How far will a Trolling motor take you

  • arthurwade1941
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 4 5:31 PM
      I have had my log rule and slide tables out to calculate how far my Trolling motor will take me in the various gears into and with the wind the results are quite interesting. The figures assume the battery is to be discharged to 50%.
      With the wind 5th gear 12km
      4th gear 16km
      3rd gear 18.7km
      2nd gear 21km
      1st gear 24.5km
      Against the wind
      5th gear 7.8km
      4th gear 10.5km
      3rd gear 11km
      2nd gear 11.6km
      1st gear 10.6km
      Conclusion, with the wind 3rd or 4th gear good value, against the wind stay home and read a book, if you must travel 3rd gear will get you 11km at 2.5km/hr. Regards, Arthur.
    • Alan Shapcott
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 4 6:22 PM
        Some more interesting information Arthur...I think you could get quite a lot better range
        if you went to a pulsed controller. You may be able to add one to your system and leave your existing motor, switched permanently to 5th- ie no resistors.
        Manufacturers claim as much as 4 to 5 times improvement in operation time with the PWM controllers, so even allowing for some cynicism, should be a bit better.
        By the way, do you know of a reasonably-priced high-current ammeter? What have you been using for your tests?
        Cheers,
        Alan.

        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 5 12:00 AM
          Hello Alan, I used a Fluke 87 multimeter with a tong tester connected and a Garmin GPS for the speed readings. I went looking for some information on the internet but didn't find much except that which you quoted about getting 4 or 5 times the run time from the Minnkota site. I also found one user who thought that his controller had five steps of 8amps each, from my own experience I knew this could not be true as the speed increases very gradually until the resistors get switched out then as you can see from my readings the speed doubles. I would like to change the controller by would probably void the warranty if I did that so I will use what I have at present and select the most economical setting when I want a long run. The reason I am keen to know how these things perform is that I am planning a trip later in the spring and the part of the river that I am going to is very quiet and has lots of wild life which noisy outboards spoil, I should be able to manage 4 to 5 hrs running each day allowing plenty of time to recharge off my generator. Regards, Arthur --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Alan Shapcott <logicaid@...> wrote:

          > Some more interesting information Arthur...I think you could get quite a lot better range
          > if you went to a pulsed controller. You may be able to add one to your system and leave your existing motor, switched permanently to 5th- ie no resistors.
          > Manufacturers claim as much as 4 to 5 times improvement in operation time with the PWM controllers, so even allowing for some cynicism, should be a bit better.
          > By the way, do you know of a reasonably-priced high-current ammeter? What have you been using for your tests?
          > Cheers,
          > Alan.

        • Andrew Wallace
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 5 2:09 AM
            Hello Arthur - and Alan,
            Thanks Arthur for your post (3rd Aug) on charger and batteries - I still have a long way to go to familiarize myself with trolling motor technicalities and operation. Seems like a good idea to have multiples of smaller a/h batteries if only to ease lifting and loading. Your figures for speed vs amp-draw and wind conditions are very informative.
            Thanks (Alan) for the suggestion that it might be possible to add a pulsed controller into the motor circuit. Any idea where I can find straightforward information on circuitry and hardware?
            Cheers,
            Andrew.

            Subject: [Michalak] Re: How far will a Trolling motor take you?

[...]

            ._,___

          • Andrew Wallace
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 5 3:42 AM
              Alan,
              I found a useful website on PWM controllers...very interesting.
              Here it is: www.4qd.co.uk/
              Andrew.

              To: michalak@yahoogroups.com
              From: nzblacksheep@...
              Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 21:09:32 +1200

              Thanks (Alan) for the suggestion that it might be possible to add a pulsed controller into the motor circuit. Any idea where I can find straightforward information on circuitry and hardware?

              Cheers,

              Andrew.

