RE: [Michalak] Re: huh?

  • Bruce C. Anderson
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 30, 2002
      Howdy

      > > Do the models use epoxy or polyester?
      > >

      > LouAnn says polyester suits her just fine.
      > Mahogany says she is worth the cost of epoxy.

      Ho Ho!!! LouAnn dressed up in Epoxy looks mighty fine to me!!! :o

      See Ya

      Have Fun

      Bruce

      www.myweb.cableone.net/bcanderson
    • lulalake_1999
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 1, 2002
        --- In Michalak@y..., "Justin Meddock" <jmeddock@n...> wrote:

        > > Do the models use epoxy or polyester?
        > >

        > LouAnn says polyester suits her just fine.
        > Mahogany says she is worth the cost of epoxy.
        >
        > Justin Meddock

        Hmmm, I thought polyester suits went out in the 60's.

        (Sorry, couldn't resist it)
      • Ashley
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 1, 2002
          --- In Michalak@y..., "vexatious2001" <cadbury@s...> wrote:

          > [snip]
          >
          > If I did have to cut individual pieces for each panel, however,
          > I was going to overlap them at each chine instead of
          > taping the chines. I checked with Jim and he thought it would
          > be OK to dispense with the taping if the sheathing was
          > over lapped.
          >

          > [snip]
          >
          > I thought about that, but then I assume that there would
          > have to be a lot of stretching, and what would hold the
          > "keel edge" of the cloth in place while one was pulling
          > down on the gunnel edge? I thought about a temporary
          > batten screwed down over the keel edge to hold it in place
          > until the epoxy set up.
          >
          > [snip]
          >
          > Max

          Hi Max,
          Xynole is apparently better for abrasion resistance, but not as
          strong as glass.

          My feeling is that as seam taping is easy and neat, it is easier
          overall to tape the seams, and drape the cloth over.

          On Dorado, the cloth was 1 metre wide, so I used two widths butted
          along the centre-line. It lay in place easily, and did not need any
          stapling or battens to stay in place.

          Whether you do it in one piece or two would depend on how wide the
          cloth is, and how wide you need to sheathe. But I wouldn't worry if
          you do it in two pieces butted along the centre.

          Sorry - just re-read - at 69" cloth width, do it in one piece, and
          let it drape as far as it goes over the side.

          It would be easier to tape the seams than cut the cloth for each
          panel and overlap the seams. Don't know about you, but I have never
          been able to cut the cloth neatly or evenly. The more cutting, the
          more room for error and unevenness.

          So, Tape and Drape - that's what I reckon.

          Same as you, Max, I had only taped before. I worried a lot about
          sheathing Dorado, especially as I was using a hefty cloth (10 oz),
          and it was a fair sized project. When it got to the job though, all
          went well, and was quite straight forward. You are a practical bloke,
          so you'll get the feel for it fast.

          I did have a helper measuring out batches of resin for me, so I could
          mix and keep going. My resin pump is very slow, so the helper would
          put 30 pumps of resin in cans while I was working. The hardener flows
          very easily from its pump, so it was quick to add 15 pumps of
          hardener and mix as I needed each batch.

          Regards,

          Ashley
        • Ashley
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 1, 2002
            --- In Michalak@y..., "vexatious2001" <cadbury@s...> wrote:

            > Do the models use epoxy or polyester?
            >

            > Max

            Baby oil, manually applied (in my dreams!)

            Ashley
          • vexatious2001
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 2, 2002
              -
              > So, Tape and Drape - that's what I reckon.

              I'm kinda "leaning" in that direction.

              The cloth hasn't arrived yet, and anyway temps
              are going down to about 18 degrees F. next couple
              of nights, so won't be any epoxying going on around here.

              Looking forward to photo updates on the Dorado.

              Max