Re: yawl rig on mixer2

  • captreed@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 30, 2010
      Hi Hajo,

      One of my boats is essentially a Mixer2. I put a mizzen on her and it did what it said it would...allowed me to heave to by tightening the mizzen sheet. Well, it sort of heaves to. Heaving to in a sloop means stopping or slowly fore reaching. Heaving to with a mizzen means you are pointing into the wind, but it also means you are going aft a a pretty good speed. Like...2 knots in a good breeze.

      On a beam reach you could slack the main some and the boat would self steer with the tiller tied. That was nice.

      I discovered with jiffy lines I could reef while the boat drifted with the wind on the beam, so I didn't need to be hove to. I decided the extra lines, etc., were more than I wanted so I took the mizzen off. (I had taken some off the leach of the main, so I had to make a new polytarp main.)

      My boat will do everything I want without a mizzen.

      I've enjoyed your posts and thoughtfulness over the time you've been posting.

      Reed
    • Hajo Smulders
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 1, 2010
        I want to thank everybody for their input. As of right now I'm going to keep
        the sail plan standard. I'll use a topping lift or lazy jacks to keep the
        boom up for a boom tent.

        Hajo
        --
        "Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our
        political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy

      • Andres Espino
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 1, 2010
          I too am disappointed with PB&Friends since Phil's passing.  I now think Harold Payson and Jim Michalak are the two who are mostly carrying on the Bolger type legacy.

          I am looking at how to add that mizzen to my 'plastic classic' with a Columbia hull since seeing a video how the 'Long Micro' could self steer within about 1 degree without fancy wind vane or autohelm.

          Andrew

          From: asloth2 <asloth@...>

          Subject: [Michalak] Re: yawl rig on mixer2

          To: Michalak@yahoogroups.com

          Date: Thursday, September 30, 2010, 11:11 AM

          Hajo, A little more info on the Wooboto yawl rig. It was an add-on after

          completing and sailing for a few months. A resolution to "heaving to" and

          cruising on longer distances. It works well for me, after I figured out not to

          have the downhaul on the mizzen tight, so the mizzen sail can swing freely. Yes

          the booms do collide on occasion, but likely due to main not topped up.

          But not much fun for short day sails, as more rigging and twice the lines to

          tend. I wouldn't add a mizzen to my Mixer2 as its got a smaller cockpit than the

          Wooboto making everything more of a tangle. But just my experience and

          likes/dislikes.

          There's a Mixer south of me that the owner has used as a floating sail

          experiment platform and likely he has tired a yawl rigging on it. Maybe he'll

          add to all of this.

          Steve Chambers OF