building a twister

  • owen
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 31, 2009
      Hey folks, I haven't posted here before but I started building a Twister a couple months ago so I thought I would let anyone who was interested know. A while ago someone on this group suggested a modification to make it so you can lay down in the cabin. I am doing that with my boat so thanks for the idea. I put a couple of pictures in the photos section under "twister"

      Owen
    • Nels A
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 1, 2009
        Hi Owen,

        Looking good and thanks for posting the photos!

        I was considering building a Twister at one point because I saw it as a
        nice little river boat just using a small motor, with the sail as an
        optional extra.

        I was looking at installing a short bridge deck a ft. aft of the main
        bulkhead and removing the bottom portion of the main bulkhead to give an
        extra ft. of "foot-room" under the bridge deck. Then decking over the
        space created which would give a seating area against the main bulkhead
        which I felt would keep crew weight further forward to help in keeping
        the hull level with two or more people aboard.

        Lately I have been considering another boat plan that is not one of
        Jim's. But I may have to reconsider again if your build works out:-)

        Your hull is looking really great. No problems with the "twist factor"
        it would seem.

        Keep us posted.

        Nels

        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "owen" <obuerkle@...> wrote:

        > Hey folks, I haven't posted here before but I started building a
        Twister a couple months ago so I thought I would let anyone who was
        interested know. A while ago someone on this group suggested a
        modification to make it so you can lay down in the cabin. I am doing
        that with my boat so thanks for the idea. I put a couple of pictures in
        the photos section under "twister"

        > Owen

      • scr243
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 2, 2009
          I'm glad to see someone building a Twister, I was always curious how well the design would sail. What modification are you making to the cabin?

          Stan

          --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "owen" <obuerkle@...> wrote:

          > Hey folks, I haven't posted here before but I started building a Twister a couple months ago so I thought I would let anyone who was interested know. A while ago someone on this group suggested a modification to make it so you can lay down in the cabin. I am doing that with my boat so thanks for the idea. I put a couple of pictures in the photos section under "twister"
          >
          > Owen

        • scr243
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 2, 2009
            Nells,

            That would make a useful modification on almost any cabin boat. It gives you less cockpit volume to hold water, an extra seat in the cockpit, more cabin space, less likely to splash water in the cabin if you have a bridge deck also. I also considered the Twister as a good potential for a river boat. Looking forward to seeing photos of the completed boat.

            Stan

            --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Nels A" <arvent@...> wrote:

            > Hi Owen,
            >
            > Looking good and thanks for posting the photos!
            >
            > I was considering building a Twister at one point because I saw it as a
            > nice little river boat just using a small motor, with the sail as an
            > optional extra.
            >
            > I was looking at installing a short bridge deck a ft. aft of the main
            > bulkhead and removing the bottom portion of the main bulkhead to give an
            > extra ft. of "foot-room" under the bridge deck. Then decking over the
            > space created which would give a seating area against the main bulkhead
            > which I felt would keep crew weight further forward to help in keeping
            > the hull level with two or more people aboard.
            >
            > Lately I have been considering another boat plan that is not one of
            > Jim's. But I may have to reconsider again if your build works out:-)
            >
            > Your hull is looking really great. No problems with the "twist factor"
            > it would seem.
            >
            > Keep us posted.
            >
            > Nels
            >

            > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "owen" <obuerkle@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hey folks, I haven't posted here before but I started building a
            > Twister a couple months ago so I thought I would let anyone who was
            > interested know. A while ago someone on this group suggested a
            > modification to make it so you can lay down in the cabin. I am doing
            > that with my boat so thanks for the idea. I put a couple of pictures in
            > the photos section under "twister"
            > >
            > > Owen

          • owen
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 2, 2009
              I'm doing the bridge deck modification for all the reasons stated. I think they make a lot of sense. I'm a little worried about losing footroom in the cockpit but I think it will work out. I'm going to mock it up before I install the extra bulkhead permaently. I have the middle bulkhead made with a frame at the bottom and a cutout in it. You can see that in one of the pictures.

              I think the boat makes sense for me because I want to sail but relistically a lot of days when I'm off work there won't be wind and I'll want to go fishing or putter around or do something on the water. I kitesurf as well and nothing is as depressing as waiting for wind. I live near a large river and there is way more water than I could ever cover with oars so a motor will be essential. I hope it turns out to be a good compromise.

              Thanks for the comments, I'll post more pictures as it progresses.

