Re: [Michalak] AF3 halyard & sheet

  • D.G. Cassidy
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 7, 2010
      On my AF3 balanced lug, I'm using 1/4-inch for halyard and tack line.
      I just started using 5/16-inch line (up from 1/4) for the sheet.

      The 5/16 is much more comfortable.
      Nylon Double Braid is nice on the hands for the sheet.
      I would recommend not going direct from the end of the boom, to a
      single block on the tiller (directly above the pintle/gudgeon) as
      shown in the plans.
      In any kind of wind, this puts the pull on the sail entirely on your
      arm muscles. After several hours of this one day last summer, I had
      tendonitis for weeks.
      This season, I added a becket block to the tiller and put a block at
      the end of the boom. This substantially lessons the strain on my arm.
      I also strongly recommend having a clam cleat on the end of the
      tiller for you to set the sheet in.

      My $0.02.

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 7, 2010
        Sounds great. Any photo showing the becket block sheeting and clam cleat
        tiller set-up?