glass cloth over keel or under?

  • Dean Herring
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 1, 2010
      say - I've now got Mike's boat turned over (hull up) and getting ready to clip the copper wires down on the joints. I will wet the joints, add epoxy fillets, fair, and then double glass with 4 inch wide tape. I want to add the keel to the bottom straight onto the wood with screws from the inside and epoxy it to the hull. I am then thinking about putting a very generous fillet between the hull and keel and then glassing over the bottom hull with a 50 inch wide by 16 feet cloth. The plans seem to have you glass the bottom first and then add the keel. Others have caulked in the keel over the glass. I don't know if there is another permutation of epoxying the keel onto the glass? Anything wrong with my approach of adding the keel first and then glassing? Does the keel need a sharp edge to the water on the sides of it? Also need to add the skeg to the keel at the back.

      Thanks, Dean
    • Dean Herring
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 1, 2010
        forgot to say - the keel is 3/4 by 4 so it seems to just be a rock guard?

        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Dean Herring" <dfharing@...> wrote:

        > say - I've now got Mike's boat turned over (hull up) and getting ready to clip the copper wires down on the joints. I will wet the joints, add epoxy fillets, fair, and then double glass with 4 inch wide tape. I want to add the keel to the bottom straight onto the wood with screws from the inside and epoxy it to the hull. I am then thinking about putting a very generous fillet between the hull and keel and then glassing over the bottom hull with a 50 inch wide by 16 feet cloth. The plans seem to have you glass the bottom first and then add the keel. Others have caulked in the keel over the glass. I don't know if there is another permutation of epoxying the keel onto the glass? Anything wrong with my approach of adding the keel first and then glassing? Does the keel need a sharp edge to the water on the sides of it? Also need to add the skeg to the keel at the back.
        >
        > Thanks, Dean

      • Hajo Smulders
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 1, 2010
          You want that keel to be screwed / caulked on after you fiberglass your
          boat. That will allow you to use it as a sacrificial piece. A few years from
          now you just take it of; replace and of you go with a perfect bottom...
          BTW: on a stitch and glue: If you have one of those oscillating multi tools:
          Get a metal blade and you will cut through that copper totally flush! It is
          SO worth it!

          Hajo
          --
          "Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our
          political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy

        • Dean Herring
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 1, 2010
            Hajo, thanks - i had not thought of that tool - i got one - now to see if i have metal blade - this is my first stitch and glue - what kind of caulk does one use? The stick down skeg at the rear is epoxied to the keel or screwed and caulked? Dean

            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 1, 2010
              so, then I screw it from the outside in (from 3/4 inch keel to 1/2 inch thick hull) - the inside bottom between the seats I will glass over so the screws will not be accessible if I do it from inside to outside - dean

              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 1, 2010
                I always screw from inside to outside. Use bronze or at least stainless
                steel screws. I do this AFTER fiberglassing, so the screws stay accessible.

                Hajo

                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 1, 2010
                  Depends. I typically epoxy and fillet a skeg. But I put either a bronze
                  keelband on it (Nice boat) or at least triple glass and then cover with
                  epoxy graphite mix.

                  Hajo
                  --

                  On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 9:43 AM, Dean Herring <dfharing@...> wrote:

                  > Hajo, thanks - i had not thought of that tool - i got one - now to see if i
                  > have metal blade - this is my first stitch and glue - what kind of caulk
                  > does one use? The stick down skeg at the rear is epoxied to the keel or
                  > screwed and caulked? Dean

                • davidprice.1957
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 1, 2010
                    I asked the same question myself recently, I am building a Mayfly 16. In the end I glassed the whole bottom of the boat, added the keel, then glassed over the keel. That way I should be able just to replace the keel at some stage in the future if it becomes damaged.

                    David

                    --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Dean Herring" <dfharing@...> wrote:

                    > forgot to say - the keel is 3/4 by 4 so it seems to just be a rock guard?
                    >
                    > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Dean Herring" <dfharing@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > say - I've now got Mike's boat turned over (hull up) and getting ready to clip the copper wires down on the joints. I will wet the joints, add epoxy fillets, fair, and then double glass with 4 inch wide tape. I want to add the keel to the bottom straight onto the wood with screws from the inside and epoxy it to the hull. I am then thinking about putting a very generous fillet between the hull and keel and then glassing over the bottom hull with a 50 inch wide by 16 feet cloth. The plans seem to have you glass the bottom first and then add the keel. Others have caulked in the keel over the glass. I don't know if there is another permutation of epoxying the keel onto the glass? Anything wrong with my approach of adding the keel first and then glassing? Does the keel need a sharp edge to the water on the sides of it? Also need to add the skeg to the keel at the back.
                    > >
                    > > Thanks, Dean

                  • Dean Herring
                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 1, 2010
                      yee - haaa - using that tool is fun - not only does it do a great job on getting the copper wires down flush it does wonders on errant gobs of hardened epoxy stuck on the hull, i started using it in areas that i would normally use the plane - kind of free sculpting - not really the right place but fun anyway. I've a rule about some of this stuff - better done with a beer - makes one bolder and / or in case something goes wrong one can just sit back and cry in ones beer. Thanks Hajo! cheers - on to the next issue... Dean

