Re: [Michalak] Re: Reply: Is the Blobster suitable for Cheasapeake Bay cruising?

  • Alan Shapcott
    Message 1 of 31 , Aug 6, 2010
      Hello Luke,
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Michalak/photos/album/1820081684/pic/list
      One of these pictures shows Nels' Micro under-the-cockpit hold area. Its all just a completely open area under the flat cockpit. There is no seperate footwell as such, just the hatch opening. I imagine it would be pleasant to sleep below here with the hatch-cover open in warm weather....
      Alan.

      From: luke_seubert <luke_seubert@...>
      To: Michalak@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Friday, 6, August, 2010, 4:08 PM

      > I will try to clarify things a bit from my perspective.
      >
      > I think the cockpit/aft deck on the Blobster is the same as on Viola 22
      > for which Jim says:
      >
      > "Aft of the cabin is a large flat cockpit with great storage
      > underneath which is accessible from both the cockpit and
      > from the cabin. One trip on a Micro will show you what
      > a wonderful setup this is. Best of all, this type of deck
      > is very quick and easy to build."
      >
      > http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/jim/viola22/index.htm

      I think, but am not sure, that the cockpit/aft deck of Blobster is a bit different from Viola. Viola has a substantial aft "buoyancy box", from the looks of it. Blobster might have a thin one, but it does have a small wet well. Now the deck and footwell parts of the cockpit might be very similar between Viola and Blobster.

      By the way, to clarify a point of confusion. The structure I refer to as "benches" is the part of the cockpit running along the port and starboard sides, where one usually sits. I know it isn't a "bench" in the conventional sense, but I use the term to distinguish these areas from the center of the cockpit, which is occupied by covered deck, open footwell, and then covered deck.

      What I do not understand about the Blobster cockpit design, is the footwell area. That is the source of my confusion. If I could get a proper description, or some photos, then I would understand it better.

      > You might also notice the scuppers in the sides immediately aft the main
      > bulkhead. I would not make them too small as they can get plugged with
      > leaves etc., if the boat is stored outside and it storms, allowing
      > rainwater to lie on the deck. and could lead to the paint lifting or
      > bubbling.
      >
      > No need ever for a bilge pump with that setup. A sponge at most!

      So long as the footwell hatch is in place. If the footwell hatch is removed while sailing, the footwell is exposed and water can get in there. Now, that need not be a large problem, depending on the design - which, as I stated above, I don't fully understand at this point.

      > A fellow from OZ has built two Micros, one with the builder requiring a
      > self-draining cockpit which he did but only because he was ordered to. I
      > guess it depends on personal preference. If I was going to have one I
      > would want a cover over it if stored outside and give up the extra
      > storage space below - which is amazing in a Micro - as you can crawl
      > right inside from the cabin. With a self-draining cockpit you only have
      > two narrow storage accesses on each side and a bit under the well. One
      > Micro owner installed two deadlights in the sides of the hold and his
      > kids slept there and used it as a playpen:-)

      I understand and appreciate all the storage space, potential storage space, that exists underneath the cockpit deck. One can place an enormous amount of stuff in there, and it can also serve as a large watertight volume with lots of positive buoyancy. These are all good things.

      > Inner window panels could be removable if they seep. Actually I like the
      > wiley port design that can be opened of closed right off with some foam
      > bits. Will try to upload a file on it.

      Please post a message if you are able to upload the file - I would like to see it. Thanks.

      > I looked hard and long into electric as well. Gets very complicated and
      > expensive if done to have reliable recharging capability. Even have a
      > small genset I could use, but you have to carry gas for it anyway. To
      > get shore power for recharging, means staying at marinas instead of
      > stopping anywhere you prefer. I have a professional background in both
      > wind and solar power and neither option works that well in a sheltered
      > anchorage. Solar panels are much overrated as to their actual
      > performance. Even the best deep-cycle batteries can not be discharged
      > more than 50 percent or so without risking damage. A 5 liter gas tank
      > will out-last 100 lb of batteries in my view and are a lot easier to
      > replenish.

      Technologically, we are getting close to really efficient solar panels and really power dense batteries, but we aren't quite there yet - unless you want to pay a lot of money, that is. There are some early prototype airplanes - reconnaissance aircraft mostly - which use solar panels on the wings and batteries to stay aloft for extended periods. That technology will trickle down and drop in cost eventually, at which time, electric-solar boats will become more practical, especially if they include a wind generator.

      But yeah, I think you are right - right now, solar-electric for main propulsion doesn't work. As supplemental propulsion? Hmm, possibly. Right now, gas motors are cheaper. But solar panels and batteries should suffice for navigation, communication, and audio systems.

      Cheers,
      Luke

    • john colley
      Message 31 of 31 , Dec 27, 2015
        a great part of the world to live in.We took our ts16 to Goolwa a few years back I'd love to lve there.Good luck with your build.  Michalak Blobster Sailing Down Under.wmv

        "There is magic in the feel of a paddle and the movement of a canoe, a magic compounded of distance, adventure, solitude, and peace." -Sigurd Olson

        On Saturday, 26 December 2015, 9:03, "stevekoschella@... [Michalak]" <Michalak@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        Hello Miles. I found your work email and dropped you a line, then with further searching found you here. I am very interested in building a Blobster next year. Actually it is now more than interested, I am planning for it.

        I have watched and read all I can find on the Blobster and I am quite convinced that Jim Michalak has come up with a great design here. As with many things, looks alone might put a would-be builder off, and this has been the reaction I have received on the boat building forums as I have been discussing the requirements for my next build.

        From my perspective I am looking for a versatile, roomy, seaworthy boat that can sail everywhere except for true blue-water cruising. I live in Adelaide, and my local waters are either the local gulf waters which are semi protected but still can be rough at times, and the lower lakes and river Murray. I love sail-camping, and have plans to take her on extended trips down the river (somewhat like a compact houseboat), and will possibly even venture over to Kangaroo Island when the weather forecast is suitable, knowing that if caught out she will be able to weather all but a severe storm, based on all I can find from Jim Michalak's comments on the design. Of real interest is the clever way Jim has dealt with ballast. 270kg of water ballast which is easily variable to the conditions is a real plus, particularly when considering the difference in draft and ballast requirements between river and coastal sailing conditions. I can visualise on a river trip pulling up to a shallow bank with a few inches of draught and walking straight out onto the bank, or even with a gang-plank if it is a raised river bank (which can be a real issue when looking for campsites).

        A couple of questions if you would. Firstly, have you found that the flat open bow is any issue when sailing in rougher conditions? From the design it looks like she will ride up and over all but the steepest waves, typical pram style. Has this been your experience? Would it be worth considering a gate for the bow or even even some kind of temporary bolt-on bull-nose or something for the rougher conditions? (I had thought of trying to modify the design for a sharper bow but this seems fraught with complexities!)

        My plan is to rig her as a chinese junk with a mizzen. (For looks, this will make her look more like a sampan, quite in keeping with her overall appearance!)

        I would love to be able to correspond with someone who has built one of these, and would appreciate any advice or suggestions you might be able to offer.

        Steve.