RE: [Michalak] Has anyone built a Toon2?

  • John and Kathy Trussell
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 1, 2009
      Tom,

      As far a s I know, there are only two-my original and a modified,
      lengthened, no cabin boat.

      There is enough space for on e person to lie down. The bilge panels limit
      sleepable floor space. There is sprawling head room, but not sitting head
      room. For a single hander "cruising" in shallow waters, it is a pretty good
      choice. Being very light, a crowd of people in the cockpit will trim the
      boat down by the stern-an inevitable consequence of putting a cabin in a
      fairly short boat.

      JohnT

      _____

      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 1, 2009
        Hi John,

        Aren't you talking the Toon19? Toon2 has even a shorter cabin.

        Nels

        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "John and Kathy Trussell"
        <jtrussell2@...> wrote:

        > Tom,
        >

        > As far a s I know, there are only two-my original and a modified,
        > lengthened, no cabin boat.
      • John and Kathy Trussell
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 1, 2009
          Nels,

          You are right; I was talking about Toon 19. I commissioned Jim to design
          Toon 19 after some study and correspondence on Toon 2. The cabin on Toon 2
          is about five feet long. Jim suggested cutting a hole in the forward
          bulkhead and sleeping with your head through the hole (?). I spent about
          two minutes thinking about this (claustrophobic and likely to be humid) and
          asked him to lengthen the boat.

          A large number of boats using plywood are about 15 to 15 1/2 ft
          long—dictated by two 8 ft panels butted together (or scarphed using a 7 to 1
          scarph or a Payton fiberglass butt splice). If you are willing to make a
          second scarph per side, boats up to 23 ft become possible. I’m of the
          opinion that a 16 ½ to 17 ft boat is small enough to be singlehanded, but
          somewhat more capable and burdensome than a 15 footer…

          JohnT

          _____

          Aren't you talking the Toon19? Toon2 has even a shorter cabin.

          Nels

          --- In Michalak@yahoogroup <mailto:Michalak%40yahoogroups.com> s.com, "John
          and Kathy Trussell"
          <jtrussell2@...> wrote:

          > Tom,
          >

          > As far a s I know, there are only two-my original and a modified,
          > lengthened, no cabin boat.

        • Tom
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 1, 2009
            Thanks John, Nels,

            5' cabin, not enough cabin room for a 5 10" guy :)
            and I don't think I want my head through a bulkhead either...

            Tom

            --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "John and Kathy Trussell" <jtrussell2@...> wrote:

            > Nels,
            >

            > You are right; I was talking about Toon 19. I commissioned Jim to design
            > Toon 19 after some study and correspondence on Toon 2. The cabin on Toon 2
            > is about five feet long. Jim suggested cutting a hole in the forward
            > bulkhead and sleeping with your head through the hole (?). I spent about
            > two minutes thinking about this (claustrophobic and likely to be humid) and
            > asked him to lengthen the boat.
            >

            > A large number of boats using plywood are about 15 to 15 1/2 ft
            > long—dictated by two 8 ft panels butted together (or scarphed using a 7 to 1
            > scarph or a Payton fiberglass butt splice). If you are willing to make a
            > second scarph per side, boats up to 23 ft become possible. I'm of the
            > opinion that a 16 ½ to 17 ft boat is small enough to be singlehanded, but
            > somewhat more capable and burdensome than a 15 footer…
            >

            > JohnT
            >

            > _____

          • Nels A
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 1, 2009
              I find it interesting that Toon2 and Twister had the same "short cabin"
              issue.

              I traded for the Twister plans and the original owner of them had the
              same solution offered to you by Jim - cutting a hole in the forward
              bulkhead - and his reaction was also the same as yours.

              I have to wonder if the same solution I suggested in my previous post
              might work for Toon2 as well?

              Another option - if one wants more interior cabin space - with a 15 ft.
              hull, is Fatcat2. It has room in the cabin for a full sized bed for
              two. In fact if your mattress is thick enough to be up to the top chine
              (4") it could be 54" wide X 72" long.

              The trade-off is a wider hull (6.5 ft. instead of 5 ft beam) and the
              mast must be further forward so to stay outside the watertight cabin.
              Therefor requiring a gaff main with a larger sail area instead of the
              simple balance lug of the others.

              Also it is 150 lb. heavier and as you mention - a bit more burdensome.
              But one of Jim's nicest looking boats in my view.

              <jtrussell2@...> wrote:

              > Nels,
              >

              > You are right; I was talking about Toon 19. I commissioned Jim to
              design
              > Toon 19 after some study and correspondence on Toon 2. The cabin on
              Toon 2
              > is about five feet long. Jim suggested cutting a hole in the forward
              > bulkhead and sleeping with your head through the hole (?). I spent
              about
              > two minutes thinking about this (claustrophobic and likely to be
              humid) and
              > asked him to lengthen the boat.
              >

              > A large number of boats using plywood are about 15 to 15 1/2 ft
              > long—dictated by two 8 ft panels butted together (or scarphed
              using a 7 to 1
              > scarph or a Payton fiberglass butt splice). If you are willing to make
              > second scarph per side, boats up to 23 ft become possible. I'm of
              the
              > opinion that a 16 ½ to 17 ft boat is small enough to be
              singlehanded, but
              > somewhat more capable and burdensome than a 15 footer…
              >

              > JohnT
            • daschultz2000
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 2, 2009
                My impression is that Jim Michalak is shorter himself. IE 5'7" or less.

                I'm 6'3". Years ago I was seriously shopping plans for an aircraft to build. One of my early favorites was designed by a fellow who was about 5'7". No way I was fitting in that airplane. Ended up buying plans from a designer who was 6'4".

                Bolger's bunks are almost always to short for me and standing/sitting room in his cabins is shy a few inches of what I need also, except where he was commissioned by a larger person, IE Whalewatcher.

                Don Schultz

                --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Nels A" <arvent@...> wrote:

                > I find it interesting that Toon2 and Twister had the same "short cabin"
                > issue.

              • Phillip
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 3, 2009
                  I built the highly modified Toon2, i.e. no cabin, stretched and with a different rig, standing lug. Description in Files, "Open 18-footer".

                  See boat layout at Port Mansfield for Texas 200 this last June.
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3R8lpwLLGxA

                  And this Michalak-inspired boat in heavy weather
                  http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=philliplea#p/u/3/MZt5KzYbVNo

                  Other videos my wife took can be seen by searching "philliplea" or "open boat sailing" or "Texas 200".

                  The Toon2, two-chine hull can give a nice ride, and carry a boatload of folks and camping gear.

                  Phillip Lea
                  Russellville, Arkansas

                  -- The most dangerous evidence is that which supports what you want to believe.