Twister Launch

  • owen
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30, 2010
      Hey Folks,

      I got my Twister in the water a couple of weeks ago and am posting what I sent Jim on the first trials of the boat, there are a few pictures in the Twister folder:

      I have ran it twice under motor power. I tried it out briefly with a malfunctioning motor the first time, there are a few pictures attached from that day. I tried steering it with the rudder when motoring but gave up with that and made a tiller extension for the outboard instead.

      The second trip out I had the motor running better, its a 3hp '67 Johnson. The boat goes about 8.2km/hr at full throttle and about 5.5km/hr at half throttle. I went out fishing all day with a buddy and the dog, the boat got a good test. Its pretty stable and we were both impressed with the seating and standing options. The cabin is a surprisingly good spot to fish from, the front deck is also a great sitting spot but a little wobbly to stand on. We motored 2km up the main river here and into a marsh for the afternoon. On the way back we ran up into some 1' chop and the boat rides fairly smooth. I think the V in the front does something, especially with someone sitting in the middle or standing in the cabin to get some weight up front. I think it will pound some with only me sitting in the back although loading all my stuff and cooler and so on in the front under the deck will help. I haven't given it a fair test in rough water but that will come eventually I imagine. I'm not sure if I think the bench seats are too low yet or not. I have some life preserver cushions to try out and add a couple inches.

      I have all the material to make my mast and sail etc but now construction time is competing with fishing and using the boat with the motor. It might take me a while to get to sailing :)

      Anyway I'm really pleased so far. It seems like it is going to be a good boat for many purposes.

      Owen