                      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Dean Herring" <dfharing@...> wrote:

                      > Hajo, thanks - i had not thought of that tool - i got one - now to see if i have metal blade - this is my first stitch and glue - what kind of caulk does one use? The stick down skeg at the rear is epoxied to the keel or screwed and caulked? Dean
                      >
                      > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Hajo Smulders <hajosmulders@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > You want that keel to be screwed / caulked on after you fiberglass your
                      > > boat. That will allow you to use it as a sacrificial piece. A few years from
                      > > now you just take it of; replace and of you go with a perfect bottom...
                      > > BTW: on a stitch and glue: If you have one of those oscillating multi tools:
                      > > Get a metal blade and you will cut through that copper totally flush! It is
                      > > SO worth it!
                      > >
                      > > Hajo
                      > > --
                      > > "Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our
                      > > political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy
                      > > means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." (Isaac Asimov)

                    • Tom
                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 4, 2010
                        Just curious - has anyone out there actually had to replace a keel on one of these boats? I know the question comes up on how should the keel go on, and I've heard the "if it needs replaced...", just wondering how ofter it needs to if glassed, epoxied graphite coated to begin with? It would seem if one takes care to repair any damage as occurs with some thickened epoxy that a keel may never need to be replaced? just a thought

                        Tom
                      • Andres Espino
                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 4, 2010
                          you left no thread.. on what boat and what problem regarding what design.. are you referring to a michalak boat?

                          Hard to follow without some kind of context.. if you trim all... please explain in more detail.

                          Andrew

                          Message 12 of 15 , Oct 4, 2010
                            My apologies on not leaving the thread

                            Message 13 of 15 , Oct 4, 2010
                              Tom,

                              Totally agree with you. If one has a concern due to hitting things, a
                              thin "sacrificial" strip can be added to the bottom of the keel. Can be
                              a strip of white oak or metal of choice and simply screwed into the
                              bottom of the keel with a suitable bedding compound. Or a couple layers
                              of 4" glass tape, just like on the bow or chines.

                              Recently a builder was chided on the WB forum for using epoxy and screws
                              installed from inside on the rub rails of his build. "How are you going
                              to replace them?" was the outcry.

                              The reaponse was "I don't intend to replace them or ram into any docks.
                              But I also plan to use fenders."

                              Anyway I see no reason to glass a keel and face the challenge of running
                              the glass around a 90 degree angle. Either way I doubt it will likely
                              have to be replaced any sooner than the bottom would.

                              Nels

                              --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <buildboats@...> wrote:

                              > My apologies on not leaving the thread
                              >

                              > Just curious - has anyone out there actually had to replace a keel on
                              one of
                              > these boats? I know the question comes up on how should the keel go
                              on, and
                              > I've heard the "if it needs replaced...", just wondering how ofter it
                              needs to
                              > if glassed, epoxied graphite coated to begin with? It would seem if
                              one takes
                              > care to repair any damage as occurs with some thickened epoxy that a
                              keel may
                              > never need to be replaced? just a thought
                              >
                              > Tom
                              >

                              > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "davidprice.1957" davidprice.1957@
                              wrote:

                              > > I asked the same question myself recently, I am building a Mayfly
                              16. In the end I glassed the whole bottom of the boat, added the keel,
                              then glassed over the keel. That way I should be able just to replace
                              the keel at some stage in the future if it becomes damaged.

                              > > David
                              > >
                              > > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Dean Herring" <dfharing@> wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > forgot to say - the keel is 3/4 by 4 so it seems to just be a rock
                              guard?

                              ready to clip the copper wires down on the joints. I will wet the
                              joints, add epoxy fillets, fair, and then double glass with 4 inch wide
                              tape. I want to add the keel to the bottom straight onto the wood with
                              screws from the inside and epoxy it to the hull. I am then thinking
                              about putting a very generous fillet between the hull and keel and then
                              glassing over the bottom hull with a 50 inch wide by 16 feet cloth. The
                              plans seem to have you glass the bottom first and then add the keel.
                              Others have caulked in the keel over the glass. I don't know if there is
                              another permutation of epoxying the keel onto the glass? Anything wrong
                              with my approach of adding the keel first and then glassing? Does the
                              keel need a sharp edge to the water on the sides of it? Also need to add
                              the skeg to the keel at the back.

                            • alan enlow
                              Message 14 of 15 , Oct 5, 2010
                                I will cross the replaqcing bridge when reach it. I live around rocky shored lakes and will cover it with 6 oz biax and epoxiy an hope for best.

                                Message 15 of 15 , Oct 5, 2010
                                  Alan,

                                  This is only based on my experience while whitewater canoeing in rocky
                                  rivers. The most vulnerable spot on a canoe is where the bow meets the
                                  bottom. Then the chines if you get cross ways against rocks and I see
                                  the advantage of exterior chine logs in that regard. Michalak writes
                                  about that in his build book. Reinforce the edges with glass if you can!
                                  In canoes I use kevlar felt bang plates.

                                  Another option is UMHW runners which are added to aluminum jet boat and
                                  downriver drift boat chine areas and even dog sled runners where I
                                  live. Same stuff as cutting boards are made from. Slippery and abrasion
                                  resistant as heck and never rot.

                                  Nels