              Owen

              --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "scr243" <scr243@...> wrote:

              > Nells,
              >
              > That would make a useful modification on almost any cabin boat. It gives you less cockpit volume to hold water, an extra seat in the cockpit, more cabin space, less likely to splash water in the cabin if you have a bridge deck also. I also considered the Twister as a good potential for a river boat. Looking forward to seeing photos of the completed boat.
              >
              > Stan
              >
              > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Nels A" <arvent@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi Owen,
              > >
              > > Looking good and thanks for posting the photos!
              > >
              > > I was considering building a Twister at one point because I saw it as a
              > > nice little river boat just using a small motor, with the sail as an
              > > optional extra.
              > >
              > > I was looking at installing a short bridge deck a ft. aft of the main
              > > bulkhead and removing the bottom portion of the main bulkhead to give an
              > > extra ft. of "foot-room" under the bridge deck. Then decking over the
              > > space created which would give a seating area against the main bulkhead
              > > which I felt would keep crew weight further forward to help in keeping
              > > the hull level with two or more people aboard.
              > >
              > > Lately I have been considering another boat plan that is not one of
              > > Jim's. But I may have to reconsider again if your build works out:-)
              > >
              > > Your hull is looking really great. No problems with the "twist factor"
              > > it would seem.
              > >
              > > Keep us posted.
              > >
              > > Nels
              > >

              > > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "owen" <obuerkle@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Hey folks, I haven't posted here before but I started building a
              > > Twister a couple months ago so I thought I would let anyone who was
              > > interested know. A while ago someone on this group suggested a
              > > modification to make it so you can lay down in the cabin. I am doing
              > > that with my boat so thanks for the idea. I put a couple of pictures in
              > > the photos section under "twister"
              > > >
              > > > Owen

            • owen
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 21, 2009
                I fiberglassed the bottom of my Twister today, I put a couple more pictures in the twister folder. Twisting the bottom wasn't as big a deal as I thought it might be. I used a ratchet stap to pull it into shape while I wire tied it.

                I am wondering about the pro's and con's of free flooding motor well's. Is the affect on bouyancy of the rear of the boat affected negatively or is it generally not noticable? I am thinking about making drain holes that I can plug. Anyone have any experiences?

                Owen

                --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "scr243" <scr243@...> wrote:

                > I'm glad to see someone building a Twister, I was always curious how well the design would sail. What modification are you making to the cabin?
                >
                > Stan
                >
                > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "owen" <obuerkle@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hey folks, I haven't posted here before but I started building a Twister a couple months ago so I thought I would let anyone who was interested know. A while ago someone on this group suggested a modification to make it so you can lay down in the cabin. I am doing that with my boat so thanks for the idea. I put a couple of pictures in the photos section under "twister"
                > >
                > > Owen

              • Nels A
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 23, 2009
                  Owen,

                  Wow nice progress! Did you notice one of your photos appeared in Jim's
                  most recent newsletters?

                  So you got a really nice hull there and the plans call for cutting some
                  holes in it now. I can relate to your concern:-)

                  Just be aware that if you plug the holes or make them too small the
                  free-flooding or self draining benefit gets compromised.

                  Not sure how it works with the Twister design but I have heard that on
                  Bolger's Micro, some water in the wells helps to dampen hobby-horsing
                  with a short hull in big waves. Also rainwater drains right off when
                  the boat is sitting on a trailer.

                  There are scuppers and drain hardware that open to allow water to exit
                  but close to prevent water from backing up. Some options here:

                  <http://www.discountmarinesupplies.com/HARDWARE-Scuppers_Drains.html>

                  Nels

                  --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "owen" <obuerkle@...> wrote:

                  > I fiberglassed the bottom of my Twister today, I put a couple more
                  pictures in the twister folder. Twisting the bottom wasn't as big a
                  deal as I thought it might be. I used a ratchet stap to pull it into
                  shape while I wire tied it.

                  > I am wondering about the pro's and con's of free flooding motor
                  well's. Is the affect on bouyancy of the rear of the boat affected
                  negatively or is it generally not noticable? I am thinking about making
                  drain holes that I can plug. Anyone have any experiences?

                  > Owen
                  >

                  > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "scr243" scr243@ wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I'm glad to see someone building a Twister, I was always curious how
                  well the design would sail. What modification are you making to the
                  cabin?

                  > > Stan
                  > >
                  > > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "owen" <obuerkle@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Hey folks, I haven't posted here before but I started building a
                  Twister a couple months ago so I thought I would let anyone who was
                  interested know. A while ago someone on this group suggested a
                  modification to make it so you can lay down in the cabin. I am doing
                  that with my boat so thanks for the idea. I put a couple of pictures in
                  the photos section under "twister"

                  > > > Owen

                • owen
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 24, 2009
                    I did notice it was in the news letter, It made my day! I was thinking of making them relatively small and easy to plug but perhaps thats not a good plan.

                    Those scuppers look like a neat option.

                    Owen