Re: [Michalak] Re: Reply: Is the Blobster suitable for Cheasapeake Bay cruising?

  • bud e
    Message 1 of 31 , Jul 31, 2010
      Great post.  Thanks for asking these questions Luke.  Anxious to see the answers.Bud

      Message 31 of 31 , Dec 27, 2015
        a great part of the world to live in.We took our ts16 to Goolwa a few years back I'd love to lve there.Good luck with your build.  Michalak Blobster Sailing Down Under.wmv

        "There is magic in the feel of a paddle and the movement of a canoe, a magic compounded of distance, adventure, solitude, and peace." -Sigurd Olson

        On Saturday, 26 December 2015, 9:03, "stevekoschella@... [Michalak]" <Michalak@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        Hello Miles. I found your work email and dropped you a line, then with further searching found you here. I am very interested in building a Blobster next year. Actually it is now more than interested, I am planning for it.

        I have watched and read all I can find on the Blobster and I am quite convinced that Jim Michalak has come up with a great design here. As with many things, looks alone might put a would-be builder off, and this has been the reaction I have received on the boat building forums as I have been discussing the requirements for my next build.

        From my perspective I am looking for a versatile, roomy, seaworthy boat that can sail everywhere except for true blue-water cruising. I live in Adelaide, and my local waters are either the local gulf waters which are semi protected but still can be rough at times, and the lower lakes and river Murray. I love sail-camping, and have plans to take her on extended trips down the river (somewhat like a compact houseboat), and will possibly even venture over to Kangaroo Island when the weather forecast is suitable, knowing that if caught out she will be able to weather all but a severe storm, based on all I can find from Jim Michalak's comments on the design. Of real interest is the clever way Jim has dealt with ballast. 270kg of water ballast which is easily variable to the conditions is a real plus, particularly when considering the difference in draft and ballast requirements between river and coastal sailing conditions. I can visualise on a river trip pulling up to a shallow bank with a few inches of draught and walking straight out onto the bank, or even with a gang-plank if it is a raised river bank (which can be a real issue when looking for campsites).

        A couple of questions if you would. Firstly, have you found that the flat open bow is any issue when sailing in rougher conditions? From the design it looks like she will ride up and over all but the steepest waves, typical pram style. Has this been your experience? Would it be worth considering a gate for the bow or even even some kind of temporary bolt-on bull-nose or something for the rougher conditions? (I had thought of trying to modify the design for a sharper bow but this seems fraught with complexities!)

        My plan is to rig her as a chinese junk with a mizzen. (For looks, this will make her look more like a sampan, quite in keeping with her overall appearance!)

        I would love to be able to correspond with someone who has built one of these, and would appreciate any advice or suggestions you might be able to offer.

        Steve.