RE: [Michalak] Re: Plywood density

  • Andrew Wallace
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 5, 2009
      Hello Christine,
      Just spent a cruisy half hour perusing and enjoying your Skerry project. Thanks for posting all those photos - you've made a beautiful job of it and have my admiration.
      Presume you may have another month of good weather - fair winds and happy sailing..
      Andrew.
      (New Zealand).

      To: michalak@yahoogroups.com
      From: c_demerchant@...
      Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 15:57:09 -0400
      Subject: RE: [Michalak] Re: Plywood density

      Hi Nels

      I build a Chesapeake Light Craft Skerry. Most of the build was Okume except for the rudder blade and arm and centreboard.

      Finish is epoxy coating then Epiphane enamel on board and rudder plate, Behr spar varnish on the rudder arm.

      The Russian Ply, (or Baltic Ply) was purchased in Toronto Canada.

      It is fairly widely available here. The 1/2 inch (or metric equivalent more likely) came from Home Depot and Rona, 2 big boxes. These were the handy panels of 2x4 feet. I also bought some from Commonwealth Plywoods in full but smaller than usual sheets. It stocks the thinner and thicker versions. I really liked the 3mm I bought for another non boat project.

      I always thought that it would be a really good wood for parts of a Toto. More joints but honest strong wood. I think that the butt joints with fiberglass method would be easy.

      Before I used it, I boiled it for a long time and it held up fine.

      My boat building record is here: http://www.christinedemerchant.com/skerry.html

      The rudder photos are on this page: http://www.christinedemerchant.com/rudder.html