            • John Kohnen
              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 7 8:52 PM
                You can put a PWM controller between the battery and the trolling motor
                without opening the control head. Hook the leads from motor to the
                controller and leave the motor set on '5'. There won't be any risk tot he
                warranty.

                --
                John <jkohnen@...>
                I cannot help thinking that the people with motor boats miss a
                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 8 2:29 AM
                  Hello John,
                  So for my 'Riptide 36' it would appear that a suitable PWM controller would have to be able to handle up to 35amps at 12v. I haven't found one yet on the Net - would you have any recommendations?
                  Thanks,
                  Andrew.

                  > To: Michalak@yahoogroups.com
                  > From: jhkohnen@...
                  > Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 20:52:43 -0700
                  > Subject: Re: [Michalak] Re: How far will a Trolling motor take you
                  >
                  > You can put a PWM controller between the battery and the trolling motor
                  > without opening the control head. Hook the leads from motor to the
                  > controller and leave the motor set on '5'. There won't be any risk to the
                  > warranty.

                • John Kohnen
                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 8 4:52 PM
                    This fellow sells a controller that's work fine with your motor:

                    http://www.kingfisherelectricboat.com/KFproducts.htm

                    PWM controllers aren't cheap. :o( Ask over on the Electric Boats Yahoo
                    group and you'll get some other ideas. A controller for a cheap Chinese
                    electric scooter, or similar application, might work. Let us know what you
                    find out:

                    On Sat, 08 Aug 2009 02:29:27 -0700, Andrew W wrote:

                    > So for my 'Riptide 36' it would appear that a suitable PWM controller
                    > would have to be able to handle up to 35amps at 12v. I haven't found one
                    > yet on the Net - would you have any recommendations?

                    --
                    John <jkohnen@...>
                    People say that life is the thing, but I prefer reading. <Logan
                    Pearsall Smith>
                  • Alan Shapcott
                    Message 9 of 21 , Aug 8 7:06 PM
                      Hi Andrew,
                      Yes, some good stuff on that site. There is quite a bit of info on controllers  as similar  basic circuitry used  whatever the end application. Off-road radio-controlled  'buggys' is one area where you might find something. They use similar voltages and quite high current. I have tried to find controllers as used on electric bikes and scooters, but seems they are all higher voltage now and therefore lower current. Should not be a difficult thing to make if you know something about electronics or have someone who does. I have a little 20lb motor which needs a controller and may eventually get around to making one.

                      To: michalak@yahoogroups.com
                      From: nzblacksheep@...
                      Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 21:09:32 +1200

                      Thanks (Alan) for the suggestion that it might be possible to add a pulsed controller into the motor circuit. Any idea where I can find straightforward information on circuitry and hardware?

                      Cheers,

                      Andrew.

                    • Nels
                      Message 10 of 21 , Aug 9 5:13 PM
                        In my view - after studying the complications of electric power for
                        about 3 years now - is that a small gas outboard is still the best
                        option overall. But I could be readily convinced otherwise if someone
                        could come up with some real time, real life experiential data to change
                        my mind.

                        Some of my reasoning include:

                        A trolling motor is sadly lacking in power, compared to even the
                        smallest outboard including a 1.2 hp kicker I once had and wished I
                        still owned.

                        No matter how you look at it - you are dealing with at least one or
                        maybe two large heavy deep-cycle batteries as compared to a small one
                        gallon gas can - that has more energy stored in it than the batteries
                        and can be completely emptied with no fear of damaging the storage
                        source.

                        Electric motors are not as quiet as some seem to indicate. The quietest
                        form of locomotion is a simple sail plan. So I can power upstream - even
                        against a current with my outboard and drift/sail downstream to view and
                        photograph wild-life and nature which is a hobby of mine. And then get
                        quickly off the river if the weather turns sour - even in a cross or
                        head wind, deal with big boat wakes etc.

                        No generator to be concerned with along with it's gas can. Even though I
                        own one, which sits idle in my garage.

