thoughts on Frolic and apologies for the hacking crack

  • billludeman
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 2, 2010
      How about some meandering thoughts? I spent twenty five years on the Mo. river in various small boats mostly aluminum and mostly underpowered. I considered it my own private very long lake. A 14 or 15 ft alum boat and a 9.9 were constantly in use. I have been in Florida for fifteen years now and owned or been owned by a dozen big boats - including a 44ft Gulfstar. I have several now. I am old and busted up and need to go down to not working on them much if at all and getting out on the water lots. I am in coastal waters and want to play some in the keys if at all possible. I love Garys Oaracle to pieces. Its just pretty in my eye and I suspect it is the rough equivalent to my alum boats on midwest rivers. I brought several boats with me when I moved here and felt pretty naked on the intercoastal in a small boat while looking at fifty footers putting up six foot wakes. I saw a ten foot cotton mouth on a tree limb just over my kayak once and that pretty much skunked me on paddling thru swamps. I want to sail and I want to be able to go spur of the moment. I have a great gas mileage four cylinder suzuki and I think this all adds up to "build a Frolic" I didn't want to cause a stir on the hacking thing but it did seem to be going on and on. None to interesting to me and I read about every note posted on this group because its so interesting to me. On the advice offered by Nels - probably don't need much advice but maybe some encouragement. So far I have purchased plans for Dorado, AF4 Grande, Frolic2 and Wharrams Tiki30 (big bucks) I suppose I should go ahead and order Caprice and study the plans. The water ballast and some off shore capability might make serious sense for the keys and possibly the Bahamas. On a fifty two weekend basis the Frolic wins and I have seen Pictures of Oaracle in some rough stuff. Thanks for all the great stuff I have read while lurking here and any comments on my current insanity are welcome Bill Ludeman in Palatka Fl
    • Rob Kellock
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 3, 2010
        I want to sail and I want to be able to go spur of the moment.

        Bill, this line indicates to me that you want to go for the smallest design you can get away with. Caprice won't be that. I launch and retrieve my 14' 5'' Philsboat solo and even that can become a real headache at the end of the day when I'm tired. My launching system is all homebuilt off a flatdeck trailer though, so I guess if I had commissioned a custom built trailer things would be easier, but most of our overbuilt plywood boats get to be pretty heavy, don't they? A bit of overspec timber here and there soon adds up.

        You haven't said whether you are going to be solo, but that has a huge impact on the size that will be best for you.

        BTW, I agree with you totally. I watch this forum more than any other, not only because I have a Michalak design, but because virtually all of the thread discussions here remain totally focused on politely discussing Jim's designs without the flights of fancy I've seen on other forums. Long may that continue!

        Cheers,

        Rob.
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 3, 2010
          Why not contact Gary and see about going out on Oaracle with him? I bet
          he would be glad to let you try it for a couple days. (Then steal it:-)

          "Old and tired and bent and busted.
          Grey and wrinkled and can't be trusted
          Just a dirty old man."

          Well that's me.

          I have found if I have to crawl around too much, bend over too often, or
          spend too much time sitting or squatting, my back gets really sore and
          stiff. If I paddle a bit too much or even holding a main sheet too long
          my hands get so stiff I can hardly open them the following day. Not to
          mention the shoulders and knees... muscle cramps.

          I like the Family skiff with it's bench seats, but I think it would need
          a Bimini if in Florida.

          http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/jim/family_skiff/index.htm

          Great for motoring but not sailing which brings me back to Caroline
          which has the BW cabin. She tows hers with a small SUV.

          http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/08/outings/t2/index.htm

          As Rob mentions PB is another choice if you can live without the bench
          seats.

          Another choice for me might be to seek out a small used motorsailor and
          just have a PDRacer to day sail and as a tender. But I guess berths cost
          a mint down there.

          Nels

          --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "billludeman" <billludeman@...> wrote:

