Re: [Michalak] IT'S JUST NOT FAIR!!!!

  • Luke S
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 3, 2002
      I'm glad you said that Chuck, I have been using bondo for spot fairing and
      thought I would keep quite about it. Bondo has a bad name,but it works for
      what I use it for.

      Luke S.
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 3, 2002
        Hi,

        I knew a Hobie dealer in Oklahoma City that did some trememdous repairs of
        plastic hulls. This was all using polyesther, but it should work with epoxy
        also. His techinque was to wait until the catalyzed resin was tack free,
        but still somewhat soft. He would place a piece of sheet Mylar over the
        area and then roll it with a 4" wide rubber roller. It would smooth the
        resin and the mylar would not stick to the resin. The rubber roller was
        from an art supply house and used in some printing applications. I have
        seen them at Michaels for $4 or so. I have tried the same technique with
        Saran Wrap with limited success. I found it hard to get Saran to layout
        flat and not wrincle and add more roughness.

        Tim

        At 05:23 AM 12/03/2002 +0000, you wrote:
        >--- In Michalak@y..., "Chuck Leinweber" <chuck@d...> wrote:
        > > > Slather the goo on and sand it off.
        > > > Slather the goo on and sand it off
        > > > Etc. etc. etc.
        > > >
        > > ><snip>
        > > >
        > > > Max
        > >
        > > Max: I know it's heresy, but I often use Bondo to do fairing.
        >Everyone
        > > says it won't work, but I have been doing it for years with no
        >failures.
        > > The trick is to put the bondo down while the epoxy that you use to
        >tape with
        > > is still a bit green. It sands oh so much more easily. It's
        >cheaper,
        > > easier to use, and sets up in 15 minutes.
        > >
        > > Chuck
        >

        >I used automotive "spot putty" (red stuff in a tube)
        >to fair the butt joints on the AF4 and AF3.
        >
        >No mixxing; super-easy to sand; hasn't fallen out
        >yet.
        >
        >In fact, after I had painted the bottom of the
        >AF4, I decided to use spot putty to fill some depressions
        >over the screw heads for the bottom butt joints.
        >I never painted over the spot putty and it is still there.
        >
        >I will probably use the spot putty to fill any problems
        >with the seams after I sand this second coat of epoxy
        >and microballons, which I put on this evening.
        >
        >And this is all just the inside- haven't started the outside
        >yet.
        >

        >max

      • jeff
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 3, 2002

          > Max: I know it's heresy, but I often use Bondo to do fairing. Everyone
          > says it won't work, but I have been doing it for years with no failures.
          > The trick is to put the bondo down while the epoxy that you use to tape
          with
          > is still a bit green. It sands oh so much more easily. It's cheaper,
          > easier to use, and sets up in 15 minutes.

          How green Chuck? Dent with a thumb nail or softer? Just curious as I had
          no thought of doing it when the epoxy is still soft. That certainly should
          make it hold better. Good idea, thanks.

          Jeff
        • Richard Spelling
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 3, 2002
            I'm thinking of using it to touch up mine. Think it will stick to porch
            paint?

            > Max: I know it's heresy, but I often use Bondo to do fairing. Everyone
            > says it won't work, but I have been doing it for years with no failures.
            > The trick is to put the bondo down while the epoxy that you use to tape
            with
            > is still a bit green. It sands oh so much more easily. It's cheaper,
            > easier to use, and sets up in 15 minutes.
            >
            > Chuck

          • Richard Spelling
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 3, 2002
              Ah, peel ply. Interesting, I was thinking of doing something similar with
              waxed papers, but it leaves wax on, and sometimes doesn't want to come off.

              Where would one get some mylar to play with?

              Let's see, if we are doing mylar peel ply, we might as well use a breathing
              layer and a vacuum bag too! Hah. Next we'll be building airplanes!

              > I knew a Hobie dealer in Oklahoma City that did some trememdous repairs of
              > plastic hulls. This was all using polyesther, but it should work with
              epoxy
              > also. His techinque was to wait until the catalyzed resin was tack free,
              > but still somewhat soft. He would place a piece of sheet Mylar over the
              > area and then roll it with a 4" wide rubber roller. It would smooth the
              > resin and the mylar would not stick to the resin. The rubber roller was
              > from an art supply house and used in some printing applications. I have
              > seen them at Michaels for $4 or so. I have tried the same technique with
              > Saran Wrap with limited success. I found it hard to get Saran to layout
              > flat and not wrincle and add more roughness.
              >
              > Tim

              > > > Max: I know it's heresy, but I often use Bondo to do fairing.
              > >Everyone
              > > > says it won't work, but I have been doing it for years with no
              > >failures.
              > > > The trick is to put the bondo down while the epoxy that you use to
              > >tape with
              > > > is still a bit green. It sands oh so much more easily. It's
              > >cheaper,
              > > > easier to use, and sets up in 15 minutes.
              > > >
              > > > Chuck
              > >