                        A small gas kicker can be easily removed and securely stored away from
                        the boat with no worry about heavy batteries and all the associated
                        wiring and connections.

                        If I want to go slow and quiet, in calm conditions, I still have oars or
                        a yuloh as back-up control and steerage.

                        But this all is based on having a capable sail boat to begin with.

                        Nels

                        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Alan Shapcott <logicaid@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Andrew,
                        > Yes, some good stuff on that site. There is quite a bit of info on
                        controllers as similar basic circuitry used whatever the end
                        application. Off-road radio-controlled 'buggys' is one area where you
                        might find something. They use similar voltages and quite high current.
                        I have tried to find controllers as used on electric bikes and scooters,
                        but seems they are all higher voltage now and therefore lower current.
                        Should not be a difficult thing to make if you know something about
                        electronics or have someone who does. I have a little 20lb motor which
                        needs a controller and may eventually get around to making one.
                        > Cheers,
                        > Alan.
                      • Andrew Wallace
                        Message 11 of 21 , Aug 9 7:21 PM
                          I do agree with much of your reasoning Nels - I just don't like noise and have an even greater dislike of the mess where petrol-power is concerned.
                          My 'Featherwind', with Minn Kota 36lb Riptide - is a sort of experiment. I'll see how the electric motor goes, but in any event expect to be sailing/rowing most of the time.
                          Andrew.

                          To: Michalak@yahoogroups.com
                          From: arvent@...
                          Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 00:13:59 +0000

                          In my view - after studying the complications of electric power for

                          about 3 years now - is that a small gas outboard is still the best

                          option overall. But I could be readily convinced otherwise if someone

                          could come up with some real time, real life experiential data to change my mind.

                          Some of my reasoning includes:

                          Message 12 of 21 , Aug 9 11:08 PM
                            ---- Nels <arvent@...> wrote:
                            > In my view - after studying the complications of electric power for
                            > about 3 years now - is that a small gas outboard is still the best
                            > option overall. But I could be readily convinced otherwise if someone
                            > could come up with some real time, real life experiential data to change
                            > my mind.

                            Any reputable manufacturer can give you that information.
                          • daschultz2000
                            Message 13 of 21 , Aug 10 4:33 AM
                              I agree w' Nels. Careful planning and maintenance of the gas can is all that's needed to make a gas motor good. The weekend I took my ancient Grumman aluminum canoe out on a local river. Very windy, blowing straight upstream, and good current heading down, so a 40lb thrust Minn-kota from a recent garage sale made the day's cruise much fun, though my sister in law chided me that it wasn't canoeing.

                              I've gotta drop another $80 on a nice charger to preserve my $75 investment in the battery. Lugging the battery is no fun, and keeping is secure in the case of an 'event' w' the canoe is tough. I'd rather have gone gasoline but that would have rocked the my wife's sensibilities. So electric it is.

                              A 1.2 would be amazingly good, and much lighter to haul around.
                            • Nels
                              Message 14 of 21 , Aug 10 9:24 AM
                                Hi hathway14,

                                I would welcome any link to such a reputable manufacturer with *unbiased* "real conditions" information that compares the performance of a small electric to small gas engine.

                                Any demonstrations I have seen regarding electric trolling motors revolve around ideal weather and very quiet water.

                                However a trolling motor is designed to be used in conjunction with a full-time gas motor in most cases. In that capacity it does fine if one doesn't mind the extra expense and complication.Minn Kota even has a charger you can recharge your battery bank off a gas motor alternator:-)

                                Here is what Minn Kota recommends if you want 2 HP primary propulsion electric drive. ($2600 USD)

                                http://www.minnkotamotors.com/selectamotor/

                                You still require the batteries, charger, and all the associated wiring connections. With this motor, 4 12 dc deep cycle and you can figure out which charger you need from this table.

                                <http://www.minnkotamotors.com/products/battery_chargers/select-a-charger.aspx?linkidentifier=id&itemid=2890>

                                I can carry my old 2.5 HP Evinrude in one hand and the gas can in the other.