          > How about some meandering thoughts? I spent twenty five years on the
          Mo. river in various small boats mostly aluminum and mostly
          underpowered. I considered it my own private very long lake. A 14 or
          15 ft alum boat and a 9.9 were constantly in use. I have been in
          Florida for fifteen years now and owned or been owned by a dozen big
          boats - including a 44ft Gulfstar. I have several now. I am old and
          busted up and need to go down to not working on them much if at all and
          getting out on the water lots. I am in coastal waters and want to play
          some in the keys if at all possible. I love Garys Oaracle to pieces.
          Its just pretty in my eye and I suspect it is the rough equivalent to my
          alum boats on midwest rivers. I brought several boats with me when I
          moved here and felt pretty naked on the intercoastal in a small boat
          while looking at fifty footers putting up six foot wakes. I saw a ten
          foot cotton mouth on a tree limb just over my kayak once and that pretty
          much skunked me on paddling thru swamps. I want to sail and I want to
          be able to go spur of the moment. I have a great gas mileage four
          cylinder suzuki and I think this all adds up to "build a Frolic" I
          didn't want to cause a stir on the hacking thing but it did seem to be
          going on and on. None to interesting to me and I read about every note
          posted on this group because its so interesting to me. On the advice
          offered by Nels - probably don't need much advice but maybe some
          encouragement. So far I have purchased plans for Dorado, AF4 Grande,
          Frolic2 and Wharrams Tiki30 (big bucks) I suppose I should go ahead
          and order Caprice and study the plans. The water ballast and some off
          shore capability might make serious sense for the keys and possibly the
          Bahamas. On a fifty two weekend basis the Frolic wins and I have seen
          Pictures of Oaracle in some rough stuff. Thanks for all the great
          stuff I have read while lurking here and any comments on my current
          insanity are welcome Bill Ludeman in Palatka Fl

        • Chris Crandall
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 3, 2010
            For the Florida Keys, I wonder why you would want something particularly
            seaworthy. I've been on the Atlantic side and the Florida Bay side, and
            there's no contest--the Bay is excellent (protected, filled with life,
            with easy access to the Keys, to swimming, to parks, to snorkeling) and
            the Atlantic side is coastal cruising in the Ocean.

            If you want coastal cruising, why are you in the Keys? There's the dead
            coral reef at Pennekamp, and then . . .

            I sailed Florida Bay in a Bolger leeboard sharpie, the yawl-rigged Black
            Skimmer. Now that's sailing.

            The only issue is that you must have a shallow draft boat. But with
            this, a good chart and GPS in hand, the world is your (shallow water)
            oyster.

            -Chris

            > 2.

            thoughts on Frolic and apologies for the hacking crack Posted by:

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 3, 2010
              Speaking of seaworthy. I have been in communication with a fellow who
              did the great circle route for the most part - down the Mississippi and
              back up the ditch to New York. Then left Terrytown and went north though
              the (Eirie?) canal system, across Lake Champlain, up the St. Lawrence
              River to Montreal, up the Rideau canal to Ottawa, back down and into
              the Trent-Severn system over to Lake Huron and along the north channel
              of Georgian bay and is is now on Mackinac Island in MI.

              He did this solo in an AF4 Breve with a 9.9 outboard.

              We are hoping he will do a write-up at some point, by I think he is
              having too much fun to take the time out for it.

              The point is - it is as much about the person as the boat.

              Nels

              --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Chris Crandall <crandall@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > > on the hacking thing but it did seem to be going on and on. None to
              > > interesting to me and I read about every note posted on this group
              > > because its so interesting to me. On the advice offered by Nels
              -
              > > probably don't need much advice but maybe some encouragement. So
              > > far I have purchased plans for Dorado, AF4 Grande, Frolic2 and
              > > Wharrams Tiki30 (big bucks) I suppose I should go ahead and order
              > > Caprice and study the plans. The water ballast and some off shore
              > > capability might make serious sense for the keys and possibly the
              > > Bahamas. On a fifty two weekend basis the Frolic wins and I have
              > > seen Pictures of Oaracle in some rough stuff. Thanks for all the
              > > great stuff I have read while lurking here and any comments on my
              > > current insanity are welcome Bill Ludeman in Palatka Fl

            • bud e
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 3, 2010
                This great circle route your friend is doing is my ultimate dream cruise for my wife and I. The AF4 Breve might be a bit small for us but I like it very much.  Caroline is at the top of my list for this trip.  The weight of Caroline is about the max I can go because I'll be towing it with a sub compact car that has a max towing weight of 1500 pounds.
                Will you please ask your friend that you mentioned that is taking this great circle route if it would be alright if you gave me his email address.  I would very much like to talk with him about his trip.  My email address is bud_4444@....
                Thanks for your help.
                Bud

                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 4, 2010
                  Bud,

                  Received this note this AM.

                  Bud's email address doesn't work. Would you pass this message on to him?
                  Bud,I'm off this morning for Mackinac Island and will be on the water
                  and incommunicado for the next few weeks, but will be happy to answer
                  any questions you have when I return.Rene