              > >I used automotive "spot putty" (red stuff in a tube)
              > >to fair the butt joints on the AF4 and AF3.
              > >
              > >No mixxing; super-easy to sand; hasn't fallen out
              > >yet.
              > >
              > >In fact, after I had painted the bottom of the
              > >AF4, I decided to use spot putty to fill some depressions
              > >over the screw heads for the bottom butt joints.
              > >I never painted over the spot putty and it is still there.
              > >
              > >I will probably use the spot putty to fill any problems
              > >with the seams after I sand this second coat of epoxy
              > >and microballons, which I put on this evening.
              > >
              > >And this is all just the inside- haven't started the outside
              > >yet.
              > >

              > >max

            • Bruce C. Anderson
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 3, 2002
                Howdy Richard

                If you only want small sizes, you could use potato chip bags (Lays super
                large size) or the shiny nonrubber balloons they sell at the supermarket
                or K-mart, etc.

                The potato chip bags might be cost prohibitive, since you have to buy
                beer and dip in order to dispose of the contents of the bag.

                Good Luck

                See Ya

                Have Fun

                Bruce

                www.myweb.cableone.net/bcanderson
              • Chuck Leinweber
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 3, 2002
                  > I'm thinking of using it to touch up mine. Think it will stick to porch
                  > paint?

                  I think it's better than epoxy for paint. If you patch painted surfaces
                  with Epoxy, it does not sand very well - the epoxy is so hard, that it
                  flakes off the paint. Bondo is softer, more like the paint so there is no
                  sanding preferential.

                  Chuck
                • Chuck Leinweber
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 3, 2002
                    > How green Chuck? Dent with a thumb nail or softer? Just curious as I had
                    > no thought of doing it when the epoxy is still soft. That certainly
                    should
                    > make it hold better. Good idea, thanks.
                    >
                    > Jeff

                    The idea is to get a good bond. Do it whenever it is possible and
                    convenient. If you forget until the next day, scotchbrite the epoxy and
                    apply Bondo over that. By the way, the best brand NAPA ultralite body
                    filler.

                    Chuck
                  • Richard Spelling
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 3, 2002
                      I was thinking something a little bigger, couple of square yards should do
                      it.

                      Wonder if that reflective film for windows would work?
                      > > Where would one get some Mylar to play with?
                      >
                      > If you only want small sizes, you could use potato chip bags (Lays super
                      > large size) or the shiny nonrubber balloons they sell at the supermarket
                      > or K-mart, etc.
                      >
                      > The potato chip bags might be cost prohibitive, since you have to buy
                      > beer and dip in order to dispose of the contents of the bag.
                      >
                      > Good Luck
                      >
                      > See Ya
                      >
                      > Have Fun
                      >
                      > Bruce
                      >
                      > www.myweb.cableone.net/bcanderson

                    • gbb132000
                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 3, 2002
                        The only problem I see with Bondo is that it is TOO fast. Bear that
                        in mind when you try it. The curing speed is great, but realize that
                        once you mix it you gotta use it NOW. Plan your work and be ready to
                        execute.

                        (I haven't actually used the stuff on boats - my experience has been
                        with other misc patching and fairing jobs. I don't have an opinion
                        about marine durability)

                        gbb

                        --- In Michalak@y..., "Chuck Leinweber" <chuck@d...> wrote:
                        > > Slather the goo on and sand it off.
                        > > Slather the goo on and sand it off
                        > > Etc. etc. etc.
                        > >
                        > ><snip>
                        > >
                        > > Max
                        >
                        > Max: I know it's heresy, but I often use Bondo to do fairing.
                        Everyone
                        > says it won't work, but I have been doing it for years with no
                        failures.
                        > The trick is to put the bondo down while the epoxy that you use to
                        tape with
                        > is still a bit green. It sands oh so much more easily. It's
                        cheaper,
                        > easier to use, and sets up in 15 minutes.
                        >
                        > Chuck
                      • gbb132000
                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 3, 2002
                          Probably stick to porch paint, but how well is the porch paint
                          sticking to what's under it? It's always best to sand down to the
                          most solid layer available and let the filler adhere to that.

                          gbb

                          --- In Michalak@y..., "Richard Spelling" <richard@c...> wrote:
                          > I'm thinking of using it to touch up mine. Think it will stick to
                          porch
                          > paint?

                          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                        • gbb132000
                          Message 12 of 15 , Dec 3, 2002
                            Seems like mylar used to be used for drafting applications. We still
                            use it on occasion for comparator overlays.... which are kind of like
                            transparencies for an overhead projector. I wonder if THAT material
                            would work? Perhaps try an artist's supply house...? gbb