Re: Arthurs Piccup Downunder

  • arthurwade1941
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 7, 2009
      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "miles_bore" <miles_bore@...> wrote:

      > Hi Arthur
      > Looks like a beautiful job. If you get the chance to post some photos of her sailing at some stage that would be great.
      > Cheers
      > Miles.
      >

      > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "arthurwade1941" <mwade@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hello all, I have recently completed my Piccup Pram and am about to go off for my first sail. This has been by far the fastest build of all my boats, I started cutting out the ply at Easter and finished the job mid June I had previously made the spars, leeboard, rudder etc then I was crook for a few months and had to take a break. I have posted a few photos that may interest some of you, I have a pretty nifty little jinker for moving these small boats around I have included some photos of this on the Piccup and my grandsons Sherpa. Regards, Arthur.

      Thank you Miles, I am very happy with the results of my labour. I used marine ply as I don't trust the construction grade available here in South Australia. I have just returned from my first row and sail, I am a bit of a chicken so I put the sail from the Sherpa on for the first run and nearly turned her over with a crash jibe. My trouble is I have nearly reached three score and ten and I was not quick enough from my seating position on the floor, I will be adding a thwart soon. The small sail pushed her along fine and I am not in a great hurry to get anywhere. The sail I had made for the Piccup is the bigger option and there is no way that is going on the mast when I am in the boat. I tried that same sail on my Welsford Navigator with the Mizzen and no Jib and with myself and a 100kg crew we were doing 9km/hr by the GPS. I also found that the boat rows great. I will post some sailing photos when I go out next. Regards, Arthur.