                                Another thing - the newest types of 2-cyle oil are remarkedly low in smoke producing ash and have anti fouling and long-term storage additives already in them.

                                Nels

                                Thanks,

                                Nels

                                Message 15 of 21 , Aug 10 9:33 AM
                                  --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "daschultz2000" <daschultz8275@...>
                                  wrote:

                                  > I agree w' Nels. Careful planning and maintenance of the gas can is
                                  all that's needed to make a gas motor good. The weekend I took my
                                  ancient Grumman aluminum canoe out on a local river. Very windy,
                                  blowing straight upstream, and good current heading down, so a 40lb
                                  thrust Minn-kota from a recent garage sale made the day's cruise much
                                  fun, though my sister in law chided me that it wasn't canoeing.

                                  Don,

                                  That scenario sounds very scary to me. You can get some very steep waves
                                  on the river here with lines of whitecaps when that happens and one must
                                  stay very close to shore. Did you go upstream first? Turning to go back
                                  downstream can be very tricky. Another funny thing is when the wind is
                                  blowing downstream here the water looks deceivingly flat and benign
                                  until you get out in it and find the wind to be blowing like crazy and
                                  it becomes impossible to control the canoe going upstream.

                                  How far did you go?

                                  Nels
                                • daschultz2000
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Aug 11 8:07 AM
                                    Well, I guess it wasn't enough wind to make things as nasty as you are thinking. No whitecaps, which would have been a red flag for me. We would have gone hiking instead.

                                    But certainly enough wind that the Grumman was difficult make hold a heading as soon as it was just a few points off head on into the wind. I really need to make a lee board for it, or get out some rivets, buy a couple of pieces of aluminum angle and put more keels on the bottom.

                                    Yes, upstream first. Over our route Sunday, at the widest (also the launch point), the Fox was about 1/4 mile and narrowest 70 yards. The narrowest had the fastest current, but also was well sheltered from the wind.

                                    We went upstream from the launch point 2.5 miles, returned to the lp, and then continues on down stream 0.5 mile, and returned to the launch point. We were out 2 hours and motored for 1.5 hours of that time.

                                    Don

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Aug 11 4:46 PM
                                      Don,

                                      Sounds like a fun trip and a good test for the motor without getting too far from home.

                                      To help hold course in the wind, I think I would consider a leeboard over adding aluminum angle attached to the hull bottom. Reason being that a leeboard gives you a pivot point to aid in maneuvering whereas keel strips like that tend to resist turning when you want to. And then there is the challenge of sealing the rivet holes.

                                      The challenge with a leeboard is to get it secured to stay vertical and parallel with the keel when under way and still have it swing up if it hits the bottom.

                                      Nels

                                      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "daschultz2000" <daschultz8275@...> wrote:

                                      > Well, I guess it wasn't enough wind to make things as nasty as you are thinking. No whitecaps, which would have been a red flag for me. We would have gone hiking instead.
                                      >
                                      > But certainly enough wind that the Grumman was difficult make hold a heading as soon as it was just a few points off head on into the wind. I really need to make a lee board for it, or get out some rivets, buy a couple of pieces of aluminum angle and put more keels on the bottom.
                                      >
                                      > Yes, upstream first. Over our route Sunday, at the widest (also the launch point), the Fox was about 1/4 mile and narrowest 70 yards. The narrowest had the fastest current, but also was well sheltered from the wind.
                                      >
                                      > We went upstream from the launch point 2.5 miles, returned to the lp, and then continues on down stream 0.5 mile, and returned to the launch point. We were out 2 hours and motored for 1.5 hours of that time.
                                      >
                                      > Don
                                      >
                                      > > Don,
                                      > >
                                      > > That scenario sounds very scary to me. You can get some very steep waves......

