The First Post

  • vexatious2001
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 8, 2002
      Welcome to the one-and-only Yahoo Group concerning
      the boat designs of Jim Michalak.

      The topics are anything concerning Michalak's designs,
      their use and construction, as well as other designer's
      work (even that Phil-guys stuff.)

      If you have your own designs, feel free to post them
      and run the risk of being laughed at, or worse, praised.

      I am a little over half-way done with my second Michalak
      boat, an AF3 16ft sailing leeboard sharpie. My first
      Michalak craft was the 18 ft AF4 power skiff. Finished
      it in 5 months and used it all summer (2001)including
      several "overnighters," including some with Jim, the
      man himself, who lives about 30 miles from me.

      A genuinely nice guy, he is far from being a rich man,
      and he truly appreciates that not everyone has the money
      to spend of the fiberglass monstrocities on display down
      at your local boat dealer. He sells his plans for what
      most designers charge for "study" plans (meaning dirt-cheap.)
      All of his boats can be built with "lumber-yard materials."
      And his blueprints are real blueprints, not photocopies.

      There aint a whole lot of rules here. If you guys want
      to cuss each other out, it makes no never-mind to me.
      Considering everything else going on in the world, I am not
      going to waste my time worrying about a couple guys going
      "at-it" on a chat board. Life's too short.

      As far as I can tell, I have placed all the "settings" for
      the group at the most accessable settings.

      Don't expect much "moderating" from me.

      I aint figured out how to do it, yet.
    • John Ewing
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 8, 2002
        Good on you, Max. Thanks for setting up this group. You live in St. Louis, right? I sure wish I could get over/down that way to check out your AFs. You may recall that we corresponded about the AF4 a year or so ago -- and you went right on and built it, you dedicated devil!

        I live in Victoria, B.C. and built a Bolger Surf last summer (my first boat) and have the plans to build Jim Michalak's Jon Jr. this spring to 'cartop' on our Volkswagen camper. (If nothing else, it should make a good sunshade on trips to San Mateo to see our grandkids.) I am really quite taken with Sow's Ear and the modifications proposed for it. Maybe we could move some of that material over from the Bolger List.

        John E.
      • pseudospark
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 14, 2002
          --- In Michalak@y..., John Ewing <john.ewing@s...> wrote:
          > I am really quite taken with Sow's Ear and the modifications
          > proposed for it. Maybe we could move some of that material over
          > from the Bolger List.

          John,

          Your wish is my command. I have added the 3 photos/illustrations I
          put up on Bolger and Smallboatsplus to this list's files area.

          A quick recap of my thoughts on Sow's Ear: I've been looking for some
          time for a simple design that would make a good 1-2 night low power
          camper suitable for the nearby rivers (e.g. Merrimack, Connecticut)
          and protected estuaries (e.g. Great Bay in NH or Merrymeeting Bay in
          Maine). Occupants would pretty much be my wife and me.

          I've looked at some variations on other Michalak designs, Phil
          Thiel's Escargot, Jim Betts' GP-16 and its derivatives, etc. When I
          saw Sow's Ear it seemed like a great basic form upon which I could
          easily make some changes.

          The changes I have in mind include a lengthening of the boat in the
          portion behind the widest frame (forward of that the boat is the
          same) and the addition of a cabin with standing headroom. This full
          height area would encompass the helm, potti, galley and seating for a
          passenger. Berths would be forward.

          The photos include two views of a balsa model I made just after
          Christmas. I lengthened the boat to 17 ft. which yielded a cabin 5 ft
          long and about 5.5 ft of open area between the back of the cabin and
          the motor well. The area reserved for helm/head/etc. is about 3 ft.
          The third file is an illustration showing Sow's Ear as designed and
          with my mods.

          I am thinking about making the cabin about 1 ft longer to provide a
          bit more living space. I'd get there by increasing the OAL around 1/2
          ft and using up another 1/2 ft of open area.

          For fly fishing I'd probably carry my Hobie Float Cat on top. At
          about 30 lbs it'd be easy to remove and slide either aft/aside the
          motor, or forward out over the bow entry.

          By the way, glad to see this site.

          Steve Hansen
        • vexatious2001
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 14, 2002
            -

            Kind of looks like a tug- hang a woven-rope fender
            over the bow.

            It would be too tall to fit into my garage, although
            I suppose that the pilothouse could be made demountable.

            One thing I mentioned to Jim when I first had a
            good look at the plans (I bought the first set.);
            the 1 ft long motorwell isn't long enough for a
            standard outboard of over about 7.5 hp to tilt
            up; it might be big enough for a 9.9 or 15 "low-
            profile" outboard. Rather than move the bulkhead,
            I would just "box-in" an area directly in front
            of the engine, if needed. That would save on
            cockpit space and also on building "complications."

            And, I think I would have the cockpit "coamings"
            curve down as on the AF4.

            Well, are you going to build it???

            Max
          • pseudospark
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 14, 2002
              --- In Michalak@y..., "vexatious2001" <cadbury@s...> wrote:
              > Well, are you going to build it???

              Yup (unless something better comes along before the weather warms up)

              On the height, I figure I'll do the hull in the garage then move it
              out and add the cabin. Making it demountable is an interesting idea
              and probably quite possible.

              Steve H
            • lewisboats
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 20, 2002
                What about making it collapsible, ala come camper shells, say from
                walk-in to 3.5 ft or so.

                --- In Michalak@y..., "pseudospark" <shansen@t...> wrote:
                > --- In Michalak@y..., "vexatious2001" <cadbury@s...> wrote:
                > > Well, are you going to build it???
                >
                > Yup (unless something better comes along before the weather warms
                up)

                > On the height, I figure I'll do the hull in the garage then move it
                > out and add the cabin. Making it demountable is an interesting idea
                > and probably quite possible.
                >
                > Steve H
              • pseudospark
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 21, 2002
                  --- In Michalak@y..., "lewisboats" <numbaoneman@b...> wrote:
                  > What about making it collapsible, ala come camper shells, say from
                  > walk-in to 3.5 ft or so.

                  Not sure what the gain would be other than a lot of complexity.

                  Steve H