venue with ramp, beach and campground say between northern Jersey,
      Southeastern Pennsylvania or Maryland / Delaware ?

      2 - are you interested and would you like to come ?

      3 - What time of year would you suggest .. avoiding the Michalak Rend Lake Messabout Fathers Day,
      the Texas 200, and the Mid-Atlantic Small Craft festival in the Fall ?"

      We're looking for a site with a decent ramp, dock and beach; preferably no hp limit so larger boats can come; camping with a shoreline where boats can beach or be anchored out, and some nearby motels for those with need for amenities.

      Or reply directly to me. Don't be shy .. help us make a good time for all.

      Thanks and Fair winds,

      Bob Throne

      (My boat is a self-designed "Wanderer" - 15' x 6'9' pocket cruiser, yawl rigged launched in 07' (balanced lug planned for next season.)

      (Steve has built more than a dozen, of which a Bolger Sneakeasy has been his favorite .. he's design something new for next season.)