                                    • Alan
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Aug 11 5:42 PM
                                        Hi,
                                        Some good info here, just the sort of thing that someone thinking of electric needs to hear. What size battery do you use, and how much of its capacity do you think you used on that trip? Is your motor a fixed-speeds one, or PWM-Variable? Are you a convert to electric now or still under duress!! :-)
                                        Cheers,
                                        Alan

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Aug 12 2:32 AM
                                          The battery specs I'll have to get back to you. I'm away from it. I used it Sunday as it came from Wal-Mart, approximately 80% charge per what I've read. Because of the success, I've got $80 worth the battery charger on the way. Don't have a meter, so I don't know where I am in remaining capacity. I'm thinking to hook a car headlight to it to further discharge it and then put the fancy new charger on it.

                                          It's a well used Minn-Kota Endura 40, with the stock controller, no PWM.

                                          A convert? No. I always knew there would be trade offs. I really dislike the weight of the battery, but once lugged out of the truck to the shore, it rides well in the canoe's mid-section.

                                          The 40 seems to be enough of thrust.

                                          Don

                                          --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Alan" <logicaid@...> wrote:

                                          > Hi,
                                          > Some good info here, just the sort of thing that someone thinking of electric needs to hear. What size battery do you use, and how much of its capacity do you think you used on that trip? Is your motor a fixed-speeds one, or PWM-Variable? Are you a convert to electric now or still under duress!! :-)
                                          > Cheers,
                                          > Alan
                                        • Alan Shapcott
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Aug 12 4:13 AM
                                            Thanks for the update Don.
                                            If the new charger is an 'intelligent' one it should be able
                                            to get the battery to full-charge correctly no matter what its
                                            present level is. I believe these monitor for the very subtle changes
                                            in battery voltage around the fully-charged point to determine
                                            where the battery is at. I have a low-power type which
                                            seems to do a good job on smaller SLA batteries of 12 to 18 Amp/hrs,
                                            but takes a while because its only 2Amps output.
                                            Cheers,
                                            Alan.
                                            BTW,  the silence is worth having isnt it? Specially with two people .
                                            Like the difference between a motor-sickle and a bicycle?

                                            The battery specs I'll have to get back to you.  I'm away from it.  I used it Sunday as it came from Wal-Mart, approximately 80% charge per what I've read.  Because of the success, I've got $80 worth the battery charger on the way.  Don't have a meter, so I don't know where I am in remaining capacity.  I'm thinking to hook a car headlight to it to further discharge it and then put the fancy new charger on it.

                                            It's a well used Minn-Kota Endura 40, with the stock controller, no PWM.

                                            A convert? No.  I always knew there would be trade offs.  I really dislike the weight of the battery, but once lugged out of the truck to the shore, it rides well in the canoe's mid-section.

                                            The 40 seems to be enough of thrust.

                                            Don

                                            --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Alan" <logicaid@...> wrote:

                                            > Hi,
                                            > Some good info here, just the sort of thing that someone thinking of electric needs to hear. What size battery do you use, and how much of its capacity do you think you used on that trip? Is your motor a fixed-speeds one, or PWM-Variable? Are you a convert to electric now or still under duress!! :-)
                                            > Cheers,
                                            > Alan

                                          • daschultz2000
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Aug 13 6:38 AM
                                              Yeah. I decided to buy a Minn-Kota branded charger, spending more $$ because their description of its battery maintenance capability was more clearly described than for less expensive chargers. I also am going to be careful to "train" the battery regarding the discharge/recharge cycle.

                                              I'm still very impressed with the performance last Sunday. My only concern is that I bought more battery than I needed.

                                              Regarding the installation, I'm tempted to shorten the vertical pipe and remount the tiller/controller head, but I am sure I'll reuse the motor on other boats in the future, and will need the length then, so I'll leave it as is.

                                              I have plans for "Dean's Box", and the AF-4G. DB would make very good use of the electric, with the battery doubling as ballast.

                                              Don